2018 Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

Deadpulse

Matt Slater. Special teamer. Going to Pittsburgh for a visit. Not going to be a huge loss but became a fan favorite. Media people are going to continue their narrative this off season about how the Patriots are turning on Bill Belichick. Maybe this is Bill's last year, maybe he has two more. All I know is he is still doing a good job. The guys who deserve to be back and that they want back, are here. Nate Ebner and Brandon Bolden are as core special teams as Slater. Ebner is coming off an injury rehab I know, but he is a bigger athlete, younger, and already re-signed to a two year deal. I feel confident in the decision to remain cognizant of the future of the team rather than preserving the culture of past teams by re-signing those team's leaders. Belichick knows when to move into a new direction from a player and 2018 is a great example of that.

Like the Patterson move. He's the best KR in the league and one of the all time greats.

I'm not expecting much of him outside of having an impact on ST (return man and gunner). I remember listening to Lombardi speak about Patterson and Belichick's interest in him coming out of college. He basically implied that Belichick loved him, but they really felt that he would struggle to pick up the playbook. I think that's held some truth in his time in the NFL. He could potentially have some impact in our offense as a gadget player; I saw the Raiders used him out of the backfield a tad last year. Maybe he get's a few end around and we don't have to see those from Cooks anymore (yes please). But I think overall his impact in our offense is going to be hampered because from what I've read, he's basically limited to the "hey you're getting the ball, do this" type plays.

That's just from listening to Lombardi's podcast and his body of work as WR in the NFL so far. Maybe he proves me wrong and becomes a weapon here. Either way, it's going to be nice to have an actual kick returner for once.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Ebron may swing by for a visit if he leave Indy today. 

Quick PSA, if anything gets signed, traded, or anything that goes beyond visits, interest, or rumor please start a new thread and discuss there cough cough @1ForTheThumb right above me cough cough

I don't mind Eric Ebron but he drops too many passes so I'd pass on him for someone in the draft. So many good tight ends between rounds 2 and 4.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I don't mind Eric Ebron but he drops too many passes so I'd pass on him for someone in the draft. So many good tight ends between rounds 2 and 4.

Ebron's issues with drops are overblown, he was middle of the pack last season in drop % for TEs with over 50 targets. The issue I see is that he's not a great blocker and isn't likely to be a bargain.

3 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Ebron's issues with drops are overblown, he was middle of the pack last season in drop % for TEs with over 50 targets. The issue I see is that he's not a great blocker and isn't likely to be a bargain.

Those are two other reasons I figured were a given. The drops are just a cherry on top. I would be excited because he is young and can play the slot at the same time as Gronk, but I's rather draft Durham Smythe out of Notre Dame.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably much-a-do-about-nothing (did I use that right?), but Pats met with Manziel before and after his workout. Also were the only team to weigh him.

I was a big fan of his in college, but he made an arse of himself the last couple years. I wouldn’t be against a vet minimum, camp tryout esque deal. Essentially what we did with Tebow. 

Even then, probably amounts to nothing, but it’d be cool IYAM.

Archived