Green Bay signs Fuller to offer sheet; Bears match

AZBearsFan

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

within a couple of hours, it appeared.

Offers and interest was all that Fuller and his agent were waiting on to see before agreeing to any long-term deal with the Bears based on what they had previously offered.  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

According to Rap the Bears are matching, like most of us expected.

Side note, but not completely unrelated.  I really cant stand the new score.  I never really liked Mully & Hanley, i really liked spiegel & parkins, and i couldnt stand what had Bernstein & Goff had become.  Now spiegel is gone, probably my favorite guy along with Parkins.  Now theyve stuck Parkins with Danny Mac and its unlistenable.  Mac actually said on the radio that Kyle Fuller misses far too many tackles.  Folks hes saying that the cb who probably was the best tackling cb in the nfl last year missed too many tackles.  He also said that Fuller played poorly against AJ Green, which if i recall Green didnt catch a single ball against fuller.  He brings up the lack of takeaways, which is fair but completely poo poos the 22 pds.  And then neither guy nor the producers apparently can even get the facts about transition v franchise right. Thank goodness for Lawrence Holmes. 

He's not off on that statement and one that concerns me too. The same with the 22 PD's and lack of TO's.

No CB should be tied 8th in the league in most missed tackles. Especially one that played the field-side over 3/4 of the season. 

The 22 PD's are nice....but that's not AS impressive when you're targeted a league high 110 times. 

Edit: Just to put this into perspective.

Player TM POS Missed Tackles Total Tackles Miss tackle % rate
Joe Schobert CLE LB 26 68 27.70%
Kwon Alexander TB LB 24 56 30.00%
Ryan Shazier PIT LB 23 56 29.10%
Sean Davis PIT DB 21 64 24.70%
Jarrad Davis DET LB 20 61 24.70%
Alec Ogletree LARM LB 19 56 25.30%
Lorenzo Alexander BUF LB 19 37 33.90%
Daniel Sorensen KC DB 18 60 23.10%
Kyle Fuller CHI DB 18 56 24.30%

40 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

John Middlekauff

You forgot to mention the sources and from which the quote was derived from

Around the League Fuller is looked at as a solid #1 corner. Solid corner is one thing.....being paid like a top corner is another. Pace should've franchise tagged Fuller and let him prove that last year wasn't just a fluke before over-paying him. Money and decision wise, the FO F'd up.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

You forgot to mention the sources and this from which the quote was derived from

Around the League Fuller is looked at as a solid #1 corner. Solid corner is one thing.....being paid like a top corner is another. Pace should've franchise tagged Fuller and let him prove that last year wasn't just a fluke before over-paying him. Money and decision wise, the FO F'd up.

So the Bears got him at less than the Franchise Tag price but they messed up.  Hmmmm, if you say so.

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

So the Bears got him at less than the Franchise Tag price but they messed up.  Hmmmm, if you say so.

The franchise tag was only 1m less(15m) than the 14m per year than what they're paying him now over the course of 4 years. 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The franchise tag was only 1m less(15m) than the 14m per year than what they're paying him now over the course of 4 years. 

So you want to pay him more and possibly pay him even more.

9 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

So you want to pay him more and possibly pay him even more.

Yes, I would have absolutely taken that chance given our current cap situation. Let's 

Look, if Fuller balls-out these next few years....this a great deal. but how many times have we seen this happen before where players that look good one year, get a huge contract and completely fall apart afterwards (i.e Nathan Vasher). CB is one of the hardest positions to be consistent at in today's game with the rule changes.  

bottomline, I'm skeptical that Fuller can maintain this same success and I'm of the opinion that you don't pay a player top dollar until he has proven to be a consistent top player. Which Fuller has not at this point.

This is a very interesting contract and i think i understand the confusion over the guaranteed.  This contract is a hpt mess, but i get why Kyle signed it. Its super frontloaded, like heres $18m the very day you sign this thanks.  But...he "only gets $1M base this year, and $8m base next year.  Cap hits of $6.5M and $13.5m respectively.  Both very reasonable #s which get us to 2020.  If he is cut in 2020 it saves the bears $8.5M.  In 2021, they could save $14.5M in cap space if they need it.  Kyle signed it bc he gets a huge check day 1.  GB is limited in cap space so they had to get creative to keep the cap # low this year.  Now the Bears actually have more cap space this year than they did yesterday (should be back up to $40M) and they have Fuller long term to go with Prince long term.

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The 22 PD's are nice....but that's not AS impressive when you're targeted a league high 110 times. 

Player TM POS Missed Tackles Total Tackles Miss tackle % rate
Joe Schobert CLE LB 26 68 27.70%
Kwon Alexander TB LB 24 56 30.00%
Ryan Shazier PIT LB 23 56 29.10%
Sean Davis PIT DB 21 64 24.70%
Jarrad Davis DET LB 20 61 24.70%
Alec Ogletree LARM LB 19 56 25.30%
Lorenzo Alexander BUF LB 19 37 33.90%
Daniel Sorensen KC DB 18 60 23.0%
Kyle Fuller CHI DB 18 56  

Opposing qbs had a passer rating of 46 when targeting Fuller.  I have no idea why they kept targeting him.  Its not like his guy was open.  

Heres what i will say about Kyle hes got bad hands.  There were more than a few occassions where Kyle got a pd and a should have been a pick.  Hes got to work on that.

Archived