Does Matthews survive the off season?

ROBOKOP

Just now, Golfman said:

Remove Clay and insert Damarious and it's the same scenario. No one saw that coming either. Although, I do think you are correct in your statement. 

Except Damarious was a headcase.  And they didn't get rid of Damarious Randall because of cap reasons.  The Packers (Gute in particular) must have felt encouraged by what was available in FA or via trade to move Randall.  The fact that the Packers haven't moved on from Clay indicates that there isn't that same level of comfort.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Except Damarious was a headcase.  And they didn't get rid of Damarious Randall because of cap reasons.  The Packers (Gute in particular) must have felt encouraged by what was available in FA or via trade to move Randall.  The fact that the Packers haven't moved on from Clay indicates that there isn't that same level of comfort.

Correct! However, this is still a problem with depth. 

4 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

A draft pick who is more athletic than Cobb would fit the bill.  I'm more confident a rookie WR could produce at a high enough level.  Not so sure a CB could.

Cobb had 330 yards and 3 TDs with Rodgers under center in less than 4 games. He was on pace for 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs. Can we all just get over it already. Cobb is here to stay. 

7 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Cobb had 330 yards and 3 TDs with Rodgers under center in less than 4 games. He was on pace for 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs. Can we all just get over it already. Cobb is here to stay. 

What was Jordy on pace for with Rodgers under center? How many of Cobb's yards and TD's were designed plays vs. Rodgers creating something? I seldom see Cobb getting the ball on designed plays where he whips his guy off the line. He's not fast and he's lost some quickness. 

Also, for 3 years since getting paid he's way under performed. Tell me where I'm wrong here?

12 hours ago, Golfman said:

Correct! However, this is still a problem with depth. 

Did you read the stories on Randall? Packers considered cutting him outright after the Bears game last year. The fact we got anything for him is a plus. He was a cancer the coaches AND some veteran players wanted gone. 

14 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

No way.  Cobb and/or Bulaga.

After we cut Jordy Cobb isn't going anywhere unless some rookie we draft beats him out.  Bulaga might not be ready by TC and I don't know if we can release an injured player.  Are Spriggs, Urlick John or Adam Pankey ready to take over?  I doubt it...

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

After we cut Jordy Cobb isn't going anywhere unless some rookie we draft beats him out.  Bulaga might not be ready by TC and I don't know if we can release an injured player.  Are Spriggs, Urlick John or Adam Pankey ready to take over?  I doubt it...

I agree, Cobb is not going anywhere.

Bulaga could only be released with a significant injury settlement - really no upside in going that route at this point.The Packers could pick up $4,703,125 million on their cap if they released Bulaga. That number would jump to $6,303,125 if they designated him as a post-June 1 cut. I doubt they release him, but if they do it will be after June 1 IMO

I don't know. Call me crazy, silly, or weird; but I'm not seeing $11+ million value in Clay anymore.  Looking at his stats last year, it seems he's lost his fire.  He rarely makes it through an entire season without injuring a hamstring, thumb, or a lock of hair.  You can talk about, "disruptions", but he is kinda predictable and one-dimensional.  Yes, we need a pass rush, but is this a coaching issue where our new D Coordinator will extract gold from him for one last season? If not him then who is a good question, but also a question that has to be asked if he isn't on the field due to injuries as well.  Honestly it's been frustrating seeing him on the sidelines on some big games.  Clay has done a lot for the Packers, but from a business standpoint, I find him to be a expendable source of funds to help invest in other improvements.   

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Add the issue of your edge rusher rotation being Perry/Rookie/Fackrell/Biegel.

Yea - I was just barking at the moon. In reality, Clay would play both inside and outside. But harder to make the CB wisecrack if I admit that

I just hate the idea of a CB at #14 and can't shake it

26 minutes ago, ROBOKOP said:

I don't know. Call me crazy, silly, or weird; but I'm not seeing $11+ million value in Clay anymore.  Looking at his stats last year, it seems he's lost his fire.  He rarely makes it through an entire season without injuring a hamstring, thumb, or a lock of hair.  You can talk about, "disruptions", but he is kinda predictable and one-dimensional.  Yes, we need a pass rush, but is this a coaching issue where our new D Coordinator will extract gold from him for one last season? If not him then who is a good question, but also a question that has to be asked if he isn't on the field due to injuries as well.  Honestly it's been frustrating seeing him on the sidelines on some big games.  Clay has done a lot for the Packers, but from a business standpoint, I find him to be a expendable source of funds to help invest in other improvements.   

What are you doing with that 11 million dollars that makes this a better football team?

If you've got a plan, we're all listening, but the FA pass rusher market is garbage. 

Vinny Curry

Akeem Ayers

Junior Galette

Lamarr Houston

Connor Barwin

Tamba Hali

James Harrison

Pernell McPhee

KeKe Mingo

Arthur Moats

Aldon SMith

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Add the issue of your edge rusher rotation being Perry/Rookie/Fackrell/Biegel.

If on the field talent is thought still there and its necessary to free up CAP space, renegotiate Clays numbers - done.

I've always thought him a better weapon when moved around - as opposed to his constant mad dash to get under the LT's shoulder pads before he's pushed beyond the pocket.

It's not rocket science. It's football.

It isn’t really worth it to cut Clay. He easily could get a 1 year deal somewhere in the ballpark of what he is making. Peppers got 5m. Trent Murphy got 3 years 22 (potentially 30). Clay is overpaid but not by as much as perceived. Maybe like 2m. Then there is the fact by cutting him we’d create another need (if we got Vin Curry for 11, I might be okay).

Archived