Ravens sign Michael Crabtree to 3 year deal

paraven

I should restate that I want us to draft a Flacco successor/replacement more than anyone else here. #LamarJacksonat16. Flacco hasn't played well or been reliable enough for long enough that I'm very concerned.

But, we also can't act like this is the kind of move that solves our WR problems, and say a year from now that the only reason it didn't happen is because of Flacco. We are once again picking up off the scrap heap here.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Uh.. you guys might want to check these guys' number pre/post Flacco.

I don’t think you understand the point I was making.

The probowl argument doesn’t make sense because 1) it’s a popularity contest and 2) our free agent acquisitions all made the pro bowl (of that list) previously.

Thus it would be like me saying a movie didn’t have strong acting talent in it because no one in that movie won an acting award from it vs saying that the acting in the movie was below par. 

The movie could theoretically be the problem as to why the actors didn’t win awards. However if the actors performances are similar to their other performances, then we can conclude that it’s not the movie but the quality of the actors within. Accolades shouldn’t be the defining measure of quality unless we’re talking about a career.

My argument was simply that there are better ways to argue the quality of our receiving talent that doesn’t include a popularity test.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

My argument was simply that there are better ways to argue the quality of our receiving talent that doesn’t include a popularity test.

Ok, I agree with that. I just brought up pro bowl because hall of fame (technically also a popularity content) was thrown around like that was the bar. 

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I should restate that I want us to draft a Flacco successor/replacement more than anyone else here. #LamarJacksonat16. Flacco hasn't played well or been reliable enough for long enough that I'm very concerned.

But, we also can't act like this is the kind of move that solves our WR problems, and say a year from now that the only reason it didn't happen is because of Flacco. We are once again picking up off the scrap heap here.

I agree with your overall point. I don’t think Crabtree is a defining wide receiver. I don’t think most here are saying that.

Just arguing that the fact that we’ve had no probowlers isn’t your best argument. It has too many flaws.

I think most people, like you are satisfactory on this signing and still want us to target a receiver with our first pick in the draft. Crabtree can be that slot guy and red zone target. Kind of like an Anquan Boldin. John Brown can be our Torrey Smith.

But that’s not good enough talent because I would say both are downgrades. But if we can add a talented receiver in the draft along with what Chris Moore provides, that’s a solid receiving core, especially compared to last season.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I agree with your overall point. I don’t think Crabtree is a defining wide receiver. I don’t think most here are saying that.

Just arguing that the fact that we’ve had no probowlers isn’t your best argument. It has too many flaws.

I think most people, like you are satisfactory on this signing and still want us to target a receiver with our first pick in the draft. Crabtree can be that slot guy and red zone target. Kind of like an Anquan Boldin. John Brown can be our Torrey Smith.

But that’s not good enough talent because I would say both are downgrades. But if we can add a talented receiver in the draft along with what Chris Moore provides, that’s a solid receiving core, especially compared to last season.

I was thinking this as well. Just didn't know rather to tag Brown as Torrey or Jacoby.

Crabtree=Boldin. Brown=Torrey. Moore=Jacoby?

7 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I was thinking this as well. Just didn't know rather to tag Brown as Torrey or Jacoby.

The Moore/Jacoby comparison is a little loose, but I think he'd be the upgrade there.  He's built like a runningback (a less thick one) and is really a guy you want with the ball in the open field.

The thing I would really love about that group is how well they complement each other.  They attack each level of the defense.  Crabtree is the chain mover, running outs, back shoulder fades and comebacks.  Brown is the guy going over the top of the defense.  Moore would be the guy running intermediate routes and getting the ball in space on quicker hitting plays.

Well, I didn't want this to happen but I'll stop going in on him now. I only hope for the best when it comes to Ravens and now he's one. Hopefully he steps his play up big time.

Obviously a more prudent decision then throwing $ at Grant, but now the organization needs to follow through and also saturate the position with talent from the draft. That's how competent positional groups are built.  

10 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Well, I didn't want this to happen but I'll stop going in on him now. I only hope for the best when it comes to Ravens and now he's one. Hopefully he steps his play up big time.

Obviously a more prudent decision then throwing $ at Grant, but now the organization needs to follow through and also saturate the position with talent from the draft. That's how competent positional groups are built.  

Yep.  Agreed.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Don't do this for Anquan Boldin, it won't fit your narrative.

For what it's worth Boldin never made much of an impact with the Ravens outside of the Super Bowl run. Which was great, don't get me wrong, but man his legend gets overblown.

Yes, I'll die on that hill.

As for Crabtree I'll take it. I thought he was done after his Achilles injury a few years ago but he came back and produced. I'm not a huge fan of his but I think he's the type of receiver that Flacco will do well with. Someone bigger(ish) he can target a bunch that make plays on the ball. Joe need his receivers to give him all the help he can get with his "precision" throws.

9 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

For what it's worth Boldin never made much of an impact with the Ravens outside of the Super Bowl run. Which was great, don't get me wrong, but man his legend gets overblown.

Yes, I'll die on that hill.

As for Crabtree I'll take it. I thought he was done after his Achilles injury a few years ago but he came back and produced. I'm not a huge fan of his but I think he's the type of receiver that Flacco will do well with. Someone bigger(ish) he can target a bunch that make plays on the ball. Joe need his receivers to give him all the help he can get with his "precision" throws.

For all the crap Torrey Smith gets/got, he had a season with 1,000+ receiving yards and another with 10+ TDs, two marks Boldin never passed with the Ravens.  Always find this interesting when 105.7 callers are wistful for Boldin but act like Torrey was complete trash.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

For all the crap Torrey Smith gets/got, he had a season with 1,000+ receiving yards and another with 10+ TDs, two marks Boldin never passed with the Ravens.  Always find this interesting when 105.7 callers are wistful for Boldin but act like Torrey was complete trash.

Yup. And if we account for the magic that was DPI, that number is even higher. He probably accounted for like 1400 yds receiving with that. Smith’s impact as a deep threat was also very underrated. Boldin was partly allowed to dominated so much in the playoffs because of Torrey’s ability to take the top off. He had elite deep speed, but it was also deceptive. Just like how Alshon Jeffery has deceptive speed, Torrey did as well, but his deceptive speed was elite vs good. Defenders had difficulty adjusting to it.

4 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

That’s fair. I only compared Brown to Torrey because he’s a deep threat that’s going to be on the field to stretch the defenses and open up room underneath for Crabtree and <insert 1st round receiver> to thrive underneath and in the intermediate parts of the field.

This lineup definitely caters well for the selection of DJ Moore though. As Moore is essentially Derrick Mason before the ball gets into his hands and then turns into Steve Smith after the ball gets into his hands. His intermediate game should be sick.

Archived