All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

The Vikings were fortunate to sneak Chad Beebe onto the practice squad, from where he was promoted this weekend while star receiver Stefon Diggs was unable to play due to a rib injury. The Lions overlooked Beebe initially. Receiver Adam Thielen, seeking his NFL-record ninth straight 100-yard receiving game, was doubled throughout much of Sunday while being held to just four catches for 22 yards and a touchdown. But quarterback Kirk Cousins found another easy target in Beebe, who beat man-to-man coverage for consecutive catches on the first drive.

Beebe’s first NFL catch drew a roar from the U.S. Bank Stadium crowd otherwise unjustified of a 2-yard grab. His second NFL catch was worthy of the applause. Beebe crossed the field, showing off the short-area quickness to lose his defender for a 13-yard catch and run on fourth-and-2. Three plays later, running back Latavius Murray ran for a goal-line touchdown.

The Lions took quick notice, according to Cousins, who said Detroit started to double Beebe in the second half. A third-and-6 incompletion on a deep shot to Aldrick Robinson stood out to Cousins.

Cousins: “On the deep ball to Aldrick, they doubled Beebe and Adam. That was a recognition at halftime from their side. I think Chad is a great asset for us as we look to the second half of the season.”

http://www.startribune.com/chad-beebe-makes-nfl-debut-for-vikings-with-three-catches/499579671/

The Lions did one thing right Sunday. They might have surrendered 10 sacks and lost to the Vikings 24-9 at U.S. Bank Stadium, but they helped preserve the honor of former Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson. Vikings receiver Adam Thielen already has broken the NFL record for most games in triple-digit receiving yards to start a season at eight; on Sunday he had a chance to move past Johnson for most consecutive games, period. He could have had both records all to himself, but the Lions held the NFL’s leading receiver to four catches for 22 yards. So, Johnson, known as Megatron for his 6-foot-5, 238-pound frame and strong hands, remains atop the NFL list with Thielen.

No matter, said Thielen, who started Sunday with league-highs of 74 receptions and 925 receiving yards

Thielen: “This feels a lot better than any record — a win, at home, in our division.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/04/lions-stop-adam-thielen-from-breaking-megatrons-nfl-record/

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I wonder if a WR will be released to make room for Beebe, I'd guess that it would have to be Zylstra. It's crowded as it is.

Or perhaps someone like Roc Thomas is waived to make room for a 6th WR.

Beebe's already on the 53-man roster, they don't have to make room for him, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.  They've had 6 WRs on the roster before and were fine.  

Don Beebe, saying it’s a different experience being in the stands for a game: “Normally, I’m pretty nervous before games because when I played, I could control it, but as a dad, I can’t. But this game, I just felt calm. I knew he was ready and knew that they had some plays designed for him on third down. He’s waited a long time for it.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-breer-highlights-vikings-defense-after-defeat-of-detroit?sf201591833=1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Beebe's already on the 53-man roster, they don't have to make room for him, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.  They've had 6 WRs on the roster before and were fine.  

Just have to see what happens with Morgan. May very well be a need for a blocking TE. Hopefully that injury isn't serious.

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Looks like he's starting RT now. Or did I miss something about Hill being out

No, you haven't missed anything.  But, vr did talk about the need for a blocking TE.  I just stated that O'Neill can fill that job, if it's actually needed...or potentially, they could certainly use Linval.  :D

Archived