Packers signed Kyle fuller to an offer sheet; Bears matched & locked him up with new 4-year deal

49erurtaza

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Doesn't really matter. All we'd have to do is verbally agree with other UFAs and wait until they make it official. We now know we have that cap space still and so do other UFAs.

None of this really mattered. It was all a formality. Bears were going to match unless it was a ridiculous guaranteed number. 

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

None of this really mattered. It was all a formality. Bears were going to match unless it was a ridiculous guaranteed number. 

Yes but the Bears played their hand too quick. Is what it is. Now we move on to other avenues.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

Better to let 'em know you are going to match but not do officially until the deadline lol

Did you really think they werent going to match? I'm sure the Packers knew this was going to happen. That contract looks extremely team friendly. 

5 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Better to let 'em know you are going to match but not do officially until the deadline lol

They were already going to sign him to a long-term deal anyhow. That was already decided way before any team made any offer at all.

49 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

don't understand why Chicago didn't wait a few days, and limit GB's other moves they could make.

Packers could've rescinded the offer. The reason you accept it immediately is if the offer values the player less than you (the team) values them. No reason to risk it.

24 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It pretty much worked out exactly as i said it would.  Thanks for doing the hard part gb

No it didn't lol. Nice try. You just like most others were saying "this gives them a year at 12m" and I kept telling you that they were not going to wait the full year.

This gives them a year to further evaluate Fuller who really has only done this 1 year to this point before they pay him $15M per.

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

No it didn't lol. Nice try. You just like most others were saying "this gives them a year at 12m" and I kept telling you that they were not going to wait the full year.

Um no, i always thought it was going to be a long term deal.  I said from the very beginning it was about letting other teams do the negotiating dirty work.  You were the one who didnt want to do a long term deal. I said over and over the worst case was that he played on the tag and balled out and then they had to pay the big $ next year.

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Um no, i always thought it was going to be a long term deal.  I said from the very beginning it was about letting other teams do the negotiating dirty work.  You were the one who didnt want to do a long term deal. I said over and over the worst case was that he played on the tag and balled out and then they had to pay the big $ next year.

It's up there in the quote man. But whatever I'm not gonna argue over something this petty. 

Let's just be glad that he's still a Bear and not a Packer and hope to hell he lives up to his contract. 

Just bc im that guy and i hate people putting words in my mouth

On 3/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

I guess im not really understanding your objections here.  If they franchise him, absolutely nobody negotiates with him, the Bears pay him $15M, which as you already stated, hes not that guy yet, and you probably arent getting a long term deal done, bc his agent isnt taking anything less than a market setting deal. By transition tagging him instead, you reduce the cost to $12M, more in line with comparable cbs, he is able to go out and find out what his real value is to other teams. The Bears have the right to match any offer, so unless somebody really goes all in on Fuller hes going to be a Bear.  The ultimate goal is to get the long-term deal done and this seems like a real good path to make that happen.  Are you just against signing Fuller to a long-term deal?

On 3/6/2018 at 7:12 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

No best case scenario for the Bears is that his market is set reasonably, they get him under contract for 4 or 5 years, and Fuller balls out making less than $15M per.  Peronally I think $12M is the right number for him.  Id go 5/$65M on him in a heartbeat

Checkmate

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Glad that Pace didn't let him walk but he is not worth being paid more than Casey Hayward.

look at the details on spotrac (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/kyle-fuller-14423/). Thats a great deal for chi, not sire what the packers were thinking here. They basically signed their competitors best corner to an at market deal at best for them. Chicago should be sending gb a thank you card.

Archived