All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

On 9/19/2018 at 8:09 PM, SemperFeist said:

Every offense needs the next Randy Moss. ?

But to your point, I will still disagree. A true vertical threat (ala DeSean Jackson, Marquise Goodwin, Will Fuller type) would be the perfect compliment as WR3 to Diggs and Thielen.

I expect us to draft that player this next draft. Treadwell will be on his last year of his deal and Zylstra hasn't shown anything. Robinson is a rental player.

FOX Sports published an Associated Press article by Dave Campbell about Vikings Offensive Coordinator John DeFilippo’s response to Treadwell’s afternoon and emphasis on moving forward. Treadwell struggled in the Vikings’ tie with Green Bay on Sunday, catching just two of the six passes thrown his way for 23 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, a fourth-quarter pass intended for Treadwell was intercepted by Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Campbell quoted DeFilippo, who told media members Thursday that he told Treadwell to “pick his head up.”

DeFilippo: “He has bought in to having short-term memory. Are we happy with what happened with the drop and the interception and those things? No. That can’t happen. The whole world knows that can’t happen. At the same time, the kid did some really good things in the game on Sunday.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-espn-delves-into-cousins-td-pass-to-thielen?sf198166250=1

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't really thought about the rarity of having two standout WRs playing at such a high level.....but it really is true. Historically, there aren't a ton of combos like that. I'd probably put our duo up there with combos like Harrison/Wayne and Bruce/Holt.....and even close to Carter/Moss. The great thing too is how many more years these guys could have together here. I honestly can't see either guy going anywhere. We won't let either guy go, and I'm honestly not even concerned about it because of the guys in our front office.

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. I think we're seeing the last of players like Remmers and Sendejo. We will have no choice to make moves such as that and I'd really like to bring Richardson back too. 

I know it's early to speculate, but any hope that Cousins might restructure??

And it helped, too, once he got to college that he was finally focusing on one sport. In high school, Thielen played varsity football, basketball, baseball, and golf. He was the kind of kid, Herzog said, who had a new favorite sport each season. When he was playing golf, he wanted to be at the driving range every day. During baseball season, he wanted to be in the batting cage every day.

“I think that’s why he got so much better when he went to college,” Herzog said. “It was the first time he just focused only on football and working out. In the offseason from football in high school, he didn’t have the chance to workout a ton and focus on football.”

Herzog went to a game in Mankato Thielen’s sophomore year and remembers seeing his friend rack up yards after the catch, a far cry from what he did in high school.

“We’d make fun of him because he’d catch the ball and fall down every time,” Herzog said. “And then when he got to college, he started to get some yards after the catch and we were like, ‘Wow, he’s really developed.’ And now he’s doing that in the NFL, which is crazy.”

For his part, Thielen verified his early troubles staying upright.

“That was my thing all the way through college even into my first couple years in the NFL,” Thielen said Thursday. “I was always diving or falling when I caught the ball.”

https://theathletic.com/583251/2018/10/11/adam-thielen-detroit-lakes-vikings-wide-receiver-mankato/

Archived