49ers WRs Battling for Roster Spots

y2lamanaki

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Bolden make the team. He's got some value as a return man as well.

I don't think anyone should be terribly surprised by who makes the roster this year. It's a brand new regime that will likely turnover some, and it's hard to know what Shanahan's 53-man vision is. While I'd maintain Burbridge is looking better than most think because of his role as a gunner, we don't know that Shanahan will place that sort of Special Teams emphasis on his squad, or if he'll be more of a "give me offensive/defensive potential, and we'll figure out the gunner later" deal. Typically that leads to poor Special Teams units, but it's not out of the question. 

A good way to see which roster bubble players make the squad is to note the 11 guys that play the opening kickoff in the 1st and 3rd preseason games, and note any changes. 

6 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I very much disagree. Burbridge is one of very few special teams gunners on the team. He's definitely in a battle for a roster spot, but his competition isn't vs. Smelter, Bolden, etc. His competition is vs. guys like Sunseri, Watson, Croyle. 

So you have Burnbridge making it as our 6th receiver and st gunner? Matthew Slater's of the world are a rare breed I'm not sure I saw much of that out of Burnbridge last year but I'm willing to give him a chance if Colbert, Smelter, Patrick, Sunseri can't measure up there. I think he'd be a solid PS candidate if nothing else. 

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

So you have Burnbridge making it as our 6th receiver and st gunner? Matthew Slater's of the world are a rare breed I'm not sure I saw much of that out of Burnbridge last year but I'm willing to give him a chance if Colbert, Smelter, Patrick, Sunseri can't measure up there. I think he'd be a solid PS candidate if nothing else. 

No - I still have Burbridge missing. But I have him as one of the hardest cuts because of his special teams role. I just don't think he has a ways to go to make the team. Maybe just a lucky break or two. 

Archived