Blount to Detroit Lions, 1yr/2mil

DeJack_10

Prob didn’t deserve a thread, will leave that to mods.

Anyway, personally I have always been Team Blount going back to his Oregon days. The fact he became an Eagle and helping bring a championship here will be set in stone forever.  Wish him all the best.

50 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Wish him well, helped us this year good deal

Forgot about some of his runs from earlier in the year

I was there for that 68 yarder vs chargers in week 4. Nasty stiff arm on that one.

Blount helped to bring the Lombardi home, he’ll always be remembered. Crazy to think Dougie gave him 0 carries in week 2, and he’s scoring a TD in SB 52 by end of season. 

Was critical to the offense early in the year. As much as we wanted him closing games, he really set the tone of a lot of games early. Came through a lot during the year and big in the super bowl. Couldn't ask for anything more out of him. Especially for what Howie signed him for. And most importantly, proved @BLick12 wrong. ?

12 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

plus i honestly felt corey clement deserved all of his snaps. So dont really care he's gone at all. 

Disrespecting him a little bit. Clement isn't an early down running back. He certainly has his place but they used Blount and the RB crew appropriately. 

I agree we won't miss him but he was necessary last year and I'm glad we had an experienced veteran to tote the ball before that Ajayi trade. 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:45 AM, Jroc04 said:

Was critical to the offense early in the year. As much as we wanted him closing games, he really set the tone of a lot of games early. Came through a lot during the year and big in the super bowl. Couldn't ask for anything more out of him. Especially for what Howie signed him for. And most importantly, proved @BLick12 wrong. ?

I'd hardly call him critical in any sense, but he had a few nice games and runs during the season, especially the San Diego game. 

But given the o-line he was playing behind and the fact Ajayi came in and averaged over 5 YPC behind the same line minus Peters.  I'd say the opportunity cost of playing Blount generally outweighed the few positives he brought. 

But by all accounts he was definitely a good team guy this season and someone that brought a lot of good vibes to the position group.

19 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I'd hardly call him critical in any sense, but he had a few nice games and runs during the season, especially the San Diego game. 

But given the o-line he was playing behind and the fact Ajayi came in and averaged over 5 YPC behind the same line minus Peters.  I'd say the opportunity cost of playing Blount generally outweighed the few positives he brought. 

But by all accounts he was definitely a good team guy this season and someone that brought a lot of good vibes to the position group.

I figured you wouldn't give the guy much credit.

He was critical to the point that we didn't have anyone reliable to consistently run the ball. And he did it about as good as you'd expect. Without him, then who? That makes him pretty critical. 

Ajayi was of course brought in to limit Blount, but we already knew he's not a 250 carry guy. He was never supposed to be. But even though, as you said, Ajayi enjoyed mostly success, the team continued to give Blount carries. Why?

He was more than just a good rah-rah lockeroom guy to your slight. He played a pivotal role throughout the year on the field. If you didn't see the value in him then either you're too proud or didn't watch enough. 

If I told you he'd have 800 total yards and average 4.4 per carry, before we signed him, you would have been completely fine with him. Especially at that minuscule contract. His value to dollar ratio was fantastic. There's no argument there. 

16 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I figured you wouldn't give the guy much credit.

He was critical to the point that we didn't have anyone reliable to consistently run the ball. And he did it about as good as you'd expect. Without him, then who? That makes him pretty critical. 

Ajayi was of course brought in to limit Blount, but we already knew he's not a 250 carry guy. He was never supposed to be. But even though, as you said, Ajayi enjoyed mostly success, the team continued to give Blount carries. Why?

He was more than just a good rah-rah lockeroom guy to your slight. He played a pivotal role throughout the year on the field. If you didn't see the value in him then either you're too proud or didn't watch enough. 

If I told you he'd have 800 total yards and average 4.4 per carry, before we signed him, you would have been completely fine with him. Especially at that minuscule contract. His value to dollar ratio was fantastic. There's no argument there. 

I'm not arguing that his production value was solid, but I think you're way overblowing it by saying he played a critical role in our offense.  I also think you're not accounting for the opportunity cost in giving him more snaps.  If we're talking about optimizing the Eagles offense, we would be far better served with guys like Ajayi and Clement getting more snaps.  

Also, if I recall, one of your biggest arguments in favor of him was that he scores TDs. He scored 2 and was by all accounts pretty bad in the red zone for us this year. 

If I told you that a UDFA like Corey Clement averaged 4.4 YPC, more TDs and was an actual receiving threat, combined with Ajayi averaging 5+ YPC behind the same o-line... why would you want Blount on any deal?  I can't explain why the Eagles decided he should continue to get carries, I think just about everyone on this board felt  that Ajayi deserved way more work especially given his production.  There's always some value in having fresh legs at the position and he definitely had a few exciting runs this year, but candidly, I'm more excited about our offense next year now having a few versatile backs in his place.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:48 PM, DeJack_10 said:

Prob didn’t deserve a thread, will leave that to mods.

Anyway, personally I have always been Team Blount going back to his Oregon days. The fact he became an Eagle and helping bring a championship here will be set in stone forever.  Wish him all the best.

Mocked him to us in the 4th round way back in the day.

1 hour ago, BLick12 said:

I'm not arguing that his production value was solid, but I think you're way overblowing it by saying he played a critical role in our offense.  I also think you're not accounting for the opportunity cost in giving him more snaps.  If we're talking about optimizing the Eagles offense, we would be far better served with guys like Ajayi and Clement getting more snaps.  

Also, if I recall, one of your biggest arguments in favor of him was that he scores TDs. He scored 2 and was by all accounts pretty bad in the red zone for us this year. 

If I told you that a UDFA like Corey Clement averaged 4.4 YPC, more TDs and was an actual receiving threat, combined with Ajayi averaging 5+ YPC behind the same o-line... why would you want Blount on any deal?  I can't explain why the Eagles decided he should continue to get carries, I think just about everyone on this board felt  that Ajayi deserved way more work especially given his production.  There's always some value in having fresh legs at the position and he definitely had a few exciting runs this year, but candidly, I'm more excited about our offense next year now having a few versatile backs in his place.

When we lost Sproles, had we not been able to lean on Blount, it may have turned out pretty bad. I'd say that's critical. It would have been Smallwood carrying the ball 20 times. No thanks. There was no Ajayi until November. And even then they were a top ranked rush offense. How optimal would you like them to be? They won a super bowl and were ranked 5th in rushing before the trade. 

Yes, I did say as a power back, some of his value would be RZ and goal line. Especially when our RZ was so bad the previous year. Giving him scoring 18 (?) the year previous, one would assume he'd get 8-10 possibly. You saying he was bad just because he only had 2 is not telling the whole story. Wentz was automatic in the RZ. We barely needed the run game close to the end zone. They were already unstoppable there. They were the 2nd best RZ team in conversion rate. And I'm sure at least some of that had to do with the threat or play actions to Blount. If anywhere, defenses need to be aware of him on short yardage situations. 

While I agree that a combination of Ajayi and Clement this year is far more exciting,  neither could have been counted on going into last year. There was no Ajayi option at the time and Clement rushed up the depth chart after the Sproles injury and Smallwood falling out of favor. The idea of them in hindsight validates your point. But unless you had a crystal ball, theres no way you could have predicted that. In reality, not signing Blount would have left us extremely thin. And given that he performed well was just more proof that it was a good move. 

Archived