All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I expect the Vikings to draft someone with very good deep speed. 

We really don’t have anyone who can take the top off the defense. 

Also, if one of Thielen or Diggs is out for several games, and Treadwell doesn't step up, we need another fill-in (and a regular slot receiver).  I think The Vikes will sign a mid-quality FA AND draft a development rookie, as well (somewhere between Rounds 3-7).

Our depth is the reason why I want Diggs to get an extension ahead of any of the defensive guys. I'm probably in the minority.

If Diggs leaves, we're going to probably have Thielen, Treadwell, maybe a rookie, then Coley. Then you also have an older Rudolph and maybe a rookie TE.

You don't find top-10 receivers too often so I think it would be hard to replace Diggs.

That's a huge drop off in talent for our fully guaranteed QB. I think our defense is set to the point where losing a Barr, Kendricks, Hunter will be less of a set back than going from Diggs to Treadwell and/or a rookie.

41 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Our depth is the reason why I want Diggs to get an extension ahead of any of the defensive guys

20 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

I’m right there with you on Diggs. 

If it is a minority, I am part of this minority too. If I could only keep one of Diggs, Richardson, Kendricks, Barr, Waynes, and Hunter I would choose Diggs.  Thankfully, the team should be able to easily keep at least three of the bunch; losing all four of the others would stink pretty bad.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If I could only keep one of Diggs, Richardson, Kendricks, Barr, Waynes, and Hunter I would choose Diggs.  Thankfully, the team should be able to easily keep at least three of the bunch; losing all four of the others would stink pretty bad.

I would probably put Diggs second, only behind Richardson. We will likely keep Hunter and one of the LBs, but I don't know which one.

I think if they give Diggs an extension, Thielen will be wanting a new deal in short order. I think this team wins with defense, and tying up a ton of money in the receivers will prevent them from keeping the defense intact. I agree that they need to sign Diggs this offseason to maintain any leverage that they might have given his raw numbers and health relative to others that are signing big contracts.

Jarius Wright said Saturday the door isn’t closed on a return to the Vikings. The 28-year-old receiver was released Friday so the Vikings could carve out more salary-cap room for free-agent signings. He had two years left on his contract.

Wright:  “It’s not out of the question. But it’s the NFL. We’ll have to see what happens. It wasn’t a big surprise, they had come to me and let me know that it was a possibly with some of the contracts they were looking at. They kept me updated. But I love Minnesota. I would love to come back, so you just never know what will happen.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/17/jarius-wright-says-theres-a-chance-he-could-re-sign-with-vikings-at-lower-salary/

@SteelKing728

It’s a good thing for the Vikings that they signed Pro Bowl wide receiver Adam Thielen a year ago to a three-year, $17 million contract. Based on a half-dozen eye-popping free agent wideout signings last week, had Thielen, 27, been a free agent this year, he probably could have gotten close to a $60 million, four-year deal.

If Thielen has another Pro Bowl season this year, he probably could negotiate a new deal. The Detroit Lakes native can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/17/charley-walters-vikings-rick-spielman-gambling-big-on-kirk-cousins/

14 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Who would you be more willing to let walk (if you had to)

Thielen or Diggs?

Thielen is more consistent and doesn't get dinged up as much as Diggs.

Diggs has more big play ability (its close though)and he's younger.

That's tough.

Archived