All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

Thielen is one of the best valued players on non rookie deals in the league. He deserves a pay raise but timing wasn't ideal for him. Thielen could have bet on himself and held out for a bigger deal, but he wanted the best he could get after his one solid season. No one (not even Thielen) saw last year happening.

Brandon Zylstra found his rhythm Saturday night, and the native of Spicer, Minnesota, made three consecutive catches from Trevor Siemian, including an impressive one-handed grab along the left sideline.

Diggs: “I said the young guys are making some plays, and that’s exactly who I was talking about. Just as far as showing consistency, getting better, committed to learning new things and taking it day by day. So I like him.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/cousins-diggs-offer-takes-after-vikings-night-practice?sf194948956=1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Brandon Zylstra found his rhythm Saturday night, and the native of Spicer, Minnesota, made three consecutive catches from Trevor Siemian, including an impressive one-handed grab along the left sideline.

Diggs: “I said the young guys are making some plays, and that’s exactly who I was talking about. Just as far as showing consistency, getting better, committed to learning new things and taking it day by day. So I like him.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/cousins-diggs-offer-takes-after-vikings-night-practice?sf194948956=1

Stefon Diggs: born November 29, 1993
Brandon Zylstra: born March 25, 1993

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

it's weird seeing Zylstra as a 25 year old rookie, but then he did play for the CFL.

It'd be great if he could earn the #5/#6 spot WR spot on the roster. 

His size and playstyle is similar to Theilen so I could see him as his primary back up and potentially as high as 4th on the depth chart. He is outplaying the other fringe WR from all reports.

One of the workouts Zylstra attended was the Pro Day for Carson Wentz, which took place at the Fargodome. The Minnesota Vikings’ scouts were in attendance and took a liking to Zylstra.

After his college career ended, Zylstra hooked back up with Griffin Neal, who was back from Germany. The two set off for Scottsdale, Arizona. They moved in with Neal’s grandmother, and began working out with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Quarterback Rudy Carpenter. It was during this time that teams from the Canadian Football League became interested in Zylstra, who eventually signed a two-year contract with the Edmonton Eskimos. Neal, by the way, was signed by the New Orleans Saints and spent the 2016 season on their practice squad.

Zylstra’s contract with the Eskimos, however, prevented him from participating in a workout that the Vikings had requested after the 2016 draft, and he began his career in Edmonton. In 2016, his first season with the Eskimos, Zylstra caught 34 passes for over 500 yards and three touchdowns, and was named the Edmonton Eskimos’ Rookie of the Year. In his second year in Edmonton, he put up numbers that made not only the Minnesota Vikings, but several other NFL teams sit up and take notes. He caught 100 passes for 1,687 yards and 5 touchdowns, and was named a 2017 CFL All-Star for his efforts. Zylstra’s agent, Blake Baratz - who also represents Thielen, by the way - began setting up workouts for NFL teams, including the Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, and the New York Jets.

Zylstra eventually chose to pursue his dream with the Minnesota Vikings, signing a Reserve/Futures contract with the team on January 3, 2018.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/8/7/17659472/brandon-zylstra-long-road-may-lead-to-a-spot-on-the-vikings-roster

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about the position group, one guy I don't think has gotten much attention is Chad Beebe. 

He's got slot ability, and something to remember when talking about depth receivers is he's a pretty good special teamer. He's been decent in camp so far, performed well in first exhibition game, and now has been making plays in joint practices.

I know it's hardly against first-teamers, but it's something to monitor....

I just look at the rest of the receivers, and none of them competing look like guys we can say we can definitely count on to be a quality special teamer. I'd feel comfortable saying that about Chad, though. And extra ST help never hurts, especially if Sherels does end up on the roster bubble.

• 2 weeks later...

Cornerback Xavier Rhodes turned to Sunday’s practice official, his palms to the sky, wondering how receiver Laquon Treadwell didn’t get called for offensive pass interference. No dice. Treadwell caught the deep ball over Rhodes from Cousins, showing another glimpse of the third-year receiver’s progression in the Vikings offense.

Rhodes:  “It was a nice pass, nice catch. He’s coming around from his rookie year to now, running great routes coming out of his breaks.”

http://www.startribune.com/zimmer-doesn-t-expect-elflein-to-start-season-on-pup-list/491752961/

Archived