Summary of Mock Draft I Participated In

MKnight82

@BringinDaPain hosted a mock draft over in the GM Draft forum, you can read it in detail if you want here:

So just a quick summary of the rules, there was no free agency, and all teams were to assume that all free agents were resigned to 1-year deals on their original teams.  

Here's a summary of the trades I made:

Bears Receive 

OLB Preston Smith

TE Vernon Davis

Redskins 6th Round Pick

Redskins Receive 

OG Kyle Long

WR Kendall Wright

This trade netted me a Pro Bowl starting LG and a veteran speed WR.  I'm not a fan of re-signing Preston Smith next year anyways, so this was a good haul for him IMO.  Vernon Davis is again so I didn't mind moving him.  The 6th was just a throw in.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broncos Receive

QB Kirk Cousins

Redskins Receive

CB Aqib Talib and Broncos 4th Round Pick (109)

I was able to pick up a starting CB and a 4th for Cousins from the Broncos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dolphins Receive

WR T Pryor         

Redskins Receive

Dolphins 6th Round Pick (229)

Dumping Pryor for whatever.

Bucs Receive

CB Bashaud Breeland

Pick 44

Pick 109

Redskins Receive

Pick 38

Pick 104

Pick 180

Basically the Bucs and I swaped 2nds and 4ths, and they gave me a 6th to get Breeland. 

Dallas Cowboys Receive

OL Spencer Long

Redskins Receive

CB Orlando Scandrick

I swapped a pending FA for a cap casualty of theirs. 

NFL Draft

I made no trades during the draft.

Round Pick Player Position Team
1 13 Marcus Davenport OLB UTSA
2 38 Mike Gesicki TE Penn St
4 108 BJ Hill NT NC State
4 109 Royce Freeman RB Oregon
5 149 Andrew Brown DE Virginia
6 180 Terrell Edmunds SS Virginia Tech
6 208 Simmie Cobbs WR Indiana
7 229 Frank Ginda MLB San Jose State
7 231 Chase Litton QB Marshall

Final Roster

Washington Redskins Depth Chart
Offense
QB HB TE WR1 WR2 LT LG OC RG RT
Alex Smith Samaje Perine Jordan Reed Josh Doctson Kendall Wright Trent Williams Kyle Long Chase Roullier Brandon Scherff Morgan Moses
Colt McCoy Chris Thompson Mike Gesicki Jamison Crowder Ryan Grant Ty Nsekhe Arie Kouandjio   TJ Clemmings  
Chase Litton Royce Freeman Jeremy Sprinkle Brian Quick Maurice Harris          
  Rob Kelley   Simmie Cobbs Robert Davis          

Defense
LE NT RE LOLB MLB ROLB CB1 CB2 FS SS
Jonathan Allen BJ Hill Matt Ioannidis Ryan Kerrigan Zach Brown Marcus Davenport Josh Norman Aqib Talib Montae Nicholson DJ Swearinger
Andrew Brown Stacey McGee AJ Francis Ryan Anderson Mason Foster Trent Murphy Orlando Scandrick Fabian Moreau Deshazor Everett Su'a Cravens
  Ziggy Hood Anthony Lanier   Martrell Spaight   Quinton Dunbar Joshua Holsey   Terrell Edmunds
        Josh Harvey-Clemons          
        Frank Ginda          

Special Teams
K P LS              
Dustin Hopkins Tress Way Nick Sundberg              

I think I'm a few players over 53 so some of the late round guys would end up on the practice squad.  

If you want to see the full draft, check out this (you'll have to scroll through the thread to find the picks since @BringinDaPain is apparently lazy and didn't update the front page after the first round :D):

Only issue for me is Gesicki. I understand why you went that way (had a hole with the Davis trade), but I feel like Settle might have been a better move and the wait on the TE. But that's just personal taste.

Should the draft actually end up like this, bypassing Vea and Hernandez will make Woz a very sad panda. Well, getting Davenport might assuage some hurt, but still ... sad panda.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you want to see the full draft, check out this (you'll have to scroll through the thread to find the picks since @BringinDaPain is apparently lazy and didn't update the front page after the first round :D):

Only issue for me is Gesicki. I understand why you went that way (had a hole with the Davis trade), but I feel like Settle might have been a better move and the wait on the TE. But that's just personal taste.

Should the draft actually end up like this, bypassing Vea and Hernandez will make Woz a very sad panda. Well, getting Davenport might assuage some hurt, but still ... sad panda.

I know NT is a need, but taking a 2 down run stuffer at 13 just doesn't feel right.  Or RB for that matter.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I know NT is a need, but taking a 2 down run stuffer at 13 just doesn't feel right.  Or RB for that matter.

Definitely would rather not take a RB at 13, but I like the idea of having beef up front, if for no other reason than to jettison McClain and McGee.

Going into the draft with the roster constructed as it was (with the knowledge that all free agents were only here for one year), what did your big board look like?

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Definitely would rather not take a RB at 13, but I like the idea of having beef up front, if for no other reason than to jettison McClain and McGee.

Going into the draft with the roster constructed as it was (with the knowledge that all free agents were only here for one year), what did your big board look like?

I was all in on Marcus Davenport.  When he was there at 13 i didn't even consider trading down.  Backup plan was Payne, but I would have been hurting at OLB at that point, although I retained Murphy in this.  

RB was a heavy consideration in the 2nd round, but honestly I'm not in love with any of them after Barkley and Guice who both went in the 2nd round.  I took Gesicki because I thought he was BPA, and after trading Vernon Davis I planned on drafting a TE at some point.  He's a big time receiving threat so we could run a bunch of two TE sets with him and Reed (plus injury insurance for Reed).

After going BPA in the 2nd I focused on needs in the 4th.  Hill was the best NT on the board IMO, and I think Freeman was one of the last RBs on the board who could be an NFL starter.  He at least gives us a better 3rd option than Kelley.  

I took Brown in the 5th because I thought he was BPA.  

The 6ths and 7ths were just grabbing guys at positions I thought they could contribute down the line.  

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

How is it possible that you’re able to trade free agent players like Breeland, Cousins and Pryor?

The mock had no free agency, instead all players on the teams previous year rosters were considered to be still with that team.

Archived