Dorsey learning from mistakes (FA Edition)

buno67

Epic frontloading of deals in a weak free agent class. Ensures we use the percentage of cap that we needed to whilst building a nice working class talent through the roster that will play hard to try and keep their contract. Also ensures we go into future, stronger free agent classes with lots of money to spend. And finally, keeps us in a good spot to be flexible and adaptable to the wave of second contracts we might have coming up should our numerous young players deserve it.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

People were complaining about Dorsey and his past of signing bad contracts. 

Seems like he set up a lot of deals that if a player doesn’t pan out, they can be easily cut and replaced  

Unfortunately, there are FA deals for losers and what you have to pay a FA on a winning franchise. I have said all along, a solid GM would/should wait till the team shows improvement next year and actual good FA's want to come to Cleveland before going after big name FA's.

Dorsey is just following the true and tried method as to when to spend on FA's and it certainly isn't this year!!! Next year, we will see the big name FA's and spend most of our cap limit.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Let’s see what he does once we don’t have an abundance of money to work with. 

This is where I’m at.

I can’t say I’m impressed by anything he’s done yet, he’s had more draft capital and cap space than any GM in history (thanks Sashi).

I hope he realizes the absurdly wonderful position he’s been given and does this thing right. 

If we don’t end the 2018 off-season with a slew of ‘19-‘20 picks and hella cap flexibility, I’ll be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is where I’m at.

I can’t say I’m impressed by anything he’s done yet, he’s had more draft capital and cap space than any GM in history (thanks Sashi).

I hope he realizes the absurdly wonderful position he’s been given and does this thing right. 

If we don’t end the 2018 off-season with a slew of ‘19-‘20 picks and hella cap flexibility, I’ll be disappointed.

I do not know about extra picks in the 2019 draft, but he will have a load of FA money to spend next year!

1 minute ago, Iamcanadian said:

I do not know about extra picks in the 2019 draft, but he will have a load of FA money to spend next year!

I don’t see why we couldn’t or shouldn’t have the ‘19 picks.

A trade down at 4 for a team thirsty for their QB has been my goal from day 1.  Gimme Buffalo’s 12 this year and firsts in 2019 and 2020 and call it good.

The hard work was already done by Sashi.  All Dorsey has to do is follow suit and he had have his cake and eat it too every year, at least for a while.

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cap flexibility, maybe as we can eject from most of the deals made so far.

Don't think a slew of '19-'20 picks is happening.

I will settle for a '19 #1, and I am not confident that will happen, either.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t see why we couldn’t or shouldn’t have the ‘19 picks.

A trade down at 4 for a team thirsty for their QB has been my goal from day 1.  Gimme Buffalo’s 12 this year and firsts in 2019 and 2020 and call it good.

The hard work was already done by Sashi.  All Dorsey has to do is follow suit and he had have his cake and eat it too every year, at least for a while.

Perhaps because they believe a player at 4 is head and shoulders above all others left on the board, and he would be impossible to get after a trade down and they take him.  What a crazy notion!

2 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Perhaps because they believe a player at 4 is head and shoulders above all others left on the board,

There is no such player in this draft whose value will outweigh the picks.

Archived