Ravens sign Michael Crabtree to 3 year deal

paraven

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Sorry. My comment was for the OP. You hadn’t responded yet when I went to write. The comment about how Crabtree is better than any of the other receivers.

Just think Mason was more productive coming into the team and was the same age as Crabtree is now. So I was asking him to explain being of that opinion.

In terms of pure talent I feel Crabtree is up there, he was drafted top 10 for a reason. Mason was sure handed and ran super crisp routes, making him always open. Obviously Boldin/Mason/SSS had better careers, but they outwilled their opponents and got open. Crabtree has the talent and is able to make amazing catches, something weve never seen here in Baltimore

10 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

We all know Pro Bowls are a joke. Steve Smith should've made it in 2014.

We all know the type of WR we are talking about isn't a 34 year old who is cut and signed for 3.5M a year. Also, you should remember that SSSR fell off dramatically as the season went on. We were trying to use him like a #1 and he WAS performing at that level for like half a season, but couldn't sustain at his age. 

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Why go hall of fame? He's never had a pro bowler either. 

I wouldn’t say that. Steve Smith was one year removed from the pro bowl, Derrick Mason two years removed, and Anquan Boldin was two years removed.

What I qualify as a #1 receiver is a player who perennially averages 1250+ receiving yards (80 receiving yards/game) and 8 receiving touchdowns (one every other game).

I think that shows a player who can consistently take over and dominate a game.

I would say a great #2 receiver is going to be someone that perennially averages 1050-1200 yds receiving (65-75 receiving yards/game) and 6 receiving touchdowns.

A solid/good #2 receiver is someone that averages 800-950 receiving yards (50-60 yds/game) and 4 touchdowns.

Anything below that I don’t consider either a number one or number two receiver. Any receiver in between the above numbers I would consider a tweener.

I would say another qualifier is to be no more than one season removed from the above qualifiers in order to maintain that distinction.

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I wouldn’t say that. Steve Smith was one year removed from the pro bowl, Derrick Mason two years removed, and Anquan Boldin was two years removed.

? Steve Smith was last a pro-bowler on 2011, we got him in 2014. 2+ years is a LONG time.

We've never had a receiver who was a pro-bowler in Baltimore is what I was saying. SSSR is a hall-of-famer too IMO, if we are going back.

I'm happy that we're giving the money to Crabtree instead of Grant, but I'm still somewhat reserved. 

He's dropped a lot of catches over the past couple of seasons and his play wasn't great last year.  I'll wait and see what he does before jumping on this bandwagon

17 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We've never had a receiver who was a pro-bowler in Baltimore is what I was saying.

Which is only the receivers fault, is it?

Flacco's never had a multitude of weapons, but he hasn't exactly consistently used what he's been given very well either for extended periods of time.  Nor have the schemes been particularly conducive to big receiving numbers, considering Harbaugh is a pretty backwards coach when it comes to following the evolution of the league.

Using Pro Bowlers at WR as the sole measurement of whether Flacco has had good targets to throw to is too simplistic

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Which is only the receivers fault, is it?

Flacco's never had a multitude of weapons, but he hasn't exactly consistently used what he's been given very well.  Nor have the schemes been particularly conducive to big receiving numbers consider Harbaugh is a pretty backwards coach when it comes to following the evolution of the league.

Using Pro Bowlers at WR as the sole measurement of whether Flacco has had good targets to throw to is too simplistic

The pro-bowl is not that a high bar. And it was not reached once in 10 years. That's pretty statistically significant regardless of how imperfect the pro bowl selection process is.

Also, the idea that Flacco and the scheme and Harbaugh are the reason these guys haven't hit more production doesn't really make sense when Mason, Steve Smith, and Wallace all had their productivity go up when joining Flacco despite being at the age where they should have been declining. Boldin's production went down a little (esp. if you include playoffs). He was the one hurt most with Cam Cameron though, and obviously had that playoff performance before he left. 

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

? Steve Smith was last a pro-bowler on 2011, we got him in 2014. 2+ years is a LONG time.

We've never had a receiver who was a pro-bowler in Baltimore is what I was saying. SSSR is a hall-of-famer too IMO, if we are going back.

Yeah, the Steve Smith part was definitely a mistake. But my point there was that we had receivers with prior probowl experience.

And I don’t think you can use that fact that we’ve never had that probowl WR on the roster as proof of our dirth of talent in the Flacco era, at least not when discussing free agent acquisitions. Because Flacco could theoretically be the problem and thus if he is, a probowl receiver might not perform to a probowl caliber with him quarterbacking.

That said, I don’t think he’s the problem. Other than Boldin, most of the other receivers continued to have similar production here as before. Boldin was the only player that experienced a serious decline to his numbers from what he did before and after.

I think it’s less about the accolades of being a pro bowler (because that’s mainly just a popularity contest that always takes a year or two for the masses to come around to a breakout players talent level unless in a big market) and more about some defined production standard.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

And I don’t think you can use that fact that we’ve never had that probowl WR on the roster as proof of our dirth of talent in the Flacco era, at least not when discussing free agent acquisitions. Because Flacco could theoretically be the problem and thus if he is, a probowl receiver might not perform to a probowl caliber with him quarterbacking.

Uh.. you guys might want to check these guys' number pre/post Flacco.

Tying this back to the topic at hand... we just picked up a guy coming off a 618 who we spent modest-ish (given the market) money on. And it seems like people are expecting a 1000+ yard receiver here.......No... guys... we still need to draft WRs with premium picks to find a real answer. This is a patch, not a solution.

Archived