Raiders sign RB Doug Martin

RaidersAreOne

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764705-what-the-hell-are-jon-gruden-and-the-nfls-raiders-doing-right-now

Gruden essentially declared himself the enemy of analytics, or any form of advanced statistical thinking. In doing so, he became a caricature of the NFL's old guard, the men who shake their fists at the kids these days who dare to be curious and look at the game from a different angle.

Gruden doesn't have to fully embrace a fresh way of thinking, and expecting that isn't realistic. But to be a competent coach in the current year, and not 1998, he needs to treat analytics as another tool among the many in his toolbox to build a successful on-field product.

Anything less is senselessly stubborn and reckless.

36 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I read that hit job on Gruden yesterday too. I think it's way overblown seeing as it all stems from one comment people ran with and Gruden has cleared it up later.

In the comment he literally says that he's going to bring in guys to do analytics. He is more saying he doesn't understand it and you know what most leaders don't know everything, they know what they know and they bring in guys to know what they don't.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That's my fear. High end talented class. Grab leftovers in rounds 4-6. If you're a RB needy team and not drafting one in rounds 1-3 this season, you're going to miss out. The talent drop off on day 3 will be noticeable.

Yep. But isn't that the case with almost all positions....every year? We have so many needs it might not be the year for us to take a RB early. It might, but it might not. Is it necessary for it to be a RB this year over other positions. You could make the same argument about LB, CB, DT, Edge, WR, OT. I just want good players rounds 1-3. If that's an RB, great. And if it allows us to cut Lynch, okay. But if we get a starting DT, RT, CB let's say in the first few rounds and we have to keep Lynch this year, so be it. Going into the draft relying on the perceived quality and depth at a certain position is dangerous imo. You simply don't know how it's going to play out. 

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Reggie will still take a RB is there is value to be had in the draft. He just won't force the pick, which I like a lot.

Like the value in taking Obi over Kamara? Ward over Henry? Only half serious...

Personally, I don't think Reggie "values" RBs or LBs. He tries to find them late in the draft and hopes they can be coached up. Thus far, it's been a lot of mixed results.

6 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I read that hit job on Gruden yesterday too. I think it's way overblown seeing as it all stems from one comment people ran with and Gruden has cleared it up later.

All the Rotoworld guys are doing the same on twitter callin him Jeff Fisher or whatnot 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Like the value in taking Obi over Kamara? Ward over Henry? Only half serious...

Personally, I don't think Reggie "values" RBs or LBs. He tries to find them late in the draft and hopes they can be coached up. Thus far, it's been a lot of mixed results.

LB's I have a big problem with.

Taking Nick Chubb when say Christian Kirk may be on the board in the 2nd I would have a problem with, and I really do like Chubb.

13 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

All the Rotoworld guys are doing the same on twitter callin him Jeff Fisher or whatnot 

The ATNFL podcast said  the same.

honestly though with LBs getting lighter this might not be a bad idea. Sure it’s a passing league but brutalizing defenses with a varied run game and then striking with PA could make for an effective offense. I also feel, unlike fisher, Gruden could actually pull off because he’s, you actually orchestrated a top offense before. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This article highlights the idea that the media has no idea what analytics are in an NFL context. The article as basically box score scouting (the Brown/Crabtree link is an egregious example) and cherry picking when to and when not to use certain sources. For example, here is how PFF has graded Crabtree and Nelson, respectively, throughout their careers:

SS7gVyh.png

Fhiv4rg.png

But, yeah. Crabtree secured 38.2 percent of his attempts at contested catches so he's better than Nelson.

Analytics has become an undefined buzzword hack sports journalists don't really understand. I think a lot of it has to do with fantasy football (which I really enjoy and play), but just because someone understand how to build a fantasy team doesn't mean they know how to build a real NFL team. Analytics come into play most in the draft (which teams have been doing for decades), live-game situational play calling (which is just now taking hold), and in contract negotiations. 

Jon Gruden clearly has a vision for this team and I'm all bout it. The Raiders thrived in 2016 with extra blocking entities on the line. I also like how this FA class is lessening the burden on the draft and creating a buffer of veterans for young players to play behind and alongside.

Archived