Raiders Sign CB Rashaan Melvin

RaidersAreOne

Edit: 1 Year, 6.5 mil deal

From what I understand, this guy came out of nowhere last season for the Colts. He bounced around the league a lot and has a major injury bug. However last season it all came together and he was a legit #1 CB. He is 28 and in the prime of his career. What kind of numbers and term would you be willing to give him? Keep in mind we have Conley and that is pretty much it at CB.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah.... guessing Reggie is taking a back seat while Gruden signs old has beens to the roster.

Yeah, I think Martin was all Gruden but I don't think he was the only one that wanted Nelson. They are working as a team as they said they would IMO.

I like him more than most. He provides great size and his man cover skills are really good and he provides ru support from the CB position. He is not afraid to tackle. He matched up one on one with A.Brown most of the game with very little help and held Brown to under 50 yards. Late bloomer who has had injury concerns, but is a upgrade over Smith and Amerson. Wouldn’t stop u from drafting a CB, but you get the flexibility of drafting else if needed in the first round. 

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah.... guessing Reggie is taking a back seat while Gruden signs old has beens to the roster.

They signed 1 guy over 30 who happened to play for the team our GM and WR coach are coming from. And that was to replace another "old has been" who is more about himself than the team.

24 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

They signed 1 guy over 30 who happened to play for the team our GM and WR coach are coming from. And that was to replace another "old has been" who is more about himself than the team.

Doug Marting is only 29 I guess. Still, he's washed up.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Doug Marting is only 29 I guess. Still, he's washed up.

Martin is one signing i don't like but i'll wait to see the contract. If he's easy to cut at the end of the summer, i won't mind much.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

Martin is one signing i don't like but i'll wait to see the contract. If he's easy to cut at the end of the summer, i won't mind much.

Guess that is where I'm at. Still want to see the contract. 

The rest of the signings I give a C overall. Average dudes coming in to just be guys on an 8-8 built roster.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The rest of the signings I give a C overall. Average dudes coming in to just be guys on an 8-8 built roster.

Significant improvement in Oakland's record will bank on previous and incoming draftees producing above expectations. Which is how average teams become great (see Saints last year, Kamara,  Lattimore, Thomas). And is to be entirely expected considering we didn't go into free agency flush with cash for a spree. After all of our signings thus far, we're pretty much where any pragmatic person should have thought we would be. All the other fans and posters expecting splashes and marquee players should have read the clear signs better, i.e. minimal cap room for big adds and the staff themselves saying our young unproductive players need to step up.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is the worst take of the day? Who would you rather be signing? 

Guys are overpaying left and right and the Raiders have acquired solid, starting caliber players for very affordable prices without jeopardizing long-term cap space. 

Whitehead is a dependable starter at LB, which we haven't seen in an eternity. Gilchrist is an average safety with versatility who we just signed for pretty cheap. Melvin was a very good corner last year and we paid him half what his market SHOULD dictate purely on his level of play. We got Nelson despite heavy interest from contenders like NE/Seattle/NO.

There's no way Doug Martin got some kind of huge money. He has no leverage. It's probably a one year deal with minimal guarantees.

Free agency can't take this team over the top. We need our young draft picks to develop and this years draft to be impactful. On the first 2 days we can potentially land 2-3 starting level talents and hopefully our first round pick will be a star. THAT will take us over the top. Not signing a good player to an extravagant contract.

Would have liked to have paid a little more and got a second year out of it (2 yr $16 Million).  Not going to complain about a low risk signing below the persons market value.  He got paid just over what DJ Hayden got so A+ for me in this crazy FA market.

Archived