My grades for 1st round position need - Day 3 FA

Phingasm 23

Ok we're on day three of FA now.  Yesterday saw us signing Sitton and Kilgore while saying see ya to Pouncey.  So, essentially we found a older but healthier Center who is a locker room leader and we FINALLY fixed the guard spot with Sitton.  While doing that and our other moves we've made $25 million in cap room.

So, looking at what has happened before, here's my grade on what I would rate each position in terms of need FOR THE #11 PICK.  KEEP IN MIND THIS IS JUST FOR THE #11 PICK.

We're going to start with what I call the tv breaking moves.  These are the WTF positions that will cause me to have an aneurysm, throw my tv in the pool, fire up my big green egg and burn a couple dolphins hats out of anger.   These are the selections that will cause me to lose my mind, randomly burst out screaming in tongue, crying, laughing and to go find the spackle and touch up paint.  

DT, DE, OL - F

We just spent three years with the best road grader in the NFL at DT.  It mean nothing as we were consistently one of the worst rush Ds in the league.  Any talk of Vita-man in round one is about as dumb as saying that non alcoholic beer tastes like beer.  With Vita-man we AT BEST spend our pick so we can have the same performance of the last three years from DT which seems to matter not one bit in terms of stopping the run or sacking the QB.  We just spent last year on Harris at DT and we got Quinn.  OLwise, we just made some big moves yesterday.  Look to other rounds for both O and D lines.  Epic fail if we use #11 on either.  DON'T DO IT!

CB - F.  We're fine here.

RB - F.  I like Chubb and Guice in late round two or round three.  Epic dumbf@ck move to make huge reach at #11 for anyone.  Barkley will be long gone.  

TE - F.  No TE is worth the #11 pick.  I like Andrews in round two if he lasts.  

S - C.  I know we need a FS.  Only James is worth even contemplating at #11.  To me, we have bigger needs.

The beneath position selections will not cause substantial damage to my house, wife's opinion of me or to my liver.

LB - B minus. We need a LB.  We have had garbage LB play since Zach left.  And yes, that included Crowder who is not only the fugliest NFL player in history  but also the most meh.  If Roquan Smith is available, I'd be ok with selecting him.  Though by doing so, we're admitting that we are ride or die with Tannehill which I do not agree with in year 7 of the Tannehill project.  

WR - B. Ridley.  I'm up and down on Ridley.  I think Antonio Callaway is the most sure handed WR in the draft but he's taken a big knock from his credit card fraud thing at Florida.  I can stand us taking Ridley but personally, I'd wait on Callaway in a later round.  

QB - A plus. I've said it before.  We're in year 7 of the Tannehill project.  The progress was slow enough when he was the non injured iron man.  Now we have to worry about his health as well as his plodding ascension to be a consistent #10 QB by year 2023.  This is the NFL.  Figure out the QB spot and everything else falls into place.  We're 19 miserable trips around the sun since Danny boy shuffled off into the shadows.  Let's finally fix the QB spot.  The mindset at this point should be to take the best QB in the draft every year until we get hit on the right one.  Be Dolphan for one minute.  Isn't it time?  I like Mayfield, Allen or Rosen and I don't care if I need to ship them my dogs, wife or niece to bundle into a package to get the one they are in love with.  Enough is enough.  Let's stop the mediocrity carousel and kick this thing in the ***!

1 hour ago, Phingasm 23 said:

We're in year 7 of the Tannehill project.  The progress was slow enough when he was the non injured iron man.

I take issue with this analysis. In his 5th year in the league, after his very first 5 games with Gase, here were his numbers:

7 wins, 1 loss

233 attempts for 161completions, 69.1% completion

1,723 yards at 7.39 YPA

13 TDs - 5 INTs

100.13 QB rating

Then he got hurt (his first NFL injury) and suffered a setback during rehab. Now everyone remembers the injury and completely forgets how Tannehill was playing, carrying his team to a playoff berth.

Now we have to worry about his health

Fair enough to the bolded.

The mindset at this point should be to take the best QB in the draft every year until we get hit on the right one.

