Klomp

All abouts the wideouts

Another ridiculous Diggs route-running gif was making the rounds yesterday. Man we have such good route-runners!

On 6/9/2018 at 12:29 AM, y*so*blu said:

As a former fry cook at McDonald's, I can vouch for this. xD

I would love to see Treadwell really capitalize on all this talent I've heard so much about. There are so many hot prospects in this league who just fade away and are trivia questions five years later. I don't want to see that happen to him.

I was pretty hard on myself...and I made it to 1st assistant manager.  I was only a fry cook for about a week. :D  

It's not simply about being hard on yourself, it's about how you deal with it.  Him being hard on himself appears to lead to anxiety for him, which can have a negative effect on his play.  So, in his case, he just needs to learn to let it go once he's on the field and not be hard on himself while he's on the field.  

Posted (edited)

Either Zylstra or Robertson probably sticks on the 53. The Vikings will want a backup for Treadwell as the split end / X receiver, and those two WRs were rotating with Treadwell in at least one drill today: 

Other depth WR options probably don't project to the X spot. IIRC Cayleb Jones played flanker in preseason last year, and of course he'll be suspended for the first 4 games. Tavarres King is a flanker. Coley is a slot/flanker. Badet is a slot/flanker.

Maybe Wienecke could play split end but I'm not high on his chances anyway (Wolfson was saying on Andy Carlson's show that the Vikings were his only offer as a UDFA). I'm also not expecting Beebe to have a real chance given 4.7 speed at 5'9" 178 pounds.

By position I think it's: 

• X / split end: Treadwell plus either Zylstra or Robertson
  • Z / flanker: Diggs plus one of King, Coley or Badet
  • slot: Thielen, Wright

That's leaving Cayleb Jones out of the picture and expecting Wienecke to be cut. 

Edited by Krauser

I think that's a pretty good assessment

Treadwell/Zylstra
Diggs/Coley
Thielen/Wright

Those are my 6 going into camp, with Badet and Wieneke on practice squad

Zylstra's CFL highlights are hard to project to the NFL, but he does a lot of good WR stuff like running routes at full speed, making sharp breaks, tracking passes over his head, adjusting to make catches out of his frame, and competing hard for YAC. A lot more and better bread-and-butter-stuff here than Duron Carter when he came down: 

What translates more easily is his work ethic. The CFL feature video on Zylstra's route to pro football is pretty incredible:

If he ever makes it to the starting lineup across from Thielen (another local kid, no one gave him a chance, etc), the announcers will be able to talk about literally nothing else. 

Zylstra came from a smaller town than Thielen (1,198 vs. 9,165) and graduated from a smaller college (D3 Concordia Moorhead vs. D2 MSU Mankato), just to add another layer to the improbability of it.

Fun fact: Zylstra was originally signed by Augustana, and was in the same recruiting class as CJ Ham.

So let's say that Zylstra makes the 53 and becomes a top flight #3 WR, when do NFL teams start sending their scouts to small Minnesota colleges? xD

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So let's say that Zylstra makes the 53 and becomes a top flight #3 WR, when do NFL teams start sending their scouts to small Minnesota colleges? xD

Still before the Gophers...

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

D3 Concordia Moorhead

Cobbers in the house!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Cobbers in the house!

Indeed. It would be great to see more Cobbers on the Vikings. Perhaps this is why I am pulling for Zylstra. The Cobbers haven't had a player on the Vikings since Gary Larsen's purple people eating days. It would be great to see Zylstra become the third Cobber to make the Vikings roster.

Edited by Cearbhall

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

:) I am a Cobber alumni.

As am I, I played ball from 08-12 so I never knew or played with Brandon. It would be awesome if he makes it indeed!

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Still before the Gophers...

Ouch.

That could be changing soon....