All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

49 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Here are Cousins' target shares over 10% in his 3 seasons as starter. Note: Other people attempted passes in his first two seasons. So target share from his passes may not be 100% accurate, but we're only talking about 12 extra passes in 2015 and 1 extra pass in 2016, so it's minimal.

Also keep in mind, Vikings QBs threw 526 passes last year.

2015 (543)
Reed 114 (20.9%) in 14 games
Garcon 111 (20.4%) in 16 games
Crowder 78 (14.4%) in 16 games

2016 (606)
Garcon 114 (18.8%) in 16 games
Jackson 100 (16.5%) in 15 games
Crowder 99 (16.3%) in 16 games (9 starts)
Reed 89 (14.7%) in 12 games

2017 (540)
Crowder 103 (19.1%) in 15 games
Doctson 78 (14.4%) in 16 games
Davis 69 (12.8%) in 16 games
Grant 65 (12.0%) in 16 games (7 starts)
Thompson 54 (10.0%) in 10 games (1 start)

so taking out the two games diggs didn't play (week 6 & 7 vs. GB and BAL) and week 1 when bradford started and played the whole game, there were:

- 425 targets

- thielen had 107 targets (25.2%)

- diggs got 87 targets (20.5%)

- rudolph got 62 targets (14.6%)

i didn't include backs because mckinnon's usage changed so much after cook went down and he is gone now, but it seems that we should expect the ball to be spread out a little more with cousins.

of course, thielen and diggs are great at getting open so there might not be a huge difference between their target share in 2018.

John DeFillippo heaped praise on Diggs after the team’s first three Organized Team Activities.

DeFillippo: “More of the tape study of what I had of the Vikings was when I got here, the tape doesn’t do that justice. His ball skills are fantastic. The way he tracks the football in the air.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/27/john-defillippo-has-high-praise-for-stefon-diggs/

17 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What's a good projection for Stefon Diggs stats if both he and Cousins are fully healthy all season long?

ugh, the only stat that matters is how many games we win. and then the post season.

damn fantasy football generation, so preoccupied with stats...

grumble grumble... end of old man rant...

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What's a good projection for Stefon Diggs stats if both he and Cousins are fully healthy all season long?

This is so difficult to project, as is the entire offense.

So many variables.....
-New OC
-New QB
-Newish RB

Where do we look at when projecting? Do we look at what DeFilippo has done in the past? Do we look at what Cousins has done? Do we look at what this team did last year? Is it one of those or a combination of all three?

I'd like to believe Week 1 this past season is the model we're going for. Good running game with pretty good volume (22-127) and an efficient passing game with Thielen (10 targets) and Diggs (8 targets) as the primary targets. A lot of talk that DeFilippo loves his TEs is muddying the water a bit, but he's never had a WR duo like these two. And some fantasy football talking heads have brought up that Cousins doesn't deliver great WR fantasy numbers because he spreads the ball around so much, but that doesn't really take into consideration that his top receiving target most of his Washington tenure was his TE. Could that be the case this year? It's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

Diggs had 95 targets in 14 games last year. I think that's pretty close to the rate he'll get again this year. Thielen will be pretty similar, maybe a bit higher. Rudolph will get around 80 targets again.

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ugh, the only stat that matters is how many games we win. and then the post season.

damn fantasy football generation, so preoccupied with stats...

grumble grumble... end of old man rant...

tumblr_m8lwpncoKt1rxjzkho1_500.gif

The Vikings used the 23rd overall pick on receiver Laquon Treadwell in 2016. He has 21 catches for 215 yards and no touchdowns in two seasons. Tredwell, 22, played 80 offensive snaps and 47 special teams snaps as a rookie and 500 offensive snaps and 46 special teams snaps last season. It seems obviously Treadwell needs to show more, do more and be better in his third season.

Zimmer: “It’s important any time you are in your third year; it’s important. He is continuing to get better. I think he stopped being so hard on himself and is just letting it flow now. I think that is part of it.”

Treadwell: “I think it’s a make-or-break year for everyone, not just myself. A lot of guys speak on it: Every year is a new year. You’ve got to reprove yourself. I just don’t put the pressure on myself as a make-or-break year.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/01/laquon-treadwell-faces-important-season-whether-he-admits-it-or-not/

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't see how year three will be any different for Treadwell than the first two years. He's looking like a bust.

All Treadwell really has to do is build trust and rapport with Cousins. He was open last year, Keenum just hardly pulled the trigger. 

No reason not to give Treadwell the chance to earn his way onto the field in the all important year-3 for wideouts. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't see how year three will be any different for Treadwell than the first two years. He's looking like a bust.

Given the new OC and new QB I see how year three could be different for Treadwell but I wouldn't expect it to be different. I agree that he's looking like a bust. Hope he does something to change that opinion but until he does that I wouldn't be counting on him for anything.

It will be tough for Treadwell to carve out a niche in the passing game I think. With 2 WR's ahead of him that are such reliable contested throw receivers and consistently get open his role would be best served as the go get it guy in the red zone. However, we have Rudolph in that role. I hope he gets some opportunities, but I think throws to the backs and Kendall Wright could cut into his targets as well. At least he can be used as a blocker and a special teamer,  otherwise he would never see the field at all.

I don’t think it’s about a specific number, it’s about how well he plays in his role, how reliable he is, and if he can make plays with his opportunities. 

Treadwell saw the field more last year, and he got open quite a bit, but he also didn’t capitalize on enough of his opportunities, however few they may have been. 

Archived