Free Agency Tracker

VigilantZombie

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

If I recall correctly, we only currently have about 7 million to spend. Even if we free up more money, we probably aren't going to spend more than a few million on a given player.

I do agree. I'm not disappointed. Landing him was a pipe dream . Boston is the guy is really like to see us land.

Tre Boston coming to the Steelers is a long shot imo.  Every year he's played, he benefited from some good pass rushers where he could just take the top off.  Steelers lack that pass rush.  Yes we led the NFL in sacks but that was due to heavy blitzing which will put more stress on the Safeties.  Boston hasn't played in a system like ours and I wonder if he can handle it.  There are some Steelers' players who're following him but that means nothing.

5 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Tre Boston coming to the Steelers is a long shot imo.  Every year he's played, he benefited from some good pass rushers where he could just take the top off.  Steelers lack that pass rush.  Yes we led the NFL in sacks but that was due to heavy blitzing which will put more stress on the Safeties.  Boston hasn't played in a system like ours and I wonder if he can handle it.  There are some Steelers' players who're following him but that means nothing.

I think he can handle it for one reason. He’s good at keeping the lid on. I would expect our pass rush to improve if we did a better job of not springing leaks that easily. 

I was looking over some stuff from last year and we had a league worse 2 coverage sacks. 2 sacks because no one could get open. We were terrible in pressure from that too. So, IMO, part of the blitzing came from the leaky secondary (I’m looking at all the issues that happened in the Davis/Mitchel/Burns cover 3) so we blitzed to give the QB less time. 

Also matters what a blitz is. Is it anyone that’s not a DL coming? More than 4 rushers? Someone from an unexpected spot? Because some “blitzes” were just 4 man rushes with a DB or ILB coming instead of a OLB. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I think he can handle it for one reason. He’s good at keeping the lid on. I would expect our pass rush to improve if we did a better job of not springing leaks that easily. 

I was looking over some stuff from last year and we had a league worse 2 coverage sacks. 2 sacks because no one could get open. We were terrible in pressure from that too. So, IMO, part of the blitzing came from the leaky secondary (I’m looking at all the issues that happened in the Davis/Mitchel/Burns cover 3) so we blitzed to give the QB less time. 

Also matters what a blitz is. Is it anyone that’s not a DL coming? More than 4 rushers? Someone from an unexpected spot? Because some “blitzes” were just 4 man rushes with a DB or ILB coming instead of a OLB. 

All my years of playing and watching football, anyone that wasn't a part of the DL was considered a blitzer.  There are so many specialized defenses nowadays, most don't work, that a DT is considered a Mike LB.  Mike Mitchell thrived in Carolina but the Steelers didn't have the same system and pass rush which opened up big flaws in his game.  Boston isn't a SS which is where Wilcox presumably will play.  I expect a more physical style of player rather than the cover guy in FA.  Maybe they go Cover type in the draft with Justin Reid.  Antone Exum is a FS that I'd like to sign on a year contract to see what he can do.

22 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

All my years of playing and watching football, anyone that wasn't a part of the DL was considered a blitzer.  There are so many specialized defenses nowadays, most don't work, that a DT is considered a Mike LB.  Mike Mitchell thrived in Carolina but the Steelers didn't have the same system and pass rush which opened up big flaws in his game.  Boston isn't a SS which is where Wilcox presumably will play.  I expect a more physical style of player rather than the cover guy in FA.  Maybe they go Cover type in the draft with Justin Reid.  Antone Exum is a FS that I'd like to sign on a year contract to see what he can do.

See I’ve been brought through coaching with “anything over 4 rushers is a blitz” because of the increased use of 3-4’s. 

Because technically could be argued with your version that we Blitz 80% of the time. But NFL tracking had us only at 31% of the time. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

See I’ve been brought through coaching with “anything over 4 rushers is a blitz” because of the increased use of 3-4’s. 

Because technically could be argued with your version that we Blitz 80% of the time. But NFL tracking had us only at 31% of the time. 

I lean towards this thinking in regards to blitzing. Also depends on your front of course, a 5 man pressure in a 4 man front, is a blitz

It's really apples and oranges though. Almost everything is considered a pressure or a blitz whether you bring 4 or 5 

If you run a 43 scheme and anyone besides your DL attacks the LOS without making any keys or reads, we called it a Blitz.  Example A: 43 MLB Fire means the MLB is attacking the A gap without regardless if it's a run or pass.  Example B: 43 MLB Green Dog is more of a read the RB , if locked in coverage and he blocks, you attack the QB.  Regarding the Steelers, we rushed/blitzed CB Mike Hilton so much but most of it had LBs dropping into coverage which made it 4 vs 5.  The market value for Tre Boston is $8.2 million according to Spotrac

Archived