Brandon Williams' contract re-structured to create cap space

DontTazeMeBro

47 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/s/38541/428?itemUri=1682849197/1391104320131018211910150129

We restructured Brandon Williams creating some cap space. If we don’t keep Jensen and/or trade for Dez Bryant or something I give up 

I think this was because without restructuring Williams or someone else, we literally couldn't afford to sign our incoming draft picks.

only the Ravens would restructure a contract signed 1 year ago for the 2nd time already. that is just great cap management all around.

good to see that continuity really is the mantra through all the organization, is there any bigger contract left that hasn't been restructured already?

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

only the Ravens would restructure a contract signed 1 year ago for the 2nd time already. that is just great cap management all around.

Rule of thumb that works 90% of the time is: don't worry so much about the cap.

For a deeper dive: The last restructure was a signing bonus of $2.725 which spread out 500k over the 5 years of the contract. All of that space and more was unused since we rolled over more than $3M from last year to this year. So it literally could not have happened and we would have had no difference in cap space for future years. It's not like we are selling our blood for money every time something like this goes down.

Be concerned about the cap if we have huge amounts of dead money taking space, like a Eugene Monroe contract. Really though, we've bitten the bullet on most of those already. 

11 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

you don't find a +14mil cap hit for a 2down NT a bit concerning? for several years that is.

I’m pretty sure the CBA is going to renew in either 2020 or 2021 so the Ravens are probably banking on having much more cap space come those years to ensure that cap hit. Otherwise I doubt he sees the last season of his contract.

21 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

thats a whole lot of assumption to base business decisions on. i mean, by 2020 Perriman could be a true #1 receiver. doesn't mean i'd extend him already.

Not really. Why do you think many of the free agent wide receivers are only signing three year deals? It’s because their agents have advised them to do so, so they can resign a new deal after the new cba takes affect.

Brandon Williams is a very athletic and solid player. Banking on the new cba to assist with his contract so that we can spend more money now wasn’t the bad idea.

The horrible idea is HOW we used the money we freed. But even still if Ryan Grant is the key signing that is responsible for helping us to win a Super Bowl in 2019, the extension would have been well worth it. You get super bowls when you can. Come what come may.

24 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

thats a whole lot of assumption to base business decisions on. i mean, by 2020 Perriman could be a true #1 receiver. doesn't mean i'd extend him already.

If you want the team to act like the cap will remain static (rather than increasing in the future), then good luck trying to fit any current FAs under it.  I really don't think you would like the alternative.

Also, we saw how much better our run D was with a healthy Williams last season.  He is a stud along the line.  I think handwaving him as some "2-down NT" as though he's a dime-a-dozen player is a bit disingenuous. 

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Not really. Why do you think many of the free agent wide receivers are only signing three year deals? It’s because their agents have advised them to do so, so they can resign a new deal after the new cba takes affect.

Brandon Williams is a very athletic and solid player. Banking on the new cba to assist with his contract so that we can spend more money now wasn’t the bad idea.

The horrible idea is HOW we used the money we freed. But even still if Ryan Grant is the key signing that is responsible for helping us to win a Super Bowl in 2019, the extension would have been well worth it. You get super bowls when you can. Come what come may.

I don't disagree with this, but I want to suggest we have those discussions in a modular fashion (not saying you're suggesting the alternative).  We don't get anywhere by raging against sensible or reasonable decisions because some other decision we did not like.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

you don't find a +14mil cap hit for a 2down NT a bit concerning? for several years that is.

Like DB said, it's about how the space is used. If it's again not used, then it's effectively like the restructure didn't happen again, like the case in 2017, because it will roll back over to those $14M cap hit years. But that's why I always say that you don't look at a contract at a  per year cost on a cap charge basis. If you did than we are charging only 4.87M on average for this year and last for the best player on our team.

The relevant figure for 2019-2021 will be whether he's worth his 9.25-9.5 salary, which I'm predicting is probably yes.

well sorry boys i didn't mean to reduce BW to a meager player. my point was rather the habit of constantly restructuring contracts and playing with future money, only to strangle yourself in coming seasons.

one of those days the Ravens will get somebody who knows how to handle cap.

15 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Williams isn't just a 2-down NT. He could/should be out there every snap as long as he's healthy/ fresh. Although the Ravens do have the depth to rotate a lot of their defensive line and throw a bunch of different looks at teams...

If he wasn't just a 2-down NT he'd have more to show on the pass rush front other than a career 4.5 sacks over 5 years. We all know he's one of the best run stuffing DT's in the league, but that cap hit is insane for what he realistically brings to this team.

25 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

If he wasn't just a 2-down NT he'd have more to show on the pass rush front other than a career 4.5 sacks over 5 years. We all know he's one of the best run stuffing DT's in the league, but that cap hit is insane for what he realistically brings to this team.

Conversely, his first two years of $3.8MM and $5.9MM are insanely low for what he brings to the team.  @wackywabbit was exactly correct in his statement about focusing in on the cap number at the end of the deal.

Archived