49ers trade Kilgore to dolphins

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I don't think we really needed to dump him for cap space. I think it's just doing right by Kilgore. We signed a guy to replace him, so either he plays out of position or is buried behind him as a back-up. Trading him to a team where he'll probably be the starting C is just a very nice thing to do for him, at this point. I think that's a sign of respect toward a veteran, and it's the proper way to treat players. 

I hope that's what happened - and I hope he tellls every NFL related guy he meets so word spread far and wide.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I hope that's what happened - and I hope he tellls every NFL related guy he meets so word spread far and wide.

Me too. If I was a GM, I'd always try to do what's best for the players I get rid of. Sometimes it means releasing them so they can choose their next destination. In Kilgore's case, his salary this year was really good, so trading him is a very good thing for him. If I'm Lynch, and I hae a tentative deal in place with the Dolphins, I just call Dan and ask him what he feels about it. I know we don't get any value in this trade. It's probably the least value I've ever seen of any trade involving a player in NFL history. So it's pretty much the equivalent to us to releasing him. But Kilgore keeps his 5.5m salary for 2018. If we had released him, there's no certainty he would have gotten that. So yeah, I can definitely see the favour angle working for Lynch, there. As for Kilgore spreading the word... it's possible. It's also possible he'll be a little bitter. But at least there's a good side to this story for Lynch. He can sell that. If you sign with us, you'll be treated with respect. That seems to be the case with this staff.

23 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Me too. If I was a GM, I'd always try to do what's best for the players I get rid of. Sometimes it means releasing them so they can choose their next destination. In Kilgore's case, his salary this year was really good, so trading him is a very good thing for him. If I'm Lynch, and I hae a tentative deal in place with the Dolphins, I just call Dan and ask him what he feels about it. I know we don't get any value in this trade. It's probably the least value I've ever seen of any trade involving a player in NFL history. So it's pretty much the equivalent to us to releasing him. But Kilgore keeps his 5.5m salary for 2018. If we had released him, there's no certainty he would have gotten that. So yeah, I can definitely see the favour angle working for Lynch, there. As for Kilgore spreading the word... it's possible. It's also possible he'll be a little bitter. But at least there's a good side to this story for Lynch. He can sell that. If you sign with us, you'll be treated with respect. That seems to be the case with this staff.

THis got me wondering if it's legal in  the NFL to trade a guy to a team and get nothing in  return. In other words just sign over the rights to him.  Swapping 4 spots in the middle of the 7th is as close to nothing as it gets, but maybe we need to get something in return?

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

THis got me wondering if it's legal in  the NFL to trade a guy to a team and get nothing in  return. In other words just sign over the rights to him.  Swapping 4 spots in the middle of the 7th is as close to nothing as it gets, but maybe we need to get something in return?

Probably. Maybe the swap was simpler than making it a conditional 7th rounder in 2022, where the condition wouldn't be met. 

Just now, big9erfan said:

FWIW I did think at the time and still think that the move for Alex Mack was huge.  I think we're trying to have the same impact with the Richburg move.

Absolutely. I always thought Mack was an amazing center, and a huge get by the Falcons. I don't think nearly as highly of Richburg, but hopefully he can have a great impact. 

Archived