Remaining Possible Free Agents...

Ghostnote

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Hankins... 3rd ranked run stuffer according to PFF.com. Played 31 games the past two seasons. Yes please.

No thank you on Orlando Scandrick.

Both are in on visits.

REALLY want to hear that Hankins signs in DC today. They probably throw quite a good chunk of cheddar at him, but it sounds like they really need him.

11 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

REALLY want to hear that Hankins signs in DC today. They probably throw quite a good chunk of cheddar at him, but it sounds like they really need him.

Allen is so stupid for not signing him last offseason. He should already be on our roster long term. Going with McClain & McGee - two jags - over one impact run defender like Hankins, Logan or Poe was stupid.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Allen is so stupid for not signing him last offseason. He should already be on our roster long term. Going with McClain & McGee - two jags - over one impact run defender like Hankins, Logan or Poe was stupid.

Guess so. I can't say I really ever heard of or much of either the Mc lineman until recently. Then to see their contracts.. was  o.O .

I'm not surprised that Hankins or Poe had good years.. and with Logan, I don't know what to think. Logan flashed early last season, but then sorta disappeared for the most part. I loathe their DC Bob Sutton.. so I am very comfortable blaming him for the decline of their defense.. granted, losing Eric Berry sucks for anyone. 

.. but KC's run defense was a special kind of AWFUL last year... so I'm left puzzled with his year.. as I don't remember even seeing Logan on the field much through a lot of the latter season. 

20 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Guess so. I can't say I really ever heard of or much of either the Mc lineman until recently. Then to see their contracts.. was  o.O .

I'm not surprised that Hankins or Poe had good years.. and with Logan, I don't know what to think. Logan flashed early last season, but then sorta disappeared for the most part. I loathe their DC Bob Sutton.. so I am very comfortable blaming him for the decline of their defense.. granted, losing Eric Berry sucks for anyone. 

.. but KC's run defense was a special kind of AWFUL last year... so I'm left puzzled with his year.. as I don't remember even seeing Logan on the field much through a lot of the latter season. 

Logan is a two down run stuffer, it’s hard to notice those players in a 3-4 D because they generally don’t make a lot of plays, they occupy blockers C & a G so that the OL can’t get to the second level and block the ILBs. They hold the point of attack and take on double teams in the run game. Most don’t have much pass rush ability except a bull rush so there’s basically no splash plays from a 3-4 NT but they’re arguably the most important position to a 3-4 defense outside of good to great edge rushers.

Mcclain a McGee are “C” players, aka just guys (jags). Neither are particularly special but they’re hard working guys who will make a few splash plays a year each. Their hustle shows up on film. Last year they combined for 64 tackles, a handful of pressures, McGee had some tipped passes - including one of Carson Wentz in week 1 which Kerrigan intercepted and took to the house - McClain had 2 sacks (1 on Alex Smith & 1 on Russell Wilson) but only played in 12 games because of a toe injury. He didn’t play the last month of the season which was a blessing in disguise because it allowed 2nd year undrafted FA (UDFA) Anthony Lanier to get snaps in our nickel packages and he wound up with 5 sacks for the year. So, clearly I would think that Lanier leapfrogged McClain based on what he did the second half of the year. The coaches really love Lanier’s potential, he’s a Long interior DL that had to put on about 20 pounds since we signed him as an udfa out of Alabama A&M in 2016. He has potential to be a starter with another year or two of development but he still needs to get stronger and better against the run. If he can do that, he could be starter worthy in the future.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Logan is a two down run stuffer, it’s hard to notice those players in a 3-4 D because they generally don’t make a lot of plays, they occupy blockers C & a G so that the OL can’t get to the second level and block the ILBs. They hold the point of attack and take on double teams in the run game. Most don’t have much pass rush ability except a bull rush so there’s basically no splash plays from a 3-4 NT but they’re arguably the most important position to a 3-4 defense outside of good to great edge rushers.

I'm stuck in a rather uncomfortable place of understanding and irritation right now. Understanding his role and the role of 3-4 football players already... irritation, that you didn't assume I know this.. so I'm left feeling talked down to.. only to understand that it's unfair to expect you to know about me what you could really not.  

