Jaguars sign TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

When everyone was going gaga over Burton, ASJ was the name I brought up.  People forget how good of a prospect he was, and he was finally able to put it all together last year. Here's hoping this is the year he steps up.

As I mentioned before,  most TEs don't normally blossom until after a few years in the league anyway.  We potentially could be getting him at a time when he's about to hit his stride. 

That's really the theme it seems for this off season other than Norwell. Moncrief, Hayden, ASJ.. these were once highly regarded prospects whose career has been derailed or slowed by injury or off field stuff. 

This team is swinging on these guys on what are relatively friendly contracts. 

Wilson is supposedly still visiting.  Not sure he'll sign given the depth we have already, but I'm not sure Paul counts as TE in our depth chart. He's clearly a ST guy, and I wonder if we aren't looking at him as a possible HBack/receiver out of the backfield.

That would give us ASJ/Lewis/Wilson/Koyack at TE, Bo and Paul at FB/H-back.

Still a lot of bodies, but this team is really looking like a tough team to earn a roster spot.

I wonder if they move up a bit (in mid rounds). We have 7 picks, and I doubt the 6th and 7th rounders are really going to have legitimate chance at getting a roster.

Of course, receiver was one of our deepest spots last season and Cole managed to break through.

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

When everyone was going gaga over Burton, ASJ was the name I brought up.  People forget how good of a prospect he was, and he was finally able to put it all together last year. Here's hoping this is the year he steps up.

As I mentioned before,  most TEs don't normally blossom until after a few years in the league anyway.  We potentially could be getting him at a time when he's about to hit his stride. 

That's really the theme it seems for this off season other than Norwell. Moncrief, Hayden, ASJ.. these were once highly regarded prospects whose career has been derailed or slowed by injury or off field stuff. 

Wilson is supposedly still visiting.  Not sure he'll sign given the depth we have already, but I'm not sure Paul counts as TE in our depth chart. He's clearly a ST guy, and I wonder if we aren't looking at him as a possible HBack/receiver out of the backfield.

Still a lot of bodies, but this team is really looking like a tough team to earn a roster spot.

I wonder if they move up a bit (in mid rounds). We have 7 picks, and I doubt the 6th and 7th rounders are really going to have legitimate chance at getting a roster.

Of course, receiver was one of our deepest spots last season and Cole managed to break through.

The best players will play we heard competition preached a lot by the old regime. But in hind sight it didn’t appear like that at all they are going to fill out majority of the spots through free agency evaluate the talent and the best players will be on the field in September. 

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

This is a really good point on ASJ though. He's immensely talented and showed it at times in an inept situation offensively last year. Most of the Jets forum wanted him back pretty badly/loved what he did. Been plenty of TE's who were talented and went on to a new team and broke out (ex. Delanie Walker). 

Besides Norwell I think I'm most excited about him.

7 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Yeah.  If someone who can play does end up cut, it's really just a sign that we've got really solid depth at least.  This team is going to want to have a number of TEs on the roster in the first place.  All the better if they can be a core STer like Paul.  4 TEs plus a STer who can also play TE isn't really that unfathomable.  Obviously, if they end up drafting a TE...it gets a bit too crowded and somebody is getting bumped.  But competition isn't a bad thing.  Costs us nothing but money really (and it ain't my money).

On 3/16/2018 at 8:41 AM, Speedyg said:

Putting it together is putting it very strongly 50 catches for 7.1 ypc is not exactly exciting

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Putting it together is putting it very strongly 50 catches for 7.1 ypc is not exactly exciting

The thing is...our TEs aren't going to be standouts as receivers.  It's just not compatible with what they're trying to do offensively.  A guy like that who can put together some catches while spending 50%+ of his time as a blocker, is a pretty solid get for us.  Our scheme just isn't set up to have a TE dominate the receiving yards charts or whatever.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The guy was consistently over 10 in lesser targets/receptions prior to this year and dating back to his college days.

He has enough ability to get down field for a TE, but honestly, if you're expecting Jimmy Graham then you're going to be disappointed regardless.

Based on everything this team did this off season, it's focus is in the run game (disagree/agree).

If Fournette gets us 3-4 yards and ASJ picks up 7 yards and a first down in middle of the field while Lee/Moncrief stretches vertically to keep the chains moving, that would play exactly into what this team wants to do.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, Speedyg said:

The guy was consistently over 10 in lesser targets/receptions prior to this year and dating back to his college days.

He has enough ability to get down field for a TE, but honestly, if you're expecting Jimmy Graham then you're going to be disappointed regardless.

Based on everything this team did this off season, it's focus is in the run game (disagree/agree).

If Fournette gets us 3-4 yards and ASJ picks up 7 yards and a first down in middle of the field while Lee/Moncrief stretches vertically to keep the chains moving, that would play exactly into what this team wants to do.

Yeah.  Even bringing in "Jimmy Graham 2.0" in a guy like Gesicki...you're still not going to see that out of him.  Not only because rookie TEs are often a bit slow to adjust and really get going, but because it's simply not likely to be a major feature of our offense.

There was plenty of whinging last season about the predictable "always run on first down" stuff.  But that's what this offense is being built to do again.  Hammer the ball up in there and try to keep down and distance manageable for Blake.  And to grind out those slow, methodical, demoralizing extra-long drives that keep our defense fresh and chomping at the bit.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Even bringing in "Jimmy Graham 2.0" in a guy like Gesicki...you're still not going to see that out of him.  Not only because rookie TEs are often a bit slow to adjust and really get going, but because it's simply not likely to be a major feature of our offense.

There was plenty of whinging last season about the predictable "always run on first down" stuff.  But that's what this offense is being built to do again.  Hammer the ball up in there and try to keep down and distance manageable for Blake.  And to grind out those slow, methodical, demoralizing extra-long drives that keep our defense fresh and chomping at the bit.

except Blake is really good on 1st down passes :)

Archived