Jaguars sign TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know the numbers are stacked against rookie TEs having a major impact but lets be honest the impact we need from a receiving TE to make it an upgrade from last year is basically having a pulse. The fact rookie TEs dont make an impact early shouldn’t change our need for one

We definitely should still be in the market for a TE for sure.  It's something that's nice to have down the line either way.  And this looks like a great class to snag one with nice upside.  It's hard to recall the last time i've seen this sort of Top-100ish TE depth.  Like, i count ~8 guys that are in that Top-100 ballpark for me.  That's a lot.

But getting a younger guy with some upside like ASJ who seems to have started breaking through that rookie TE wall (albeit somewhat delayed on account of massive off-field problems early in career) seems like a sound idea, and a good way to get a little bit more predictable performance out of the position, compared to a pure rookie.  Not to mention, smart in making sure we've at least got something starter-ish calibre that isn't as old as the dinosaurs...if somehow the draft were to fall a different way, and we don't grab one.

Archived