Tyrann Mathieu to Houston

amazingandre

Not gonna lie I literally jumped off the couch when I saw this. I don't use that word in the incorrect modern usage to mean figuratively. So this is what it's like without Rick Smith leading the way. I think I can get used to it.

Honestly I’m not too impressed by him, but still I’m glad we went and got a young big name guy. 

Im guessing there wasn’t much of a market or he wouldn’t have signed a 1 year deal. 

So we get him on a mission to earn a big contract. 

Do these additions and better health get us back to a super bowl level D?

because if we get last years Watson, with a better line we could be really good 

Hard not to be excited about this. Great deal for both sides. 3 biggest issues last year were the oline, secondary, and special teams. They’ve already signed 6 guys that directly impact those problem areas. It’s  very nice to see.

6 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

Happy to have him. Does he play FS for us?

... Really not sure how this secondary will shake out right now. 

good question.  He played FS with Arizona and we have Hal there.  I know he can play both safety positions. Interesting to see where he plays.

Kinda glad Vrabel got the HC at Tennessee now - it didn't look like he knew how to position a secondary, but we know Romeo knows. 

Romeo is going to unleash Mathieu, just let him loose on teams. 

I feel really good about this move. Easily one of my favorite moves in team history.

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

good question.  He played FS with Arizona and we have Hal there.  I know he can play both safety positions. Interesting to see where he plays.

Not exactly, Mathieu played probably 75% of his snaps as a slot corner, which is where he plays best at. I'd call him below average when he has to play the actual safety position. He's a good slot corner though. Don't be fooled into thinking he's elite. There's a reason we were comfortable releasing him. 7M is about how much he should be worth, but he'll make that back for Houston in jersey sales. 

He's an exciting player but does get a bit overrated, that being said he's fun to watch and I hope he performs like he did in 2015 for you guys

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kinda glad Vrabel got the HC at Tennessee now - it didn't look like he knew how to position a secondary, but we know Romeo knows. 

Romeo is going to unleash Mathieu, just let him loose on teams. 

I feel really good about this move. Easily one of my favorite moves in team history.

its our best fa move in team history for sure.

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

its our best fa move in team history for sure.

I'd actually put Jonathan Joseph ahead of him. Joseph was a multi Pro Bowler and team leader for us for a decade. You rarely have any team score on a FA like that.

As much as we love this move, it could be Ed Reed all over again. Or could be a one year rental, who knows.

So I spent a good deal of time on another thread justifying why Earl Thomas is a far better player and a much better fit for the Texans.  I still wholeheartedly believe this as Thomas is a hall of famer with several elite level season's left in him, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that we could get Mathieu on a 1 year $7 million prove it deal.  I am hoping we tap the brakes on Mathieu's abilities as I absolutely fall into the "overrated" camp as he's 2 years removed from his one great season, plays the same spot Kareem/Colvin and Kevin Johnson play, and last year was the first time he actually stayed healthy a full season while being pretty average in taking a backseat to Budda Baker.  However, the talent gap between him and Gilchrist represents as big of a free agent upgrade the Texans have had at any position since Pollard to D. Manning (J.Joseph will forever be the greatest overall talent improvement in my book as he essentially improved 3 positions in allowing us to move Quin to SS (E. Wilson out), helped Kareem become a serviceable #2 a few seasons, and took us from one of the worst coverage units to one of the best in a single season as a true elite #1.

The true spectacular part is in the deal.  There are just so many ridiculous comps it's hard to know where to start, but let's start with him being paid less next year than Kareem ($2 million less!) and Jeff Allen both of whom have been amongst worst starters at their positions in the league multiple seasons.  Around the league, we're talking about a 25 year old getting the same deal the Bucs just paid for 34 year old Brent Grimes.   The Jags paid the same to bring in Donte Moncrief who put up Bruce Ellington level production 3 of his 4 seasons.  The Cardinals crack smoking front office will be paying Jermaine Gresham (a 30 year old TE that has never topped 400 years or 2 td for them) more next year.  Eric Weddle is one of my favorite safeties ever, but the 33 year old version will be playing for $8.2 million next year.  Sure, TM will be in a position to get right back to his top shelf 5 year / $62 million deal the Cards tore up if he plays back to 2015 level, but not only do we get the first crack at renewing him, but we likely score a 3rd round comp pick if we don't.  The part that will be difficult to quantify is the credibility boost the Texans get due to the respect Mathieu holds with his peers as an incredibly popular player at a time where the Texans absolutely need a boost with the Duane Brown, Kaep, Reid (Jereme Solomon) narrative.  

I'll address his fit in the secondary in a separate post as I think we absolutely have to adjust to the fact that we lack size, man to man coverage skill outside of a slowing Joseph, and deep speed, but I trust Crennel's ability to scheme us into success way more than Vrabel who made a bad situation worse with his inability to gameplan or adjust to minimize obvious mismatches other than sitting in soft cover 4 for slow but certain death.  I also hope we're not done as I'd love to see EJ Gaines round this out as a potential #1 as we're still sitting around with $40 mil in cap space and cutting Kareem would add $6.75m more.

Archived