Raiders sign LB Tahir Whitehead

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Hate having a guy who can't cover play the WLB position. He was picked in Detroit, he will be exposed starting at WLB. I can already tell the LB play is going to suck this season. They are not going to give it priority is my guess

We still have Morrow for Nickel Cover LB

41 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Irvin is playing DE. Whitehead is or Sam

Also from what I've heard Whitehead is great at setting the edge and not great in coverage so I wouldn't expect him to be WLB by default. Then again we're paying him more than just a SLB so who knows.

I'm in a 32 user gm fantasy mock draft... we are in the middle of the 2nd round, and so far I drafted:

1. Edmunds LB

2. Payne DT  - was surprised he dropped almost got that kid from Florida....

that would really explosive talent to our front 7.....

Thinking of going LT, WR, RB or CB or Edge Rusher in the 3rd and 4th and the 5ths......BPA from those spots

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Also from what I've heard Whitehead is great at setting the edge and not great in coverage so I wouldn't expect him to be WLB by default. Then again we're paying him more than just a SLB so who knows.

He had one bad year in coverage and it was when Det moved him to the MLB position. Not sure why everyone keeps throwing this around.

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Irvin is playing DE. Whitehead is or Sam

This is how I see it too. I would at this stage have some faith that Guenther agreed this signing and wanted Whitehead to feature in his defense. Guenther has brought out the best in LBs in the past and - perhaps more pertinently, has always had LBs who are capable against the run. I know it's all the 'rage' to have a specific type of athlete in mind for LB now, but having to defend the run hasn't suddenly become redundant. That said, I hope we draft someone if the modern mould too. I want balance and in order to get that, you need different players with different strengths.

I see Whitehead as a plus run defender who is decent enough in coverage. A solid player and consistent player,who upgrades an area of weakness I am sure the FO aren't done adding to yet.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Whitehead can cover when he is on the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvc_KyJUZZA&t=105s

Most Detroit fans were glad to see him go for good reason. I don't think he's any better than James. Further, he will keep them drafting a true difference maker like Smith at WLB. Promise you, Whitehead is going to be one of those guys Raider fans always complain about (like Lion fans) because he will be getting punked in coverage in the AFC West

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He had one bad year in coverage and it was when Det moved him to the MLB position. Not sure why everyone keeps throwing this around.

Per PFF. Stop taking PFF as gospel. Watch the games and listen to the fans. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Most Detroit fans were glad to see him go for good reason. I don't think he's any better than James. Further, he will keep them drafting a true difference maker like Smith at WLB. Promise you, Whitehead is going to be one of those guys Raider fans always complain about (like Lion fans) because he will be getting punked in coverage in the AFC West

If the Raiders put him at SLB that will free them up to draft Smith and put him at WLB where many think his best spot is. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Per PFF. Stop taking PFF as gospel. Watch the games and listen to the fans. 

Ted Nguyen wrote a really nice article about Whitehead highlighting his strengths and weaknesses. Guenther knows LB's and I think he'll put Whitehead in a position to succeed. I think Whitehead is a good player against the run and struggled in coverage when he was put in bad matchups. As long as you don't force him to cover a tight end/slot and keep him in zone, he's fine.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think it's hiliarious that you post that video and then say "Most Detroit fans were glad to see him go for good reason".

1 min into that video I wanted to just mute you forever and then that troll Detroit fan came on smh. Just horrible.

You haven't watched him or James in this defense so your thoughts have no basis.

Archived