2018 Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Deadpulse

Is there any credence to the rumor that NE was targeting TE Mike Gesicki at #43?

Or is this a "NE traded back after Miami's selection, so let's make it seem like he was a target for Belichick so the pick looks good" type deal?

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Is there any credence to the rumor that NE was targeting TE Mike Gesicki at #43?

Or is this a "NE traded back after Miami's selection, so let's make it seem like he was a target for Belichick so the pick looks good" type deal?

First time reading anything about the Pats and Gesicki. I think the Pats probably saw better value in the later rounds at linebacker specifically given that the Titans traded up to 41 to take Harold Landry. The Pats moved up from the 63rd pick to take a corner, (Duke Dawson), who maybe they thought would have been drafted already and were worried another team would jump in front of them again to take. They were also jumped reportedly in the first round by the Lions for Frank Ragnow. Pats ended up sticking with 23 and taking best OL available in Isaiah Wynn. Had Sony Michel been picked by Seattle or someone else by 31, then maybe the Pats don't trade 43 to the Lions to draft Kerryon Johnson.

Also, if Baker Mayfield slipped out of the top 3, Albert Breer and others have reported the Patriots would have likely moved both firsts and Gronkowski to get him. In that scenario, then maybe the Pats would be looking to draft Gesicki at 43, but that wasn't the case so I'm not sure how strong those rumors are.

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Also, if Baker Mayfield slipped out of the top 3, Albert Breer and others have reported the Patriots would have likely moved both first and Gronkowski to get him. In that scenario, then maybe the Pats would be looking to draft Gesicki at 43, but that wasn't the case so I'm not sure how strong those rumors are.

It certainly makes more sense within the context of the Gronk rumors. Was just curious if there was any pre-draft smoke between the Pats and Gesicki, sounds like there wasn't really any.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

It certainly makes more sense within the context of the Gronk rumors. Was just curious if there was any pre-draft smoke between the Pats and Gesicki, sounds like there wasn't really any.

Nah, but they drafted tight end Ryan Izzo out of Flordia State in the seventh round. I think he is a long shot to make the team unless injury or money hasn't already been guaranteed to Dwayne Allen. Izzo is a very good practice squad guy.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

There was no smoke that I saw on any interest in TE besides pure speculation from the draftniks. 

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There was no smoke that I saw on any interest in TE besides pure speculation from the draftniks. 

That means it was probably about to happen tbh

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

NE needs to be all over Mychal Kendricks.

Doubt it, because they drafted two linebackers and Kendricks doesn’t strike me as a difference maker. Probably going to get paid a lot more by a desperate team.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Doubt it, because they drafted two linebackers and Kendricks doesn’t strike me as a difference maker. Probably going to get paid a lot more by a desperate team.

Definitely going to get paid. 

I don’t think he’s not a difference maker, though. Maybe not last season for that Eagles squad because they’re stacked everywhere except for corner - where they aren’t too shabby.

But as far as what NE needs in a LB? He fits the bill. Not sure what he brings as far as intelligence FWIW. I just remember him being a great athlete that can cover - basically what we hope Sam could be.

24 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Definitely going to get paid. 

I don’t think he’s not a difference maker, though. Maybe not last season for that Eagles squad because they’re stacked everywhere except for corner - where they aren’t too shabby.

But as far as what NE needs in a LB? He fits the bill. Not sure what he brings as far as intelligence FWIW. I just remember him being a great athlete that can cover - basically what we hope Sam could be.

I just see them rolling with the developmental guys. I’m very hopeful for Christian Sam but pretty optimistic about Bentley FWIW.

29 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I just see them rolling with the developmental guys. I’m very hopeful for Christian Sam but pretty optimistic about Bentley FWIW.

I agree, I’m hoping for the best with the youngsters and Van Noy as a third guy isn’t too shabby. I’m just of the belief that we’re a Hightower injury away from fielding another sorry group in 2018.

Archived