Does Matthews survive the off season?

ROBOKOP

Looking how active the Packers have been in free agency, our next overpaid and under-performing guy on the decline is Matthews.  With a cap savings of 11 mil, does he make it on the roster, or does he go if we get Kyle Fuller or other CB help?  I think the smart choice is to send him packing.  

Clay Matthews is a player I like. 

Clay Matthews is a player Pettine has said he is excited about coaching.

Clay Matthews is a good teammate.

Clay Matthews would give the Green Bay Packers, the team I am a fan of, 11 million dollars in salary cap savings.  He would account for 0 dollars in dead money.  It is the opinion of mine that Clay Matthews would have been cut before Jordy Nelson if there was any intention of cutting him or trading him. 

I believe in one way or another, Clay Matthews will be a Packer in 2018. 

I don't get why on Facebook, Reddit, here, everywhere we keep seeing this question. Pass rusher is the most important position on the defense. There are none on the market. If you cut Clay, Kyler Fackrell is the starting EDGE.

He stands 0 chance of being cut. The greatest chance he has is getting extended.

38 minutes ago, ROBOKOP said:

Looking how active the Packers have been in free agency, our next overpaid and under-performing guy on the decline is Matthews.  With a cap savings of 11 mil, does he make it on the roster, or does he go if we get Kyle Fuller or other CB help?  I think the smart choice is to send him packing.  

Clay will survive and thrive under Pettine. I'm betting he'll be extended sooner rather than later. 

34 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

No way.  Cobb and/or Bulaga.

Cobb is going to be on this team, and I expect they will finally scheme him open. Rodgers trusts Cobb. Cobb doesn't have speed but still can change direction on a dime. I think were going to see an 75-85 catch season. 

1 minute ago, DocHambone said:

Cobb is going to be on this team, and I expect they will finally scheme him open. Rodgers trusts Cobb. Cobb doesn't have speed but still can change direction on a dime. I think were going to see an 75-85 catch season. 

I like Cobb, and think he could have a very good year, but the opportunity cost of paying him 10m and not upgrading positions with more impact/uncertainty is high.  A guy who is paid 1m or less could also be schemed open.

Just now, LacyIsGood said:

I like Cobb, and think he could have a very good year, but the opportunity cost of paying him 10m and not upgrading positions with more impact/uncertainty is high.  A guy who is paid 1m or less could also be schemed open.

Find me the guy who is paid 1m or less that can do what Cobb does, and has the trust of Rodgers. Look, I'm not even that big of a Cobb guy and think he would be a much better player if he dropped some weigh,t but like it or not, GB chose Cobb over Jordy. 

1 minute ago, DocHambone said:

Find me the guy who is paid 1m or less that can do what Cobb does, and has the trust of Rodgers. Look, I'm not even that big of a Cobb guy and think he would be a much better player if he dropped some weigh,t but like it or not, GB chose Cobb over Jordy. 

A draft pick who is more athletic than Cobb would fit the bill.  I'm more confident a rookie WR could produce at a high enough level.  Not so sure a CB could.

Just now, LacyIsGood said:

A draft pick who is more athletic than Cobb would fit the bill.  I'm more confident a rookie WR could produce at a high enough level.  Not so sure a CB could.

Cobb and Jordy are both slot guys  at this point. When they draft a WR in RD 2-3 its going to be a boundary guy. Cutting Cobb would add a need on the boundary and slot. Are you really going to bank on two rookies for that? That seems like really poor roster construction to me. 

2 minutes ago, DocHambone said:

Cobb and Jordy are both slot guys  at this point. When they draft a WR in RD 2-3 its going to be a boundary guy. Cutting Cobb would add a need on the boundary and slot. Are you really going to bank on two rookies for that? That seems like really poor roster construction to me. 

I would only want a move like this if they could use that money to add another real difference maker.  Like if they wanted to sign Fuller and Mathieu.  In such a scenario, yes I would rather rely on new faces at WR than having the secondary be a sieve.  It wouldn't have to be two rookies either.  They could sign a guy (Pryor or Matthews), give Allison a chance, or even Janis/Yancey.  I think Rodgers could easily elevate their abilities.  I don't see how to come by that with the secondary.

1 hour ago, ROBOKOP said:

Two questions to answer your question.  Suppose they do release Clay Matthews, whose their top 3 OLBs?  And who exactly are they going to turn around and spend that money they save with Clay on?  Your answer is right there.  No, the Packers aren't releasing Clay Matthews.

Nothing would surprise me with the new sheriff in town. I think Matthews is with us, but he's not playing to his contract. 

Guys who could go:

Bulaga

Cobb

Clinton-Dix - do they see him long-term and does somebody offer them too much to turn down. I think Jones is slotted in at one safety. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Two questions to answer your question.  Suppose they do release Clay Matthews, whose their top 3 OLBs?  And who exactly are they going to turn around and spend that money they save with Clay on?  Your answer is right there.  No, the Packers aren't releasing Clay Matthews.

Remove Clay and insert Damarious and it's the same scenario. No one saw that coming either. Although, I do think you are correct in your statement. 

Archived