2018 Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Deadpulse

Guys unnofficially linked to the Pats; Suh, Woodhead, Austin Howard

Jordy Nelson looks to be signing with the Raiders, which likely means Crabtree is out

Mike Pouncey got released by the Phins, Center isnt a need but who wouldnt kick those tires?

I think Eric Reid wojld have a huge contract or even be on the 9ers now if he wasn't outspoken. Unlike Kaepernick, I really like Reid as a player. He would be a huge addition but with Belichick's appreciation for the armed forces, it's a technical debate as to whether or not he would be in favor of signing and coaching Eric Reid.

So stupid.

3 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Browns just released Jason McCourty. Would be a huge fan of that signing.

I really see this one happening with his twin brother here and New England seeming a little less attractive to regular free agents than last year.

47 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:
51 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Browns just released Jason McCourty. Would be a huge fan of that signing.

I really see this one happening with his twin brother here and New England seeming a little less attractive to regular free agents than last year.

Jason would be a good #2 and I want the twins reunited so badly

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Probably just me being too much of a fan, but I really wish NE was in on Mathieu.

Where would he play? We'd probably have to cut ties with Chung. Mathieu is an improvement talent wise, but Chung is a perfect fit and knows the system. It wouldnt be a guaranteed improvement at the position and HB would cost more. Rather them stand pat there. Also think HB is a little over-rated (or a lot). 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Probably just me being too much of a fan, but I really wish NE was in on Mathieu.

Wouldn't rule it out. Can never have enough DB depth (as we saw last season) and BB absolutely loves him as a player. Chung's contract is up after next season and he'll be turning 32, so I wouldn't say he's a lock to be around long-term.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Where would he play? We'd probably have to cut ties with Chung. Mathieu is an improvement talent wise, but Chung is a perfect fit and knows the system. It wouldnt be a guaranteed improvement at the position and HB would cost more. Rather them stand pat there. Also think HB is a little over-rated (or a lot). 

Jordan Richards played meaningful snaps for us last season. I think we'd find a role for him. Snark aside he can play safety, big nickel, slot CB, and would be a really fun chess piece for BB and Flores to have on that defense.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

When it came down to it, yeah, it’d probably mean he’s taking Chung’s spot. But Chung is getting up there in age and is entering a contract year. 

Mathieu is really a do-it-all, he’d cover the slot, go outside in a pinch/with correct matchups, play a traditional safety role, play close to the LOS, blitz, cover the running backs out of the backfield, QB spy, etc. He’s a more dynamic version of Chung with more playmaking ability. I’d concede he’d struggle with tight ends more than Chung and may not be as useful in the run game/on special teams. 

Wouldnt want to break the bank for the guy, but he’d be a great chess piece for Bill.

1 minute ago, dhunt2402 said:

Jordan Richards played meaningful snaps for us last season. I think we'd find a role for him. Snark aside he can play safety, big nickel, slot CB, and would be a really fun chess piece for BB and Flores to have on that defense.

He will certainly be priced out of the "we can find a role for him" range IMO. The guy will get paid, probably more than he is worth, and it would not be worth having him and Chung on the same team (who does a lot of what you mentioned above)

29 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He will certainly be priced out of the "we can find a role for him" range IMO. The guy will get paid, probably more than he is worth, and it would not be worth having him and Chung on the same team (who does a lot of what you mentioned above)

And like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think Chung is long for this team (and his level play is certainly trending downward, reminds me of Ninkovich a little). Can afford to have them both on the roster in 2018 easily I'm sure.

Archived