Ravens sign Michael Crabtree to 3 year deal

paraven

8 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Why did this thread turn into a referendum on Flacco's career in Baltimore?

I'm just happy about the signing (particularly the numbers)!

Doesn't that happen with every thread?

I'm not moved one way or the other by this signing. Could be good, could be a waste of money. I'm rarely excited by any free agent move the Ravens make. We've seen enough players be good in one place and useless in another to know that it really isn't possible to predict success with any surety.

23 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Doesn't that happen with every thread?

I'm not moved one way or the other by this signing. Could be good, could be a waste of money. I'm rarely excited by any free agent move the Ravens make. We've seen enough players be good in one place and useless in another to know that it really isn't possible to predict success with any surety.

I feel a bit the same way. We had such huge problems on offense last year - and continuity is what finally got it going. Now, continuity is thrown out the window, we have to replace 2 spots on the oline again, we have to find a new tight end and wide receivers to patch up the units we already have. We also need a complimentary back. This is rarely a recipe for succes

3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

In what way?

There's a fair argument to be made that some of the FO & coaching continuity has been holding the franchise back

He's talking about the offense, the line specifically. When they settled into the Stanley-Hurst-Jenson-Skura-Howard lineup, and how we had an uptick in production. Now that we've lost two of those pieces, he feels we've once again taken a step back. I think that's what he's referencing, not the coaching continuity. 

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

He's talking about the offense, the line specifically. When they settled into the Stanley-Hurst-Jenson-Skura-Howard lineup, and how we had an uptick in production. Now that we've lost two of those pieces, he feels we've once again taken a step back. I think that's what he's referencing, not the coaching continuity. 

Spot on. You could add the wrinkles after the bye where we added Chris Moore to the WR lineup instead of Perriman, used fullback more as well as the 2 running back sets.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s fair. I only compared Brown to Torrey because he’s a deep threat that’s going to be on the field to stretch the defenses and open up room underneath for Crabtree and <insert 1st round receiver> to thrive underneath and in the intermediate parts of the field.

This lineup definitely caters well for the selection of DJ Moore though. As Moore is essentially Derrick Mason before the ball gets into his hands and then turns into Steve Smith after the ball gets into his hands. His intermediate game should be sick.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking!

13 hours ago, sp6488 said:

The Moore/Jacoby comparison is a little loose, but I think he'd be the upgrade there.  He's built like a runningback (a less thick one) and is really a guy you want with the ball in the open field.

The thing I would really love about that group is how well they complement each other.  They attack each level of the defense.  Crabtree is the chain mover, running outs, back shoulder fades and comebacks.  Brown is the guy going over the top of the defense.  Moore would be the guy running intermediate routes and getting the ball in space on quicker hitting plays.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. And if we account for the magic that was DPI, that number is even higher. He probably accounted for like 1400 yds receiving with that. Smith’s impact as a deep threat was also very underrated. Boldin was partly allowed to dominated so much in the playoffs because of Torrey’s ability to take the top off. He had elite deep speed, but it was also deceptive. Just like how Alshon Jeffery has deceptive speed, Torrey did as well, but his deceptive speed was elite vs good. Defenders had difficulty adjusting to it.

And how about those hamstrings?  Sheeesh!

So it finally makes sense why Michael Crabtree was a Ravens fan growing up. He used to play safety growing up and was a fan of Ed Reed as per this article.

This whole time I’ve been trying to figure out if he was just saying that as a ploy to get the fan base to buy into him or if he truly was a Ravens fan... and if so, what made him be a fan living in the heart of Cowboys country. But that explains it. If I hadn’t been a fan of the Ravens, a player like Ed Reed would have probably been someone that could have galvanized me into that distinction.

Like so many people on this forum. He truly had a unique football identity that set him apart from his peers.

Archived