Texans sign S Tyrann Mathieu

Longhorns90

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

Good pickup by the Texans. 

They needed help badly in the secondary. Tyrann and Colvin are good additions.

They still need a O-Line and I think that will hold them back.

Titans and Jags still 1/2 in the division.

If Watson and Watt come back and stay healthy, I could  absolutely see them being better than the Titans.

Interested in seeing the money. 

I know Tyrann wasn’t available when the Saints signed (and probably overpaid) Kurt Coleman and Patrick Robinson was a nice consolation prize at $5m per year but Tyrann going back to Louisiana would’ve been awesome and made for a pretty rowdy dome.

If we miss out on Suh (no news isn’t good news from the Saints FO) and didn’t even try to sign Tyrann or re-sign Vaccaro I’ll be a little disappointed.

Side note... nobody has shown any real interest in Vaccaro which is odd. He’s shown a ton of flashes and I’m sure a lot of coaches think they could turn him around. He’s clearly a talented player, just tough to get consistency from..

Wonder if he failed another drug test and were yet to hear about it. I think that would be a 10 game ban for him IIRC

8 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If Watson and Watt come back and stay healthy, I could  absolutely see them being better than the Titans.

Very possible. I also think they play the Browns/Broncos when the Titans play Ravens/Chargers? and the Jags play Steelers/Chiefs.

The AFC South will be fun to watch. 

37 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

$7M? That's it? Ridiculous.

On the surface, yes.  But man, he looks like he's lost his special burst and short-area quickness.   If you looked only at 2017 film, you see a slot-only guy (or FS, but not both - has to stay in 1 role and stick with it) who's OK, but not great.  And because it's his 2nd ACL (albeit on both knees 1x, not same knee 2x), that's worrisome - but even more so, because in 2017, he was 18+ months from ACL surgery - and while you can look like you've lost some of that in the 12-18 month window, you should be at full return of function by 18+ months.   So it's not like 2018 should have more recovery.

Honestly, for who he is now, 7M is about right.  In this expensive market, it's a slight value, but it's not nearly the discount his name value would suggest.   Still, given who's left, it's a good move by HOU - even no longer the elite difference-maker that he is, he'll still help that HOU secondary.   Just don't expect the old Honey Badger to return to form.

22 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Good pickup by the Texans. 

They needed help badly in the secondary. Tyrann and Colvin are good additions.

They still need a O-Line and I think that will hold them back.

Titans and Jags still 1/2 in the division.

In that order;)

This is nice pick up for the Texans. They need as much help in the secondary and on their OL as they can get.

Archived