BAZINGA! Sheldon is ours! (1 yr, $11 mil, p. 11)

vike daddy

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I believe 3-tech has far greater importance to Zimmer's defense than linebacker does, when it comes to who gets the biggest paychecks. Especially two linebackers. Maybe they'll re-sign one, but I can't see both back on new contracts unless one is a major discount. I'd also argue that WR will be one of the more lower-budgeted positions, though I'm not as clear about that one.

I agree with your take on DT and LB.

however, still think Diggs will be highly valued.

The hardest thing a LB does in this system is line up in the A-Gap and have to try and run with a RB on a call if he is not rushing.

LB are not valued all that much in Zimmers defense. Their basically asked to be sure tacklers. 

Interior pressure is probably the most important pressure you can have. The QB can see it, and not just sense it, will have to move in or escape the pocket making QB’s struggle. It’s the whole point of the double a gap blitz. With Richardson now, it makes it extremely difficult for offensive lines. 

58 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

LB are not valued all that much in Zimmers defense. Their basically asked to be sure tacklers. 

That’s an interesting statement considering where we’ve drafted our linebackers using a top 10 and a top 45 pick on two linebackers, and drafting 7 linebackers in 4 years overall seems to indicate that the Vikings place a high value on linebackers. 

Even in Cincinnati, the linebackers were seemingly the first positions focused on for Zimmer’s defense. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s an interesting statement considering where we’ve drafted our linebackers using a top 10 and a top 45 pick on two linebackers, and drafting 7 linebackers in 4 years overall seems to indicate that the Vikings place a high value on linebackers. 

Even in Cincinnati, the linebackers were seemingly the first positions focused on for Zimmer’s defense. 

Currently LB’s are getting drafted more for athletic ability rather than being the “solid” LB’s of the college system. What needs to be done in this system is be fast and cover space, about like any LB in the NFL nowadays that is starting.

To find it, you had to spend early picks to make them successful. 

We drafted them early, but the value on the defense is still probably less than having 2 pass rushers, and 4 solid defensive backs.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:40 PM, Klomp said:

I disagree. Just because it wasn't slotted to Floyd anymore doesn't mean they would've totally taken the number away from that position group. We just saw evidence of that at the QB position. They didn't just decide not to pay a franchise QB because Teddy got hurt in 2016.

Of course.  I meant the money wasn't budgeted specifically for Floyd, not the DL group as a group.

On 25/03/2018 at 7:44 PM, Klomp said:

I believe 3-tech has far greater importance to Zimmer's defense than linebacker does, when it comes to who gets the biggest paychecks. Especially two linebackers. Maybe they'll re-sign one, but I can't see both back on new contracts unless one is a major discount. I'd also argue that WR will be one of the more lower-budgeted positions, though I'm not as clear about that one.

The 3-technique is the most important player in any one-gap defence.

Which is why teams throw so much money at the position.

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer and Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll effectively swapped defensive tackles – Richardson coming the to the Vikings and Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen going to Seattle. It lent itself to Seattle head coach Pete Carroll and Zimmer kidding one another down at the owners meetings in Orlando about making an unofficial trade.

Zimmer:  “Pete Carroll came up to me and said, ‘We traded two for one.’”  Tom Johnson is a guy who had a lot of success with us. He’s a good passer. We probably played him a little too much last year. He’s better when he’s fresh. Shamar is a great technical football player – excellent against the run, a great kid. They’re both good kids. Those two guys, I think they’re going to help them quite a bit. What Pete said to me was that Sheldon is going to help us a lot in the pass rush. We feel like we can continue to get him better. Andre Patterson I think is a great coach. I think he’ll help him a lot. He was a little bit like Sam Bradford, [in Seattle]. He got traded seven days before the season started. Trying to find a new home, finding a new locker room, finding a new playbook – all those things. It takes some time. When players go from one team to another – typically in free agency – it takes a little bit of time. Not as much as rookies, but it takes some time.”

“Honestly, he was very disruptive. He didn’t get the sack numbers, but he moved the pocket out and moved the quarterback off his spot, which to us is important. We don’t talk a lot about sacks. We talk about affecting the quarterback and I think he did that quite well. We’re going to obviously try to get him some more sacks, but if he can continue to affect the quarterback with us, our three-technique is a very important position because the inside rusher can really affect the game in our opinion.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-coach-Mike-Zimmer-reviews-2-for-1-defensive-tackle-swap-with-Seattle-116812763

• 2 months later...

The Vikings made defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson their biggest defensive acquisition of the offseason and the reason for their interest in Richardson isn’t just about the plays he can make on the interior of their line. It is also about what he can do to help defensive ends Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter. The two players combined for 20 sacks last season and the Vikings would like to see how productive they can be if they aren’t facing regular double teams from opposing blockers.

Defensive coordinator George Edwards believes Richardson’s ability to win one-on-one battles can make that happen.

Edwards: “Hopefully, we can get him in some one-on-one situations with the personnel that we have. A lot of times, we’re starting to face where they’re concerned about our defensive ends Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter, where they’ll double them a lot of times, and they’ll end up singling us inside sometimes. So we want to, hopefully with his skill set, be able to take advantage of teams that want to try to do that and, hopefully, pull some of those double teams off our ends in critical situations like third down and those types of deals.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/vikings-hope-sheldon-richardon-pulls-some-of-those-double-teams-off-defensive-ends/

Archived