All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

Just wanted to provide a status update that @Cearbhall was right (and needed to PM me to let me know). Treadwell's inability to gain separation, that should have got him cut, allowed him to get open enough to drop all of those balls - validating his take that his lack of speed makes him expendable. 

I was wrong and wanted to own it publicly.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Just wanted to provide a status update that @Cearbhall was right (and needed to PM me to let me know). Treadwell's inability to gain separation, that should have got him cut, allowed him to get open enough to drop all of those balls - validating his take that his lack of speed makes him expendable. 

I was wrong and wanted to own it publicly.

Well shoot. I didn't want to call your replies out publicly so sent a private message on the topic. I didn't feel further statements were required in the public board as things that have happened speak for themselves.  However, I do need to reply now to defend myself from the your false suggestions of what I said.

I never said that Treadwell should be cut. I said that if he was an UDFA he would have been cut. With the guaranteed contract the team would rather not deal with the dead money. I said this however: "The margin for being a successful WR in this league at that speed is razor thin. It takes being very good at everything else to compensate." That is not the same as saying his lack of speed makes him expendable. He is not good enough at everything else to compensate for his lack of speed. Those things coupled together are what I feel makes him unworthy of a roster, if not for the guaranteed contract.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Who's the best free agent WR out there that could take Treadwells role as a possession boundary receiver. Seems pointless to give him a roster spot.

Dez Bryant/kind of Josh Gordon.

I don't think the importance the of 3rd WR on the team can be overstated. Cousins has been a guy that's always distributed the ball around a lot. Despite having 2 WRs above 1000 yards in 2016, Jamison Crowder (the 3rd WR) actually led the team in TDs and had a similar target share as both Pierre Garcon and Desean Jackson.

Archived