Raiders sign S Marcus Gilchrist

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

is this defense the 85 beats ? lol no, but people acting like Melvin , Whiteheade, and Gilchrist aren't great pickups...defense overall talent is on the rise

Those signings raise the talent floor. Last year, all it took was a couple of injuries for the defense to become completely untenable. Corner still needs more depth, but the first and second levels have good depth at this point. Now, the roster needs to be topped off of highly effective starters.

27 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Those signings raise the talent floor. Last year, all it took was a couple of injuries for the defense to become completely untenable. Corner still needs more depth, but the first and second levels have good depth at this point. Now, the roster needs to be topped off of highly effective starters.

Depth on defense looks improved. Still need to find starting talent and a couple player who can be difference makers. Suh would fit this bill. Conley perhaps. Need a LB to have talent on each level.

I hate the offense right now. Carr needs a strong supporting cast. Nelson was a clear down grade IMO. He can't run or separate any longer. Then you keep a 32 year old RB and add a 29 year old RB as his backup. Still no solution at RT and I'm fearful of Penn doing much at this stage of his career off injury.

This offense from a skill perspective, is mediocre. The draft could go a long way to improve it. But I see a lot of struggles with it right now despite what should be better offensive play calling.

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Depth on defense looks improved. Still need to find starting talent and a couple player who can be difference makers. Suh would fit this bill. Conley perhaps. Need a LB to have talent on each level.

I hate the offense right now. Carr needs a strong supporting cast. Nelson was a clear down grade IMO. He can't run or separate any longer. Then you keep a 32 year old RB and add a 29 year old RB as his backup. Still no solution at RT and I'm fearful of Penn doing much at this stage of his career off injury.

This offense from a skill perspective, is mediocre. The draft could go a long way to improve it. But I see a lot of struggles with it right now despite what should be better offensive play calling.

yes defense depth looks improved. key depth players: Tank, Hester, Morrow, James, Obi

still could use depth at DT and CB. Still think defense could use: DT, MLB, CB

Offense does look older Nelson, Lynch, Penn. Still think Sharpe is going to be the man at RT.. think Reggie will draft: RB, WR, T

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Ideally he is just the 3rd guy behind Karl and Obi, but he could see extended playing time even so with Obi on TE's in 2 S sets IMO.

I think he's at least the 5th DB in the nickel at this point.

31 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lol watch Marcus end up starting alot. Our secondary sucked last year.

Yup, if we don't add anyone to the secondary in the top 3 rounds, I can see that for sure. I think Obi will be a good football player and that Joesph made alot of progress last year and the goal should be to get them on the field together but them being ready and learning the new scheme may take more time and Gilchrist is great insurance.

I watched two full games of Marcus this afternoon (vs. Tennessee, vs. Seattle), and I really like what I see. He has very good vision and plays with adequate aggression. He's not a play maker per se, but he doesn't blow coverage and he always seems to be in the right place. Based on what I saw and what he know about who's currently on the roster, I believe he's the best safety the Raiders have. He might also be the best suited to start in the slot.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:01 AM, Rolni said:

Ideally he is just the 3rd guy behind Karl and Obi, but he could see extended playing time even so with Obi on TE's in 2 S sets IMO.

Obi on TE's.  I said that last year and I don't know if it occurred.  We picked up a cover LB yesterday (?) to cover TE's they say.  He'll play outside.  How are we in the middle.  We got some guy named Tank.  DT I guess?  Do we have the caliber middle LB that we need?

Archived