49ers WRs Battling for Roster Spots

y2lamanaki

That's what I was afraid of with Smelter, that he would be too raw to make the team. I imagine with Shannys scheme being of the complicated and intense variety WRs have to be good at the little things, that's not what comes to mind when Smelter is brought up. In fact if he wasn't 6'2" or 6'3" I probably wouldn't want him on the team at all. I like the highlights some have posted of him playing physical and making catches in traffic but it sounds like those highlight clips are the beginning and end to Smelters noise making at camp.

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What is his ceiling for this team? He'll turn 29 this season, I see him as a good #4 option. Now see him as the brian hoyer of receivers where he's like a bridge receiver, but if <25 year old guys show up in the preseason as capable #4 receivers with the potential to develop into more then why keep Robinson. Its also hard to imagine a receiving corp with only 1 guy over 5'10. Smelter could offer what Robinson cant, and Carter/Bolden could offer what Robinson can. We can afford to take these types of risks, we're a 4-6 win team. 

Robinson will make the team because Robinson does the one thing Shanny covets most from WRs, and that's seperate from DBs. Smelter gives very little in that department. It's been one of the biggest knocks I've read about him from camp. He makes contested catches yes, but that is partly due to his inability to get off of press coverage. Shanny himself said the height thing really doesn't mean much if guys are getting separation, which is really what he deems important. There's no way they keep Smelter around simply because he adds some height to the position. The TEs give us taller, bigger receiving targets that move just as well, if not better than Smelter does.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Robinson will make the team because Robinson does the one thing Shanny covets most from WRs, and that's seperate from DBs. Smelter gives very little in that department. It's been one of the biggest knocks I've read about him from camp. He makes contested catches yes, but that is partly due to his inability to get off of press coverage. Shanny himself said the height thing really doesn't mean much if guys are getting separation, which is really what he deems important. There's no way they keep Smelter around simply because he adds some height to the position. The TEs give us taller, bigger receiving targets that move just as well, if not better than Smelter does.

Said more eloquently than i could say. Agree about the tight ends, especially in the red zone. They have size, and Shanny loves his 3 te sets. 

Kerley is a much better player than Robinson, I'm pretty confident in that. I dont want to see him cut but in the event that we do cut one or both of those two for one of the younger guys after they produce in the preseason then i'll be good with that. I dont think its the worst thing in the world having a small receiving corp, but I've never seen it before so who knows how it'll turn out in this modern era. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

So I'm guessing the receivers on the final roster will be Garcon, Smelter, Taylor, Goodwin, and some lucky winner. Probably Robinson. Sounds like that is where it's heading anyway. 

Smelter won't make it i don't think

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Kerley is a much better player than Robinson, I'm pretty confident in that. I dont want to see him cut but in the event that we do cut one or both of those two for one of the younger guys after they produce in the preseason then i'll be good with that. I dont think its the worst thing in the world having a small receiving corp, but I've never seen it before so who knows how it'll turn out in this modern era. 

Kerley makes the team. He will be the starting "slot" WR. As good as Taylor has looked, I still believe Kerley will get the nod there and and be the de facto back-up to Garcon. Taylor will backup Kerley. He'll see snaps in certain packages I'm sure but I believe Kerley will be the man in the slot initially. Robinson will back-up Goodwin. Those are the five that will make the team. They'll try to keep Bourne and Bolden on the PS for a year and let them develop. But I only see us keeping five and those five make the most sense as of now. 

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Kerley makes the team. He will be the starting "slot" WR. As good as Taylor has looked, I still believe Kerley will get the nod there and and be the de facto back-up to Garcon. Taylor will backup Kerley. He'll see snaps in certain packages I'm sure but I believe Kerley will be the man in the slot initially. Robinson will back-up Goodwin. Those are the five that will make the team. They'll try to keep Bourne and Bolden on the PS for a year and let them develop. But I only see us keeping five and those five make the most sense as of now. 

That at actually makes a lot of sense to me. Is Smelter not available for the PS again? I thought the rules for PS players was adjusted slightly not to long ago.

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

So most of us agree Burnbridge has a ways to go to make the team? He's in that group with Bolden, Carter, Patrick, Bourne, and Smelter 

I very much disagree. Burbridge is one of very few special teams gunners on the team. He's definitely in a battle for a roster spot, but his competition isn't vs. Smelter, Bolden, etc. His competition is vs. guys like Sunseri, Watson, Croyle. 

Archived