Astros extending Altuve with 5 yr/$150m deal (beginning 2020)

Spartica4Real

This is what happens when players are successful and/or a team wins. Altuve will probably be more or less worth that contract, especially at that term. But at some point, someone on the Astros core will be traded because of cost or leave via free agency and we'll wonder what if. Nothing against the Astros or Altuve, this is just how the business works. A team's window is rarely as long as it appears.

3 hours ago, playmaker8267 said:

This is what happens when players are successful and/or a team wins. Altuve will probably be more or less worth that contract, especially at that term. But at some point, someone on the Astros core will be traded because of cost or leave via free agency and we'll wonder what if. Nothing against the Astros or Altuve, this is just how the business works. A team's window is rarely as long as it appears.

I would be shocked if Keuchel is still an Astro in 2019. 

He deserved it. He probably won't live up to the contract but he already has lived up to it and earned it. I agree with NewAge. I don't expect Keuchel back either. I understand this side of things. I figured Altuve would be the face they wanted to keep on team. They know Correa is likely 90% gone already. Springer is a toss up but likely gone as well. I could see them trying to keep McCullers and perhaps Bregman as longer termed players.

11 hours ago, NewAge said:

I would be shocked if Keuchel is still an Astro in 2019. 

He won't be. He gone. 

5 hours ago, biggio7 said:

They know Correa is likely 90% gone already. 

They do? With Altuve out of the way he is their biggest priority. Correa has said he wants to him and Altuve to play here together their whole careers. And while those words don't really hold any weight in actual contract discussions, he does want to be here. I think he's the most likely to be locked up long term after Altuve. Keuchel's 100% gone, Verlander is almost 100% gone, and Springer is likely gone as well. I think they'll dish it out to keep Altuve/Correa together though. 

6 hours ago, biggio7 said:

He deserved it. He probably won't live up to the contract but he already has lived up to it and earned it. I agree with NewAge. I don't expect Keuchel back either. I understand this side of things. I figured Altuve would be the face they wanted to keep on team. They know Correa is likely 90% gone already. Springer is a toss up but likely gone as well. I could see them trying to keep McCullers and perhaps Bregman as longer termed players.

I don't see why Houston can't retain Correa. They're a relatively big market and he's the face of a WS team

With Altuve getting a large sum of the new money upfront it helps lessen the hit on the backend of the deal.  That's huge for the Correa extension potential, props to Jim Crane.  That man has exceed my expectations greatly as an owner, done everything he said he was going to do.

16 hours ago, CAS22 said:

With Altuve getting a large sum of the new money upfront it helps lessen the hit on the backend of the deal.  That's huge for the Correa extension potential, props to Jim Crane.  That man has exceed my expectations greatly as an owner, done everything he said he was going to do.

It's nice to have an owner who is completely transparent with the fans. 

Houston will have enough cash to lock up a core around Altuve/Correa/Bregman.  Especially in that market, coming off a WS, and being very competitive for the near future.  They'll then likely spend on 2 starting pitchers and then go young everywhere else when the existing guys cycle out.

Archived