Allen Hurns being released?

.Buzz

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

They also have Russell Wilson though so that helps create alot of problems too

More so Seattle of the early years/when they won a SB. Russell wasn't at the level he is now.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:47 AM, Tugboat said:

And last year, our offensive passing game sucked ugly nuts.  They need to be actually significantly better this year, to achieve similarly overall.

Saying, "no worse than that lucky time it worked out alright" is not a compelling argument imo.

Yes, and no.

We look at that offense and it sucked yes. But if you look at it game by game?

Arob was lost week 1.  Cole was a udfa from small school who didn't really emerge until week 8ish. Hurns played the first 9 games. Then Dede, who has been out all season, comes back to essentially replace Hurns in the lineup as a rookie. Lee was really the only one who played (except last two games), but even he was banged up all year.

Looking at it realistically, Dede and Cole should be better. I expect Lee and Hurns to be roughly the same guys. You add Moncrief to that,  whatever you get from him, is boost.

The problem is, when you look at this passing offense (including the QB to an extent), it's always going to be a chicken or egg situation.

Didnt need vs Texans, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, browns (games we were up and didn't try to throw). That's 5 of 16 games.

Titans x 2, Jets, Rams, Cards. 5 games where the passing game was needed, and 5 games where Blake looked absolutely horrible. Rams was so ridiculously conservative and the coaching staff clearly got out-coached and unprepared running into goalline defenses in midfield.

Then you're left with 2 Colts games, Chargers, Seahawks, Texans, and 49ers games which are games I'd consider "ok to good" for the passing game. Thats 6 games. 

Looking at it, that's 5 out of 16 games where the passing game was needed and it didn't respond: three of which were prior to Dede/emergence of Cole. 

And in most of the games (including playoffs), the bad showings happened the same game Bortles was terrible or playcalling was ultra conservative and the defense couldn't bail us out (or made their own gaffes a few times).

So yeah, chicken or the egg?

On 3/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

They also have Russell Wilson though so that helps create alot of problems too

You guys think of Wilson as he is right now he was sheltered his first 3 yrs in the league.. I don't think you all realize just how terrible of a coaching staff Blake actually brought up in this was like Blake's rookie year. Blake was actually coached up this past year Doug accomplished everything Gus accomplished in 1 year, Gus couldn't manage that in 4.

5 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

You guys think of Wilson as he is right now he was sheltered his first 3 yrs in the league.. I don't think you all realize just how terrible of a coaching staff Blake actually brought up in this was like Blake's rookie year. Blake was actually coached up this past year Doug accomplished everything Gus accomplished in 1 year, Gus couldn't manage that in 4.

I take rookie year Wilson over any year Bortles, ever.  He will never be that good.  On account of, he doesn't throw the football good.  Which is important for a football quarterback.

It's somewhat similar in that we're asking 5th year Bortles to basically be rookie year Russell...for a carefully negotiated down $10M per year or whatever.  But we're sitting here with a Bortles that we're treating like rookie year Wilson in terms of doing everything humanly possible to shelter the guy and ask as little of him as possible.  And at the end of the day...he's still not even as talented a QB with the sort of upside Russell Wilson has clearly demonstrated in his career from the start.  We're desperately hoping Bortles can approximate what Wilson did for that championship Seahawks team...many years later into his career.

Sheltered or not...Wilson didn't just magically become this stud QB because he had an "easy" first couple years.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:58 AM, Tugboat said:

I take rookie year Wilson over any year Bortles, ever.  He will never be that good.  On account of, he doesn't throw the football good.  Which is important for a football quarterback.

It's somewhat similar in that we're asking 5th year Bortles to basically be rookie year Russell...for a carefully negotiated down $10M per year or whatever.  But we're sitting here with a Bortles that we're treating like rookie year Wilson in terms of doing everything humanly possible to shelter the guy and ask as little of him as possible.  And at the end of the day...he's still not even as talented a QB with the sort of upside Russell Wilson has clearly demonstrated in his career from the start.  We're desperately hoping Bortles can approximate what Wilson did for that championship Seahawks team...many years later into his career.

Sheltered or not...Wilson didn't just magically become this stud QB because he had an "easy" first couple years.

You're preaching choir I said this team should never had drafted Bortles from the beginning but I think everybody is under the assumption that just getting a new QB is just easy as hell. Sometime when you make missteps that are hard to correct you have to go with what you have you don't just get a mulligan. I'm pretty sure if getting a QB was that easy Cleveland wouldn't be Cleveland now would it? 

Archived