Raiders sign RB Doug Martin

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

+1 to wanting to see the contract. High upside here though. I could see him also not getting through camp too. 

another kid from the town hungry to prove himself. Want to see the details, and his camp could go from steal or cut... I would still draft a RB, now maybe in day 3.... Could also possibly trade Washington or Richard for a player likes for his system.... Washington and Richard are like the same player

If it's no guarantees, I love it because Martin has shown incredible potential, albeit he's definitely a lot older and hasn't played as well recently, but we can definitely open up more holes than TB with our OL and he has shown an ability to catch the ball. Seeing as hes gonna be motivated because nothing will be given to him, this could pan out more than people expect.

Doug Martin isn't any worse than Richard or Washington (especially Washtington). We'll probably get rid of one of them, although I doubt we'll be able to get any value out of them trade wise. But Martin's upside is vastly higher if he decides to play well.  I have to imagine there is some sort of scheme or knowledge base that Gruden liked as well when picking him out of the crowd. There were lots of Rb's to choose from this year. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Doug Martin isn't any worse than Richard or Washington (especially Washtington). We'll probably get rid of one of them, although I doubt we'll be able to get any value out of them trade wise. But Martin's upside is vastly higher if he decides to play well.  I have to imagine there is some sort of scheme or knowledge base that Gruden liked as well when picking him out of the crowd. There were lots of Rb's to choose from this year. 

My real issue becomes if/when they decide not to draft a RB in this talented group relying again on players who's best football is long behind them. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My real issue becomes if/when they decide not to draft a RB in this talented group relying again on players who's best football is long behind them. 

So true. This class is deep, I would have loved for us to draft someone. 

14 minutes ago, NickButera said:

So true. This class is deep, I would have loved for us to draft someone. 

We will see I guess. I'm cautiously optimistic. Right now, signing Martin and reportedly keeping Lynch gives me pause they won't look at RBs early. And Whitehead gives me pause they will ignore the LB positions as well once they sign Bowman back. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

We will see I guess. I'm cautiously optimistic. Right now, signing Martin and reportedly keeping Lynch gives me pause they won't look at RBs early. And Whitehead gives me pause they will ignore the LB positions as well once they sign Bowman back. 

That's an interesting way to look at it and it may well be true. Could also be a stop gap to help a younger draftee that won't have to start straight away or it could be that with guys in place RB and LB won't be desperate needs, just potential needs which will allow them to pick BPA within reason................I'm not certain but like you cautiously optimistic!

Could be wrong, but I think that Martin was brought in as lynch insurance or to keep him motivated. We don’t want him coming in out of shape again. I don’t see us keeping both. A lot of the teams before us in the second round have a need at rb. I think we focus on ol, wr, and bpa defense, not necessarily in that order, first three rounds and grab a rb in the 4th or 6th. Just my two cents.

16 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Could be wrong, but I think that Martin was brought in as lynch insurance or to keep him motivated. We don’t want him coming in out of shape again. I don’t see us keeping both. A lot of the teams before us in the second round have a need at rb. I think we focus on ol, wr, and bpa defense, not necessarily in that order, first three rounds and grab a rb in the 4th or 6th. Just my two cents.

That's my fear. High end talented class. Grab leftovers in rounds 4-6. If you're a RB needy team and not drafting one in rounds 1-3 this season, you're going to miss out. The talent drop off on day 3 will be noticeable.

Archived