All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Brandin Cooks got an extension ... should be interesting what the numbers looks like.

Five years, 80 million. Don't know what the guarantees are, but Cooks is a lot more accomplished than Diggs. I would think a Diggs contract would have to come in a little lower. 

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m still guessing that Diggs signs an extension similar to Jarvis Landry’s deal. 

Agreed.  It's probably going to have to come in somewhere around $15M per year with maybe an out after 2-3 years (especially with Thielen probably needing to have his contract torn up after this year and re-worked)

• 2 weeks later...

Receiver Stacy Coley is practicing on a limited basis while easing back in from a right heel injury that ended his spring. Coley, a 2017 seventh-round pick, impressed Vikings coaches while working with Kirk Cousins and the first-team offense during OTAs before his injury. After rehabbing with fellow south Florida product Dalvin Cook at a local Fort Lauderdale training facility, Coley practiced Thursday with tape still supporting his right heel. He had 10 catches for 165 yards last preseason, and said he’s “getting the feeling back and (getting) used to cutting and planting.”

Coley: “It felt good just being out there and competing. Getting used to Kirk’s voice, hearing the plays — it felt good. I’m real comfortable now, I’m just ready to go out there and play.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cornerback-mike-hughes-learning-fast-nfl-playbooks-aren-t-the-ones-he-saw-in-college/489288411/

Beyond starting positions set aside for star receivers Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen and a role for 2016 first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, who has been running with the first team throughout OTAs, minicamp and the beginning of camp, no other job is locked in.

Receivers Brandon Zylstra — a CFL standout in 2017, veteran Tavarres King and ’17 practice squad’er Cayleb Jones have seen a handful of first-team reps in the first few practices. Kendall Wright, who have 59 catches for Chicago last year, has exclusively been with the second team. Chad Beebe, Korey Robertson and Jake Wieneke have mostly worked with quarterback Kyle Sloter and the third grouping. Stacy Coley is battling a groin injury.

With so many contenders, every practice is crucial — and not always in the way that you might think. Great catches will be rewarded, but the deciding factor might end up having little to do with how they mesh with the Vikings’ QBs. Neither veteran player the Vikings brought in as a free agent has special teams experience. Wright and King combined for a total of two special teams snaps. That means they would have to either learn fast or prove themselves as worthy weapons.

Zimmer: “One of the big things is special teams. Diggs and Thielen are going to be in there all the time, so who we dress on Sunday will be determined a lot by who can play special teams because I’m not going to have guys standing on the sideline that can’t play special teams.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/tight-receiver-battle-special-teams-will-make-difference/

I'm pleased that Treadwell looks to have a lock on that #3 WR role.
I always looked at Wright at #4, but a good #4 WR

Its hard to make an argument against Vikings not having a top 5 overall offensive skills positions crew with Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Cook, Murray, Rudolph.

I think we can be one of the most efficient offenses in terms of points/offensive possession

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Zimmer: “One of the big things is special teams. Diggs and Thielen are going to be in there all the time, so who we dress on Sunday will be determined a lot by who can play special teams because I’m not going to have guys standing on the sideline that can’t play special teams.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/tight-receiver-battle-special-teams-will-make-difference/

I love Zim

I think it's great that Cousins and Treadwell are developing chemistry.  Should be a break out year for Treadwell...hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Should be a break out year for Treadwell...hopefully.

Would add yet another threat to an already potent offense. I'm glad to hear he is having a great camp but I want to see it during the games when it counts, I'm cheering for him.

catching 4 our of the 6 Redzone touchdowns probably does make an OC proud. 

It would be huge to see him work out on the outside along side Diggs and have Thielen do Thielen things in the slot. 

Would give me much more confidence in being able to drop Wrights contract and give the spots to Badet/Zylstra/Wieneke/Robertson/Coley/King/Jones....

gosh we could sure have a fun offense, hopefully our offensive line just holds up and continues to improve. 

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

catching 4 our of the 6 Redzone touchdowns probably does make an OC proud

And one of which was against Rhodes. It’s nice to see Treadwell win some reps against the #1 defense in the league. 

It’s a lot better than hearing the praise that we did last year surrounding Michael Floyd. Always hearing about his great contested catches, only to find out they were against guys who didn’t even make the team. 

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Would give me much more confidence in being able to drop Wrights contract and give the spots to Badet/Zylstra/Wieneke/Robertson/Coley/King/Jones....

I think we need to consider this as a real possibility.

I'm sure folks would be worried/concerned about only having three (some would say 2.5) WRs with true NFL experience, but I think there's a lot of talented depth here. I don't believe Wright has ever played ST, and we already know Zimmer's feelings about depth guys who don't play on those units.

Archived