Raiders sign S Marcus Gilchrist

RaidersAreOne

Liked this guy when he was with the Jets (Chargers not so much :D) and a little surprised they let him go even after drafting the 2 safeties last year. Providing the salary is decent I think it's a good, versatile signing as has been noted above - he's always had a little playmaking ability about him and I think been seen as a good locker room guy too. 

I guess some people think we're going to sign elite players every time. This FA is mostly about improving our depth. Our defensive roster was miserable 2 days ago so we had to do something about it. Gilchrist is a cheaper Carrie with his ability to play multiple positions. Elite players have to be found in the draft.

57 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I guess some people think we're going to sign elite players every time. This FA is mostly about improving our depth. Our defensive roster was miserable 2 days ago so we had to do something about it. Gilchrist is a cheaper Carrie with his ability to play multiple positions. Elite players have to be found in the draft.

Elite players don't make it to FA. There are good players (like Reid) who offer more than Gilchrist. Reid is a starting talent. Gilchrist isn't but will likely start opposite Joseph.

Also... the defensive roster hasn't actually improved. Depth maybe. But they still lack pass rush. LBs who can cover. They are still slow on paper right now. The hope is the new staff can pull something out of the recent draft classes. 

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Elite players don't make it to FA. There are good players (like Reid) who offer more than Gilchrist. Reid is a starting talent. Gilchrist isn't but will likely start opposite Joseph.

Also... the defensive roster hasn't actually improved. Depth maybe. But they still lack pass rush. LBs who can cover. They are still slow on paper right now. The hope is the new staff can pull something out of the recent draft classes. 

Agree. I think this is a large part of the plan and as much as it is anyone's guess whether they will be able to get any more production from what's already here, I would be hopeful that, with what looks like a better coaching staff, one or two players will emerge. If Trgovac can improve Hester or Guenther - James or Morrow let's say, it would really help. Good coaching has turned fringe players into starters before. 

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The hope is the new staff can pull something out of the recent draft classes. 

What is wrong with that?

I mean Norton and JDR fielded some historically bad defenses...we were significantly better with Pagano after a mid seaon "on the fly" DC change...

PG is a solid, respected veteran DC. I would absolutely expect him to field a better defense with the same roster. 

That also means that I expect him and his staff to be able to put our young guys in better positions to succeed. 

So I think it is not our hope as you said, but our expectation! A valid, realistic expectation!

Add the '18 FA class, the '18 draft class and the Conley-Obi duo and we should have a stronger roster.

Stronger roster+better DC=better defense

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Also... the defensive roster hasn't actually improved. 

Melvin and Wright are better than McDonald and Hamilton. Whitehead is much better than Morrow and James. Carradine is a solid base DE (and imo a better fit than MEJ at this spot in a true 4-3).

Archived