Raiders Sign CB Rashaan Melvin

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is the worst take of the day? Who would you rather be signing? 

Guys are overpaying left and right and the Raiders have acquired solid, starting caliber players for very affordable prices without jeopardizing long-term cap space. 

Whitehead is a dependable starter at LB, which we haven't seen in an eternity. Gilchrist is an average safety with versatility who we just signed for pretty cheap. Melvin was a very good corner last year and we paid him half what his market SHOULD dictate purely on his level of play. We got Nelson despite heavy interest from contenders like NE/Seattle/NO.

There's no way Doug Martin got some kind of huge money. He has no leverage. It's probably a one year deal with minimal guarantees.

Free agency can't take this team over the top. We need our young draft picks to develop and this years draft to be impactful. On the first 2 days we can potentially land 2-3 starting level talents and hopefully our first round pick will be a star. THAT will take us over the top. Not signing a good player to an extravagant contract.

Excellent post. Spot on.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Melvin got a 1 year 6,5M deal.

Good value and could turn into a really good signing if he can stay healthy.

On paper the Conley-Melvin is a solid man duo.

I like that contract. Telling a guy who was coming off a career year needed a "prove it deal" but it is what it is. 

Hope he can replicate his early season last year.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is the worst take of the day? Who would you rather be signing? 

Guys are overpaying left and right and the Raiders have acquired solid, starting caliber players for very affordable prices without jeopardizing long-term cap space. 

Whitehead is a dependable starter at LB, which we haven't seen in an eternity. Gilchrist is an average safety with versatility who we just signed for pretty cheap. Melvin was a very good corner last year and we paid him half what his market SHOULD dictate purely on his level of play. We got Nelson despite heavy interest from contenders like NE/Seattle/NO.

There's no way Doug Martin got some kind of huge money. He has no leverage. It's probably a one year deal with minimal guarantees.

Free agency can't take this team over the top. We need our young draft picks to develop and this years draft to be impactful. On the first 2 days we can potentially land 2-3 starting level talents and hopefully our first round pick will be a star. THAT will take us over the top. Not signing a good player to an extravagant contract.

Couldn't have said it better. We were priced out of most of the top FAs. We're returning to signing average players to fill holes if need be and then being free to pick our BPA in the draft. I just hope our BPAs aren't Reggie getting cute in the draft again. Although last year I think he picked the right guys based on the players available. Can't help injuries though. 

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah.... guessing Reggie is taking a back seat while Gruden signs old has beens to the roster.

You know what's interesting. I don't remember going after this many free agents this fast in previous Reggie years. Reggie used to make a signing or two and then wait for the dust to settle and pick up what's left. This time, we've gotten almost everyone we've appeared to go after, and within the first 5 days of free agency. 

If you're looking at positions and players, we've practically filled most holes on the team, with an exception or two. 

7 hours ago, G said:

Cheaper and better than Smith and Amerson. Also drafting a CB is a possibility but not a dire need. Great addition.

That one year contract though. This is like a rental because if he proves it the Raiders could be looking for another starter in a year. The Raiders need to draft a running mate for Conley imo. 

24 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

That one year contract though. This is like a rental because if he proves it the Raiders could be looking for another starter in a year. The Raiders need to draft a running mate for Conley imo. 

+1

Not just because of the 1 year deal, but also because of Melvin's injury history...

35 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think it's less like a rental and more like a prove-it deal. If he plays in 2018 like he did in 2018, I expect him to get extended before the end of the season.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:24 AM, big_palooka said:

Yeah.... guessing Reggie is taking a back seat while Gruden signs old has beens to the roster.

Average players in the right scheme can make the playoffs.  Just takes the right coach to get them there.  S. McVay with the Rams is a perfect example of what coaching can do for a team.  It is possible that J. Gruden ends up doing the same thing for the Raiders.  If you're already counting out J. Gruden, then it doesn't matter who we pick up anyway.  I'll admit that I think D. Martin is a training camp cut like T. Richardson was before, but that doesn't mean we can't get it done with M. Lynch and the mighty mights.  I'm personally hoping we luck out with S. Michel in the second, but I've already said that about 20 times so I'll go ahead and simmer down with that.  I look forward to the season, I think our offense will play better than it has in years.  ICO of our defense, the same.  P. Guenther definitely has a great chance at fielding a more respectable defense than the last 2-3 years. 

14 hours ago, Rolni said:

+1

Not just because of the 1 year deal, but also because of Melvin's injury history...

His injury last year may have been leverage for us in the negotiation but I wouldn't say that it's a legit concern. he has had 2 real injuries in his career. A hamstring in 2012 and the hand last year.

Archived