All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

I thought it was interesting when Flip was on with PA, Charch asked him "is slot WR a position battle or is that Kendall's job", to which Flip responded "well Adam's done a great job in there." He did say they need to find another guy, but added they're going to test some things out (including Treadwell in the slot). Doesn't exactly sound like high praise for the guy. Add in special teams inflexibility, and I just wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the team. Even if he does, I'm not sure how often he's active on game days.

Still can’t imagine they go into the season with Treadwell the 3rd most experienced WR on the team. 

Kendall Wright doesn’t have much to prove. He’s an NFL WR, and he hasn’t turned 29 yet. He’s no worse than the WR4 on this team, WR3 if Treadwell’s apparent improvement so far this offseason doesn’t carry through to the real games this fall.

Tavarres King is 28, same age as Wright (half a year younger, technically), but has the same number of career receptions as Treadwell (one more, technically). That’s not a good combination. I’m not going to put him on the team over a developmental late round pick like Coley (who can also play outside) just because he beat Jayron Kearse in training camp before the pads came on. If he was going to beat out Kendall Wright, he might have already put up more than 303 career yards (well under Wright’s career single season low, and less than 10% of his career total). 

I agree with those that think Wright makes the team. It may be the 4th WR  or 3rd Wr. It’s really too early to tell. I would like to see Treadwell carry the momentum through the preseason. At this point (4 days into training camp), Treadwell is no guarantee to become the 3rd WR, imo.

A first-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the 23-year-old Treadwell hasn’t lived up to his billing, barely playing as a rookie and catching 20 passes for 200 yards last season. That lack of production has weighed on Treadwell, entering the third year of a rookie contract paying a guaranteed $9.6 million. Treadwell said the biggest factor in his improvement has been cleaning up what he called “off-the-field issues” that had been following him since he arrived from the University of Mississippi. Treadwell declined to elaborate, saying only that he needed “better people around me.”

Treadwell: “You have all these goals, and when you fall short, you kind of stress yourself out. Sometimes it takes time. Now I feel like I’m coming into my role. I just want to relax and have fun. That’s the biggest thing for me.”

DeFilippo: “I’m really proud of him. He has worked his butt off to really improve. I think from what I’ve heard, he has matured. You see a young man having some success and not letting that success go to his head. We are going to continually challenge him every single day to stay mentally focused. He can do that. There is no doubt in my mind he can do that. I’m really happy where he is right now.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/01/with-off-the-field-issues-in-order-vikings-wr-laquon-treadwell-poised-to-break-out/

On 7/31/2018 at 7:19 PM, Krauser said:

Still can’t imagine they go into the season with Treadwell the 3rd most experienced WR on the team. 

Kendall Wright doesn’t have much to prove. He’s an NFL WR, and he hasn’t turned 29 yet. He’s no worse than the WR4 on this team, WR3 if Treadwell’s apparent improvement so far this offseason doesn’t carry through to the real games this fall.

Tavarres King is 28, same age as Wright (half a year younger, technically), but has the same number of career receptions as Treadwell (one more, technically). That’s not a good combination. I’m not going to put him on the team over a developmental late round pick like Coley (who can also play outside) just because he beat Jayron Kearse in training camp before the pads came on. If he was going to beat out Kendall Wright, he might have already put up more than 303 career yards (well under Wright’s career single season low, and less than 10% of his career total). 

I agree with this, hard to imagine we go into a season forcing one of these udfa/late round picks to be basically a starter if Diggs and Thielen go down. Thinking about it i dang near see no way Wright will be gone. He has the ability to play in the slot or outside. None of these guys really have that kind of ability or even experience. 

Laquon Treadwell was the star of the show at a recent practice, hauling in four touchdowns from quarterback Kirk Cousins in a six-play span inside the red zone.

The Vikings wide receiver is hoping his performance in training camp so far can translate over to the regular season.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-treadwell-turning-heads-in-training-camp

Thielen’s agent could potentially approach the Vikings about a new deal following this season. Last year Thielen racked up 91 receptions. Now with the price set by Diggs, who had 64 catches last year, there would be a strong case for re-working his contract rather than letting it play out through 2020.

Thielen:  "For me I’m worried about football, I’m worried about coming out here and practicing and grinding every single day, that’s why I pay an agent, that’s why I have an agent, he takes care of that stuff so I don’t have to worry about it. When I signed my contract before last season, that’s why I did it, I didn’t want to have to worry about money, I didn’t want to have to worry about my contract.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/08/thielen-contract-im-worried-football/

33 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Thielen’s agent could potentially approach the Vikings about a new deal following this season. Last year Thielen racked up 91 receptions. Now with the price set by Diggs, who had 64 catches last year, there would be a strong case for re-working his contract rather than letting it play out through 2020.

Thielen:  "For me I’m worried about football, I’m worried about coming out here and practicing and grinding every single day, that’s why I pay an agent, that’s why I have an agent, he takes care of that stuff so I don’t have to worry about it. When I signed my contract before last season, that’s why I did it, I didn’t want to have to worry about money, I didn’t want to have to worry about my contract.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/08/thielen-contract-im-worried-football/

For Diggs, they're trying to frame him here like he had a bad season. He didn't.

Archived