All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

His draft status shouldn't mean much. He looked good when he played.

I agree that draft status shouldn't mean much and that he looked good when he played. Also, I am glad that the Vikings coaching staff was patient while Thielan learned nuances rather than rushing him out onto the field. It is a result that I would not argue against.

Sadly, draft status means more than I think it should. Teams are run more efficiently when they adhere closer to that ideal. However, even professional football team fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. The Vikings are not one of the better teams at minimizing their sunk cost fallacy mistakes but they aren't the one of the worst either. It would have been easy for the team to keep Teddy Bridgewater if they were really bad at this. On the other hand, the Vikings gave Matt Kalil a 5th year option and relied on him even when there was no rational reason. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:11 AM, Klomp said:

Oh yeah, in my search, I also came across one person who cited a blogger that said Thielen's job might be in jeopardy because we drafted MoBo. Oops!

Doesn't sound like something I'd have said but maybe it was.  So if it wasn't me who was it?

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He deserves a raise.

Expect them to give Thielen a raise via an early extension next offseason, similar to what Griffen and Joseph got. There’ll be two years left on his extension. They can give him a signing bonus and more guaranteed money up front while tacking on another 2-3 years to his existing deal, through to his age 32-33 season. 

Spielman was asked about WR after the draft, why they didn't bring one in with Diggs and Wright in last year of deals. Said it was about the depth of positions on the board and they really liked the WRs they thought they could get as UDFAs.

Laquon needs to watch more tape of Cris Carter...because that's who he could be...now I don't expect him to be that, but if he could just be effective on 3rd downs, red zone and on the sideline, I'd be okay with that.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 7:53 AM, SemperFeist said:

He’ll likely never live up to his draft position, but you can see the talent to be a reliable #3 receiver, if not #2 receiver. 

After seeing the posts about Cousins' #3 WR stats, it will be interesting to see if Treadwell could finally live up to his potential. 

Here are Cousins' target shares over 10% in his 3 seasons as starter. Note: Other people attempted passes in his first two seasons. So target share from his passes may not be 100% accurate, but we're only talking about 12 extra passes in 2015 and 1 extra pass in 2016, so it's minimal.

Also keep in mind, Vikings QBs threw 526 passes last year.

2015 (543)
Reed 114 (20.9%) in 14 games
Garcon 111 (20.4%) in 16 games
Crowder 78 (14.4%) in 16 games

2016 (606)
Garcon 114 (18.8%) in 16 games
Jackson 100 (16.5%) in 15 games
Crowder 99 (16.3%) in 16 games (9 starts)
Reed 89 (14.7%) in 12 games

2017 (540)
Crowder 103 (19.1%) in 15 games
Doctson 78 (14.4%) in 16 games
Davis 69 (12.8%) in 16 games
Grant 65 (12.0%) in 16 games (7 starts)
Thompson 54 (10.0%) in 10 games (1 start)

Archived