Ryan Jensen made highest paid C by Tampa Bay

AFlaccoSeagulls

7 minutes ago, BucShot said:

Can any Ravens fans make this Bucs fan feel better about this deal? Like is Jensen really good? Or is Jason Licht drunk again?

He's a good player, and I would really have liked to see him back, but the contract seems a BIT high if I'm being honest.

Strong and moves well, also has a bit of a nasty streak.

1 hour ago, BucShot said:

Can any Ravens fans make this Bucs fan feel better about this deal? Like is Jensen really good? Or is Jason Licht drunk again?

-He looked pretty good in his one season as a starter. 

-He plays with a nasty edge that I don't see going away now that he's paid

-Center is a key position. There was a massive difference in the line this year largely because Jenses replaced the scrub we got from you, Jeremy Zuttah.

-The money is always overblown when there's a new top paid player at his position. The cap is way up there and rising, so contracts will grow.

2 hours ago, BucShot said:

Is he as good as Frederick/Mack/Hudson et al?  No, but I'd say that he's probably only one tier below that.

The Bucs have overpaid by ~$3m/yr, but that's the price you pay in FA and as noted above, with the rising cap the effect of that is lessened 

2 hours ago, BucShot said:

Honestly? He's drunk. Jensen was "solid" (like maybe a top 10 center?) last year for us, in his first year starting, but that's about it. You guys massively overpaid for him.

43 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Here's hoping we actually get a 3rd round comp pick for him at least

Based off the contracts dished out this offseason, I wonder if we might only get a 4th... though I’m clearly not very knowledgeable on how the comp selections are established.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Based off the contracts dished out this offseason, I wonder if we might only get a 4th... though I’m clearly not very knowledgeable on how the comp selections are established.

I think it's very much borderline if it'll be a 3rd or a 4th.  It ending up as a 4th would not surprise me at all

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

9 hours ago, drd23 said:

I think it's very much borderline if it'll be a 3rd or a 4th.  It ending up as a 4th would not surprise me at all

FWIW I was pretty surprised we only got a 6th this year.  I think the committee decided that something offset Wagner and one of our lower departures pulled the weight for us.

23 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

FWIW I was pretty surprised we only got a 6th this year.  I think the committee decided that something offset Wagner and one of our lower departures pulled the weight for us.

Yeah it was because Wagner would’ve net a 3rd round comp had he played the entire season. His injury lowered him to a 4th round comp. That then allowed him to be cancelled out by a lesser comp pick. Had he completed the additional 3 games, we would’ve earned a 3rd round come pick.

Wagner also ONLY got 9.5m AAV. If he would have gotten to $10M then we probably would have been golden pretty much regardless of what else happened. Like 90%+ of the time all that matters is AAV. Wagner had to have been REALLY on the border to drop.

I think Jensen's contract is solid 3rd.

So unless I'm missing something, we've produced/developed the highest paid guard, right tackle, and center in NFL history in back to back to back offseasons.

While holding on to a franchise LT and the best RG of the era.

If you can't see that this organization develops offensive lineman at a clip or two above the norm, then you are incapable of acknowledging the things they do well. 

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So unless I'm missing something, we've produced/developed the highest paid guard, right tackle, and center in NFL history in back to back to back offseasons.

While holding on to a franchise LT and the best RG of the era.

If you can't see that this organization develops offensive lineman at a clip or two above the norm, then you are incapable of acknowledging the things they do well. 

Well said.  I'm "liked" out at the moment, but will need to circle back to this comment in a few hours.  Really hit the nail on the head.

Archived