Remaining Possible Free Agents...

Ghostnote

Just now, MKnight82 said:

It appears that’s he gained nothing from the changed language in the contract.  

Most players end up losing on the restructuring of their contracts. (taking a pay-cut) Some however just end up moving guaranteed money around. In this instance, I think the Redskins just gave themselves the flexibility to get rid of him. He on the other hand does not lose anything with this restructure, it just isn't guaranteed anymore.

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Most players end up losing on the restructuring of their contracts. (taking a pay-cut) Some however just end up moving guaranteed money around. In this instance, I think the Redskins just gave themselves the flexibility to get rid of him. He on the other hand does not lose anything with this restructure, it just isn't guaranteed anymore.

My understanding of how most restructures work is that future money is converted to roster bonuses that are paid immediately.  So In general most players benefit from restructures.  That isn’t the case with McClain.  Also his money wasn’t really restructured, just that it isn’t guaranteed now.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:54 PM, Woz said:

Courtesy of @LoganF89 in the https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/8477-cap-room/ thread:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40018083-4

Well well well ... the front office got sneaky smart.

We have an elite contract department with Schaefer and company. I really which he had more control, maybe some day. 

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Doesn't this exact thing happen all over the league with players "restructuring" their contracts? Granted it is a sweet deal to be able to designate him (because he played like hot garbage) as a post June 1st cut and space the dead cap between this year and next.

I’m sure he was presented with a take this change in your contract or you’ll be cut. More vets in the league should do this rather than ask for their release when they’re coming off an average injury plagued year where they were supposed to be a starter but was beat out by a 5th round pick.

The smart move is to usually take the pay cut or restructure to stay because most likely you’re looking at less on the open market. Teams go by the most recent film in FA, not the film from 2 years ago when you were playing 1-tech in a 4-3 D.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:39 PM, MKnight82 said:

It appears that’s he gained nothing from the changed language in the contract.  

He gained not getting cut outright in March before his bonus fully converted. It's possible that the front office thinks that having him means they can perhaps look at other positions than the DL. They're idiots if they think this (yes, I know, redundant), but that could be the "thinking."

1 minute ago, Woz said:

He gained not getting cut outright in March before his bonus fully converted. It's possible that the front office thinks that having him means they can perhaps look at other positions than the DL. They're idiots if they think this (yes, I know, redundant), but that could be the "thinking."

I think they reasoning was this, Bruce's ego wasn't going to let him cut McClain outright now, but if camp comes along and he still looks awful it at least lets them get out of it easier at that time.  A smart GM would realize the mistake and just move on now.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I think they reasoning was this, Bruce's ego wasn't going to let him cut McClain outright now, but if camp comes along and he still looks awful it at least lets them get out of it easier at that time.  A smart GM would realize the mistake and just move on now.

Emphasizing for those who missed it ... :D

Archived