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I'm stuck in a rather uncomfortable place of understanding and irritation right now. Understanding his role and the role of 3-4 football players already... irritation, that you didn't assume I know this.. so I'm left feeling talked down to.. only to understand that it's unfair to expect you to know about me what you could really not.  

giphy.gif

I do a lot of explaining because I always feel I should explain my position well. It probably does me more harm than good in this forum because some don’t read everything I write - they only skim it - or they only read what they want to about what I write and take my positions out of context which leads to frustration on my end. It’d be much easier for me not to explain my positions well and just hop on the bandwagon in here but I’m just not that kind of guy. 

Titans cut Sylvester Williams one year into free-agent deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/18/titans-cut-sylvester-williams-one-year-into-free-agent-deal/ via @ProFootballTalk

A cheaper version of Jonathan Hankins just came available!

A first-round pick of the Broncos in 2013 (his 5th yr option wasn’t exercised), the Titans signed him to a three-year, $16.5 million deal in 2017. As noted by the Tennessean, the move comes one day before $2.5 million of Williams’ 2018 base salary would’ve become fully guaranteed.

The good news for Williams is that $1.25 million of the salary already was fully guaranteed. Maybe that’s why he doesn’t sound upset about the move.

“I’m good. I believe in myself,” Williams told Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com via text message. “My best football is ahead of me.”

During his only year with the Titans, Williams appeared in 15 regular-season games with 11 starts. He also played in both postseason games, starting the divisional-round loss to the Patriots.

The move comes at a time when the Titans reportedly have interest in free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who was cut by the Dolphins before his 2018 base salary of $16.985 million became fully guaranteed.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We still have Kouandjio, Cantalina and Kalis. Yes, I know we need more, they should be just depth players but still it’s not like cupboard is totally bare at back up G and I’m sure they could groom Kalis to be the back up C, perhaps that’s the plan. They also gave a guy on the roster they signed names Demetrius Rhaney listed as a back up center. He’s a 5th year pro from Tennessee State who I don’t know much about but they must have added him for a reason. I would think Callahan likes him or liked his potential coming out of the draft while he was scouting OL to draft at Dallas.

With all due respect...... Kouandjo, Cantalina, and Kalis are at best practice squad players. I slightly amend my previous statement. We don’t have a starting LG on the roster. The fact that we have not even visited on OLMen thus far in FA makes me highly worried!!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Titans cut Sylvester Williams one year into free-agent deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/18/titans-cut-sylvester-williams-one-year-into-free-agent-deal/ via @ProFootballTalk

A cheaper version of Jonathan Hankins just came available!

As a life long Tarheels fan, I would love to see him on our roster... that being said, we already have two playes more comparable to Sly in McLain and McGee.. Hankins is light years ahead of them in production. Sly is also 29...... pass 

18 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

With all due respect...... Kouandjo, Cantalina, and Kalis are at best practice squad players. I slightly amend my previous statement. We don’t have a starting LG on the roster. The fact that we have not even visited on OLMen thus far in FA makes me highly worried!!

Fair enough, but you just never know how a young guy will develop from year to year. We all liked kalis a lot last year in the preseason and the only reason he didn’t make the team is because Catalina was a college OT so he offered more versatility than Kalis.

Kouandjio is a mauler who struggles in pass protection, not too different than Lauvao. 

I also forgot we do have Nsekhe as well and could start  him at LG. He wasn’t awful either last year when he was forced into LG after coming back from abdominal surgery mid season. He was actually better at lg than he was at RT.

I’m sure we aren’t done with addressing the OL either but I felt all year we wouldn’t be big players in the OL market and pay near $10 million a year for Norwell or somone else because we had to have cap space to re-sign Scherff, Crowder and Smith next offseason.

We’ll probably sign a guy who can play LG & C for a few million who’s a serviceable starter but nothing special or draft someone in the mid rounds. That’s one reason I hope we trade down in round 2 is so we can fill more positions in the esrltto mid rounds; one of them being Interior OL in the first 4 rounds.

@Marcus21 I’m not saying sign Sly over Hankins. I’m saying if Hankins chooses not to sign here - which I hope isn’t the case because I’ve wanted him since the 2014 draft, including last offseason - then, we could sign Sly Williams as a back up plan and cut McGee or McClain because they’re not NTs, Sly is...Of course, I still believe that McClain best position on our defense is playing the 1-technique NT spot like he did when he was at Dallas. I thought we should have tried Paea out at that spot too instead of cutting him in 2015 in favor of Reyes - huge mistake - especially after Golston went down in week 1 with the torn hamstring. Both McClain and Paea are shorter stout guys, like bowling balls. They’re better put at nose because of this where they can use their quickness, leverage and strength to make plays shading the gap between the C & G.

Archived