49ers trade Kilgore to dolphins

49erurtaza

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree that it's unlikely we trade up, but if Nelson is on the board at 9 and we pass (if we don't sign another guard in FA), I'd be livid. No, he's not as agile as some of the guys out there for the outside zone, but he's not a statue. He can move well enough. And given everything else he has going for him, we better not pass it up if he's there. Plus, he'd help the short yardage game a ton with that nastyness and power. 

Don't see how he gets past Chicago or Tampa. So, we probably don't have to worry about it. :(

43 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is front office brilliance. Farewell Killgore. 

Fun fact, Arik Armstead is now a top 5 longest-tenured 49er. (Staley, Celek, Nelson, Ward, Armstead).

Thanks Baalke!

Never mess with the Marathe.

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

What would happen to his contract if he simply switched positions? Anything? Did Kilgore really want to play center that badly?

I doubt that Kilgore was the problem. Looks like the they re-signed him as a fallback plan in case they didn't get Richburg, but left the clause in his contract guaranteeing money three days after the start of the league year to give themselves a window to trade him in case they did. This all looks entirely intentional, and I doubt that Kilgore wasn't aware that it was a possibility. Hell, they may well have had the deal worked out with Miami before they even signed Richburg.

At any rate, any good agent would have caught the timing of the roster bonus guarantees even if the front office had tried to slip it into the contract unnoticed, which I doubt they did. It was good money for Kilgore, and he's going to be the presumptive starter in Miami, so not a bad deal for him going forward. Probably not as cold-blooded as it looks on the surface.

Surprised, but not shocked. This is practically like releasing him, except that the Dolphins just "bought" his contract, which is still decent for them. If he doesn't work out, they can release him next year for nothing, or else, he'll be a decently priced to be a back-up. 

I don't know about that bit about the staff asking him to move to guard and him requesting the trade. If it's true, then I don't think it's necessarily for having to play guard. He just knew he was being replaced, that's all. Do you keep playing for a team who openly tries to replace you? I can see him feeling insulted, somewhat. For my part, Kilgore was highly replaceable and I'm happy he's been replaced. Good luck to him in Miami. 

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

We move up 4 spots in the 7th round now lol

That's what I read.  I suppose we were desperate to dump his compensation and save the cap space. Still he'll make their team and either be an important backup or maybe start some games for them.  Moving up 4 spots in the 7th seems like precious little for a guy, any guy at all, that will make another team's roster and contribute a bit. I'd have guessed that he'd be worth a 6th or so, at the very least the 7th without the swap of picks.

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's why I don't think we draft Nelson or move up for him he's not really the best fit.

Charlie Casserly is kind of becoming a parody of himself.  Still he does know NFL talent.  I heard him say this morning that he thinks Nelson is the best interior o-line guy he's seen in the past 15 years that he could become a 10 time pro bowler.  I'll happily "settle" for that.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Charlie Casserly is kind of becoming a parody of himself.  Still he does know NFL talent.  I heard him say this morning that he thinks Nelson is the best interior o-line guy he's seen in the past 15 years that he could become a 10 time pro bowler.  I'll happily "settle" for that.

Well, I mean, thats largely what everyone says about Nelson. Kiper said on his podcast that you could legitimately say he is the best player in this draft overall, regardless of position. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is front office brilliance. Farewell Killgore. 

Fun fact, Arik Armstead is now a top 5 longest-tenured 49er. (Staley, Celek, Nelson, Ward, Armstead).

Thanks Baalke!

YES!

I said as soon as Shanny and Lynch were hired that the vast majority of the team they inherited would be gone by the start of the 2018 season.  We are well on the way to that with many more Baalke era guys to go before game one rolls around.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't see how he gets past Chicago or Tampa. So, we probably don't have to worry about it. :(

Fitzpatrick and Ward are also can't miss guys and James might be too.  Then add in Edmunds in case one of them want to take a shot at a potential pro bowl LB. We need two of those four to go top 8.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

I suppose we were desperate to dump his compensation and save the cap space.

I don't think we really needed to dump him for cap space. I think it's just doing right by Kilgore. We signed a guy to replace him, so either he plays out of position or is buried behind him as a back-up. Trading him to a team where he'll probably be the starting C is just a very nice thing to do for him, at this point. I think that's a sign of respect toward a veteran, and it's the proper way to treat players. 

Archived