Literally no team does this.

Let's stop the mediocrity carousel and kick this thing in the ***!

If you think Tannehill's most recent play could be called mediocre, you should take a look around the league and re-evaluate how you use that word. 

I'm 100% for drafting a QB in the 2nd or later, the Dolphins absolutely need someone to develop behind Tannehill. However, Tannehill is the guy for 2018. Period.

Get a LB, TE, RB, and FS in no particular order.  If the right guy is there get a QB, kicker, or DT/OL later on.

I’d love something like Edmunds, Goodert, Reid, Penny with the first four picks.  But lots of other names work for me.

I wouldn't take Allen with the 11th pick of the 3rd round, let alone in the 1st. Hate him as a prospect. You guys already know my thoughts on getting a QB, but Rosen or Mayfield would be okay value imo. Still would prefer to grab a LB, CB, WR, or interior OL though.

Want nothing to do with a RB outside of Barkley who won't be there.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I see DT or LB as the top priority in Round 1. Hard to see a WR in Round One (or at all) due to the signings. 

I do like Vea. A trade back wouldn't be bad, either.

Why would we use it on Vea?  We just had arguably the best DT in his prime at DT and it made ZERO difference in stopping the run or getting to the Qb.  Why use the #11 to just get the same D we already had?  DO you really think he's going to come out and immediately outperform Suh?  

Why would we use it on Vea?  We just had arguably the best DT in his prime at DT and it made ZERO difference in stopping the run or getting to the Qb.  Why use the #11 to just get the same D we already had?  DO you really think he's going to come out and immediately outperform Suh?  

With that logic, our Run D is mostly incapable of immediately improving moving forward. I'd imagine it be even worse if we didn't have Suh.

Doesn't the blame also lie on the DE's vs the run? Or LB play? 

Does anyone have the deep stats for outside runs vs inside runs?

9 hours ago, Phingasm 23 said:

Vea would come at about 15% of the cost for the next 4 years.

As mentioned above, there was more to the defense under performing than Suh.

And how many times did we watch Suh line up on the outside shoulder of the guard, cut across his face, and engage the center?  He didn’t maintain his gap and I’d wager that is why he is gone despite the enormous cap hit.

You might be then greatest whatever, but if you won’t do what I need done, you have to go.

We need to have a D-line that compliments each other, and does what they are supposed to do, every play. I agree with the post above, if you have your DE riding the arc, and your DT crashes from G to C, you now have a huge hole between the G and T on that side of the line, and now your DT has to try to fight through 2 blockers to make a play, that is just bad technique. I think these cuts have more to do with Gase molding the team to what he wants, then money. Our O-line is going to be very experienced, with the exception of Tunsil. We are going to be much stronger in the middle. Tannehill will be able to climb the pocket, which is something that has been missing from our offense for years.

1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

We need to have a D-line that compliments each other, and does what they are supposed to do, every play. I agree with the post above, if you have your DE riding the arc, and your DT crashes from G to C, you now have a huge hole between the G and T on that side of the line, and now your DT has to try to fight through 2 blockers to make a play, that is just bad technique. I think these cuts have more to do with Gase molding the team to what he wants, then money. Our O-line is going to be very experienced, with the exception of Tunsil. We are going to be much stronger in the middle. Tannehill will be able to climb the pocket, which is something that has been missing from our offense for years.

Yeah, I will be anxious to see just how much of Tannehill's previous abysmal pocket presence came from the constant lack of being able to step up into the pocket.  We should be able to find that out this year, with what looks to be a much, much stronger middle.

If we take any of the top 4 QBs at 11 then that would be an A for me.  I wouldn’t be upset at CB either since I don’t feel we are “set” there.....that would also be an A for me.  LB would be an A+ if we landed Roquan Smith.....and a B if we landed Edmunds.  I could live with Vea at 11 but I think it’s a reach.  I do feel he would upgrade our run D but not if we don’t if we don’t get improved LB play.  I think Derwin James could be used as a CB or FS in our scheme, and I really expect him to be the player we target if the draft plays out the way I expect.

Archived