Ownership directed Front Office attend all QB prospects' games in 2017

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I see in no way possible that Barkley isn't drafted in the top 2. That's just my opinion. I also grade these QBs so close together that I see absolutely no reason to trade up or one. Can any of you sit here and 100% tell me that Darnold will be better than Rosen, Mayfield and Allen? That Rosen will be better than Darnold, Mayfield and Allen? That's Mayfield will be better than Darnold, Rosen and Allen? That's Allen will be better than Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield? There's a reason why so many people have the QB rankings so different its bc of obviously personal choice and the main fact that none of them are THAT much better or worse than the other. They each have pros and cons. So therefor I see no reason to trade several valuable assets to get a guy, when in fact the QB we could get at 6 could be better than the traded up guy all along.

Even if Barkley goes top 2 and let's say a QB also goes top 2, what stops Buffalo, Miami, AZ, etc. from trading up to 3 and 4?  Denver could also take a QB.

We signed 2 extremely high character and smart QB's, this screams that if we plan on drafting a QB it will be with the intention of developing him as thoroughly as possible.  That is one of the reasons I think Lamar could really be in play for us.  I don't think it is a stretch to say that if developed right he has probably the 2nd highest ceiling in this entire class right up there with Allen, for different reasons obviously. 

We also have vowed to establish the run more.  If that is our long term plan then what helps the running game more than even just the threat of the QB taking off.  I wouldn't be a proponent of having him do a ton of designed runs, but just a few per game to keep the D honest helps the RB sooooo much.  Just look at the Skins running game when RG3 was out there and healthy, and when he wasn't.  Alfred Morris looked like the best RB in the league for a short time, but not when RG3 was out.  

Lastly one of the guys we signed is Teddy 2 Gloves.  Went to the same school and presumably knows Lamar a bit.  He can help him transition from the same offense they were both in in college to his pro offense. 

I really feel like the best outcome for us is we draft a QB this year, sit him, Teddy plays this year and plays well, we are able to franchise Teddy and flip him for a good draft pick, and our rookie takes over in year 2.  

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Even if Barkley goes top 2 and let's say a QB also goes top 2, what stops Buffalo, Miami, AZ, etc. from trading up to 3 and 4?  Denver could also take a QB.

If all 4 are gone than draft Chubb. Then look into trading back up into Round 1 for Jackson. Like we almost did last year for Watson (so it’s not far fetched).

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

If all 4 are gone than draft Chubb. Then look into trading back up into Round 1 for Jackson. Like we almost did last year for Watson (so it’s not far fetched).

That's a nightmare scenario because if you can't back into the first, you're stuck with a 2nd tier QB and two vets on a one year deal.

27 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

That leaves Nelson or Chubb for us.... two guys who will be a more immediate help and a possible cornerstone to our roster.

So short sighted to think we should mortage the future so we can have a qb to start the 2019 season. 

...maybe not short sighted, just asinine as we could trade up this year for a qb and then wind up with the #1 next year where a QB is a better value. As it is, those qbs are fine value dor the teams picking in those spots, they def arent worth the value of trading into those spots. Imo.

1 minute ago, KodiakThunder said:

That leaves Nelson or Chubb for us.... two guys who will be a more immediate help and a possible cornerstone to our roster.

So short sighted to think we should mortage the future so we can have a qb to start the 2019 season. 

No dude, it's short-sighted to not take a QB when you have a top 6 pick in what most consider a strong QB class.  Without a franchise QB, we'll never win a thing.

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

I have no clue if this has any truth at all to it but Jets Twitter is talking about it

For discussions sake I would not be happy with this move unless he falls to 37.

I really want this to be true.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I see in no way possible that Barkley isn't drafted in the top 2. That's just my opinion. I also grade these QBs so close together that I see absolutely no reason to trade up or one. Can any of you sit here and 100% tell me that Darnold will be better than Rosen, Mayfield and Allen? That Rosen will be better than Darnold, Mayfield and Allen? That's Mayfield will be better than Darnold, Rosen and Allen? That's Allen will be better than Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield? There's a reason why so many people have the QB rankings so different its bc of obviously personal choice and the main fact that none of them are THAT much better or worse than the other. They each have pros and cons. So therefor I see no reason to trade several valuable assets to get a guy, when in fact the QB we could get at 6 could be better than the traded up guy all along.

I'm actually starting to think that Barkley could drop to us at six. I have a feeling at least 2 and maybe 3 QB's are going in the first three picks. Either the Giants or the Colts may trade down. Also, the Giants might go with Nelson second overall. That left side (Solder and Nelson) might be too tempting. Plus they have Jonathan Stewart, and can draft an RB later. OR, maybe all this Eli/win-now talk for the Giants is a smokescreen and they really do draft a QB second overall. Indy is very interesting at three. I feel they will almost surely draft a defensive player if they keep the pick. If they trade the pick, somebody is coming up to grab a QB. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I love that idea. If we could somehow land Nelson, Barkley or Chubb (I will trust your wisdom that he can play in our scheme) with the sixth pick, then maybe trade Bilal Powell in order to move back into the first round by also dealing our 1st second rounder, we could grab Jackson and make this draft ours!

I absolutely love the idea of having McCown, Bridgewater and Jackson as our 3 QBS in camp. Hackenberg can be traded for a late rounder, Petty can be cut. 

I am excited now.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

No dude, it's short-sighted to not take a QB when you have a top 6 pick in what most consider a strong QB class.  Without a franchise QB, we'll never win a thing.

Really? How many franchise qb's made the playoffs last year??

Didnt realize nick foles was a franchise qb.

Just now, Dr.O said:

I'm cool with Jackson, my personal rankings right now would probably be

1. Josh Rosen

2. Baker Mayfield

3. Sam Darnold

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Luke Falk/Kyle Lauletta 

I love Jackson but i really only wanted him if we were willing to let him sit for a year.  It looks like that is exactly what we are setting up to do with the moves we made.

4 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I'm cool with Jackson, my personal rankings right now would probably be

1. Josh Rosen

2. Baker Mayfield

3. Sam Darnold

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Luke Falk/Kyle Lauletta 

According to Casserly, Kyle Lauletta will be drafted by the Patriots as the next heir apparent to the boy wonder.

Just some interesting draft statistics to keep an eye out for... 

• There has never been 4 QBs drafted within the top 6 picks in NFL Draft history. 
  • The last and only time 4 QBs were drafted within the top 10 picks was in 1959. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 6 picks has happened 5 times: 1999, 1971, 1959, 1954, and 1948. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 picks has happened 10 times, most recently in 2011 and 2012. 

Archived