'Hawks and Vikings battling over Sheldon Richardson?

vike daddy

Even with Kirk Cousins massive deal becoming official, the Vikings still have plenty of money to make the Richardson signing at his stated price without moving Latavius Murray but they could be looking for breathing room to make the situation more palatable to them. Currently, they have $27 million in cap room according to OverTheCap. If they do find more money, the Seahawks could find themselves on the outside looking in on their Pro Bowl caliber defensive tackle. They're currently hovering around $20 million in cap while they may be looking to shed salary with an Earl Thomas trade.

Freeing up his $8.5 million could help them up their offer on Richardson but the two situations don't appear to be linked in any meaningful way. The Seahawks are just exploring all their options; so it's not necessarily a race to see who can meet Richardson's demands first. Pete Carroll and John Schneider generally stick to their budget on free agents, meaning the fact that Richardson headed off to find more money may already signal they're not going to get a deal done.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Bolt/NFL-Free-Agency-Vikings-shaving-cap-with-Seahawks-free-agent-Sheldon-Richardson-still-there-116287798

don't know if you guys already have a thread on Richardson. do you want him re-signed, or just as well let him walk?

and now, just minutes ago...

Courtney Cronin✔@CourtneyRCronin

Latavius Murray has restructured his contract with the Vikings ahead of Friday's deadline where $5.15 million of his $6.35 million cap hit would have become guaranteed, sources told ESPN.

As several teams continue to wait for Sheldon Richardson‘s decision, the Seahawks apparently have started working on Plan B just in case. Defensive tackle Tom Johnson will visit Seattle on Monday, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports.

Johnson, 33, started 15 games for the Vikings in 2017 and made 32 tackles and two sacks. He made 16 sacks in his four seasons in Minnesota.In his seven-year career, Johnson has played 102 games with 25 starts, making 162 tackles and 21 sacks. He spent his first three seasons in New Orleans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/tom-johnson-visiting-seattle-on-monday/

Vikings sign Sheldon, 1 year $11M. Have to think Sheldon is thinking, "Vikings are a better team. Go there and maybe win a Super Bowl and look great on a stout defense, then CASH IN at 28 years of age and get fat/happy."

I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle let him walk because they have something going with Suh. Suh lives in the PNW (Oregon hometown) so maybe he wants to come back here and help rebuild Seattle's D while being close to home. 

I didn't think Seattle was going to give Richardson (or Suh) some 5 year contract anyway, so the 4 year age difference really doesn't matter and Suh is the better DT (PFF has him ranked #5, elite, grade 91, whereas Richardson is 83, above average). 

12 minutes ago, NFL_Announcer said:

Vikings sign Sheldon, 1 year $11M. Have to think Sheldon is thinking, "Vikings are a better team. Go there and maybe win a Super Bowl and look great on a stout defense, then CASH IN at 28 years of age and get fat/happy."

I also wouldn't be surprised if Seattle let him walk because they have something going with Suh. Suh lives in the PNW (Oregon hometown) so maybe he wants to come back here and help rebuild Seattle's D while being close to home. 

I didn't think Seattle was going to give Richardson (or Suh) some 5 year contract anyway, so the 4 year age difference really doesn't matter and Suh is the better DT (PFF has him ranked #5, elite, grade 91, whereas Richardson is 83, above average). 

Suh seems to be all about the money to me.  I don't really think winning is high on his list of priorities.

Guess Seattle was content with the 4th Round Comp and make a run at Suh to replace him? I mean if it works out, thats some nice 12D chess I guess. 

Still sucks losing Sheldon. Dude balled out last year. Really solidified the line after all the injuries (Naz's in and out, Bennetts lingering issues, Reeds.. whatever, Cliffs neck). Getting Suh needs to be a priority. Defense is gonna take even more of a  major step back if not. 

17 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Not much of a battle if the Vikings gave him $11M.

oh, i thought Seattle offered $11 million. Vikings contract is $8 million with incentives to get to 11.

any news on Tom Johnson signing with you guys? he's a good player, but not at Richardson's level. do you think you have a chance at Suh?

Suh appears to be all about the cash, and who can blame him.  We'll have to wait and see on that one, but you always want to entertain the idea of adding that level of talent any time you have the opportunity.  Guess it comes down to numbers.

Probably waiting on Suh to sign a contract before deciding what to do about Johnson.  He visited a week ago now, so neither side appears to be in a hurry to sign on that front.  

The remaking of the Seahawks defense continued Saturday with the team’s announcement that they have signed defensive tackle Shamar Stephen.

The team did not announce any terms of the deal with the former member of the Vikings. Stephen joins Tom Johnson, another former Viking, as new additions to a defensive line that saw Sheldon Richardson leave Seattle to sign in Minnesota.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/25/shamar-stephen-signs-with-seahawks/

Vikings West.

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen are fine depth players. Give them limited snaps and they'll be effective.

Who will be your starting DTs, Seahawks fans?

Based on last year, Naz Jones and Jarren Reed. Depending whats happens in pre-season AND/OR injuries of coarse.

Archived