Zack Brown back with skins

Eric

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk man.  Too easy to call him the nickname "Juice", which leads to a lot of awkward comparisons/conversations.

Don't worry, Brice will call him Goose so we can have all of those wonderful Top Gun throwbacks from Doc.

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but Gruden doesn't run the ball.  

Ah... well then, that truly would seem a waste, then. Jay would best serve the team by utilizing a balanced approach, and implementing lots of play-action. If he does not, then it could easily be his undoing, and he'll be looking for work in 2019. 

I remember looking this up and posting it months ago. Both Andy Reid and Jay Gruden... neck and neck on rush attempts per game last season. How much of that was Alex changing the pass into a run, I cannot say. He also had 60 rushes himself. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

If Jay really won't go with balance, then yeah, a top 15 RB should probably not be the choice. 

57 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I like the Zach Brown signing. Good to see us actually resign someone!

Watched some Ronald Jones II last night. Takes way too many negative plays and I think he'd be frustrating in this offense.

The USC OL was a mess last year though which affected Jones and Darnold. I think Jones had an ankle injury or something too.

I think my comp for him might be LeSean

McCoy - not sure if that comp fits - but I think they're similar types of players.

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Ah... well then, that truly would seem a waste, then. Jay would best serve the team by utilizing a balanced approach, and implementing lots of play-action. If he does not, then it could easily be his undoing, and he'll be looking for work in 2019. 

I remember looking this up and posting it months ago. Both Andy Reid and Jay Gruden... neck and neck on rush attempts per game last season. How much of that was Alex changing the pass into a run, I cannot say. He also had 60 rushes himself. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

If Jay really won't go with balance, then yeah, a top 15 RB should probably not be the choice. 

There has been a few years since Jay first became the Cincy offensive coordinator in 2010 or 2011 that he did run the ball a decent amount and he did in 2014 and 15. We just weren’t very effective at rushing the ball from 2015-2017 because of numerous reason and some of that has to do with our inconsistent RBs.

I think if we take a RB in round 1 or 2 that we will run the ball more but we aren’t going to be a dominant rushing team ever under gruden. We’ve had these discussions before in here and when Gruden had the talent at RB he did tend to run the ball more.  If the running game is successful I think we’ll run the ball more. We did that in a few games even last year like the Rams game and the Saints and Giants games where Perine went over 100 yards in back to back games.

Also, we were so successful with our passing attack from 2015-17 with Cousins that we had a tendency to get pass happy. Then, the fact that our defense has been awful since 2014 when Jay got here is another reason when we became pass happy. It never seemed like we were ever in a position to run out the clock at the end of the game since Gruden’s been here with the exception of a handful of games at most in 4 years.

Good stuff, @turtle28 ... 

Washington's new QB has been said to be good at pre-snap diagnosis of many defenses. That may bring an extra element (aside from his own legs) to boost the run game by making favorable play-call adjustments and getting them aligned properly for max effect. 

A healthy Redskins' OL (with a LG fix) could prove to be a devastating force... pass or run. 

19 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Good stuff, @turtle28 ... 

Washington's new QB has been said to be good at pre-snap diagnosis of many defenses. That may bring an extra element (aside from his own legs) to boost the run game by making favorable play-call adjustments and getting them aligned properly for max effect. 

A healthy Redskins' OL (with a LG fix) could prove to be a devastating force... pass or run. 

Chris Thompson’s broken leg last year in the Saints game also hurt what should have been a thunder and lightning type backfield the second half of the year with Perine and Thompson.

Most will probably disagree but if Thompson gets the touches next year again and stays healthy - I know big if - he’ll have over 1,000 yards from scrimmage. 500 yards rushing and over 500 yards receiving.  And even if we don’t take a RB early in the draft and Perine is our starter, he flashed some ability as a rookie. If he gets more consistent he has the potential to get near or over 1000 yards depending on the consistency of his touches as well. 

Archived